Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to work a half day today. Left work at noon and gave my truck and trailer to one of the other workers to move some machines around. Got a text about 30 minutes later saying he had been pulled over and was being given an inspection. I wasn't too worried about it since I keep my truck and trailer in great shape and give it weekly maintenance. Apparently the officer couldn't find anything wrong despite a 20 minute inspection, but wrote a ticket for 1 tire being "2 psi under-inflated"! :mad: He said my truck and our company has been "flagged". I don't know what that means, but I'll have to wait until I get into work tomorrow to see the ticket.

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
Sounds like a visit to the magistrate is in order.

With any luck you'll get one that tells the cop to get over his cranial-rectal inversion.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Dave this guy was clearly busting them on you and the driver. He wanted to get something out of it for his time so he did. As far as the flagged thing goes my guess would be if you get pulled over again it will be on your record for a safety violation.
My uncle was pulled over in his ten wheeler years ago for a bad steering linkage according to the DOT. He calls a friend for help and they removed it on the spot and brought it to a dealer, the dealer said it looked fine to him and he wouldn't replace it if it was his truck. So my uncle bought a new one anyway but when he returned he put the old one back on the truck and the DOT looked at it and said "okay you can go".
:popcorn2

He then returned the new one.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
cops love to bust them on you and if it is in good shape they have to save face and find something wrong. i guess the only thing you could do about that is go to an independent inspection station have a report then go to the news channel to say they have no idea what they are looking for to make the state quota for tickest to justify there jobs.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cops love to bust them on you and if it is in good shape they have to save face and find something wrong. i guess the only thing you could do about that is go to an independent inspection station have a report then go to the news channel to say they have no idea what they are looking for to make the state quota for tickest to justify there jobs.
Quotas aren't legal in Michigan. I do need a new inspection sticker soon though, so I might have to try that if we can't get it settled.

Apparently the officer is hot headed though and thinks he knows the book inside and out. I know for a fact that the only thing wrong with my trailer is that it is missing mud flaps because the owner of the company is a penny pincher and doesn't want to buy them and my truck has 20% window tint all the way around. So technically, he should have written a ticket for that, but he missed that and instead I get 2 psi under-inflated. My new worker said that the officer was treating this trailer like it had a bomb strapped to it. He says he was under the trailer on a creeper looking for loose wires, ran the VIN on the trailer, making sure the jack stands were all the way up ($100 per crank) and even went to the point of checking to make sure the valve stem caps were on tight.

I guess in a way it's a small blessing that it was my truck though and not some one elses. My boss doesn't use saftey chains on our goosenecks because his truck doesn't have hooks for them, half the lights on his trailer are out, the license plate isn't actually permanetly fixed to the vehicle (it's duct taped to the rear bumper, etc.

I guess I'll just have to go in early tomorrow to fill up the tire on the trailer before I head out for the day. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
530 Posts
this DOT BS is getting strong around here too and im so tempted to take the stickers off all the trucks and put not for hire in their place. Truly, we are not hired to transport anything - only to care for property. Would this be wrong? Or even leaving the company stickers on and putting not for hire under them in leu of a DOT number?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Lately the big one around here is they bust us for not having our name on a commercial vehicle. Tow a 5th wheel and its personal, tow a mower and its commercial. Sometimes I think the road side inspection guys are just bucking for job security.

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
How can they even write a ticket for that little a number under pressure? All it takes is 2 different gauges and you could have 2 pounds of difference. Or even more especially with those sliding gauges.
Exactly, that's why I'd fight it.

this DOT BS is getting strong around here too and im so tempted to take the stickers off all the trucks and put not for hire in their place. Truly, we are not hired to transport anything - only to care for property. Would this be wrong? Or even leaving the company stickers on and putting not for hire under them in leu of a DOT number?
Not in MI.

Still a CMV, whether hauling our own crap or someone else's.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well went in this moring to start figuring stuff out. Apparently the worker that was driving the truck straight up called the officer an a-hole because he pulled them over and not the Chopper with no plate, tail light, or turn signals that was in the lane next to them. :rolleyes:

So that would explain the lengthy inspection we got and boy was I pissed off when I actually got the ticket and inspection report in my hands this morning and got a chance to read them.

The ticket was for:
1.) Tire - Under 2 Depth: CMV OUT OF SERVICE
2.) Cargo - Mowers not tied down

So it means the tire was under 2/32" tread depth. I don't know how my worker got 2 psi under inflated from that! :rolleyes: The sad part is I was already aware of this and had tires on order already and I have an appointment to take the trailer in on Friday to get them installed.

I have 14 days to take it to court. So as long as I take a receipt of the new tires with me, that should be thrown out. I am fighting the Cargo charge though. My mowers don't have to be tied down because we installed high rails on the trailer that go 3/4 of the way up the tire. He wrote in the comments that the rail needs to be higher than the center of gravity of the mower (61" Scag Turf Tiger), which he claims would be at the top of the rear wheel well. That is BS. There is no way that the vertical center of gravity is that high up on those mowers.

Oh and "flagged" means that the vehicle has been taken out of service and if they see you on the road with it, it gets impounded.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Apparently the worker that was driving the truck straight up called the officer an a-hole because he pulled them over and not the Chopper with no plate, tail light, or turn signals that was in the lane next to them
We had exactly the same "problem" this summer. One of our guys was pulled over for operating in a No Heavy Truck zone, while pulled over 3 tri axles went passed. Our guy brought this to the officers attention and was told " I didn't pull them over, I pulled you over" at which point our guy called the officer an a-hole and got 3 tickets on the spot. Some times its just not your day, or so we find out. :D:D:D

Good luck with the trailer fine, hopefully the tire receipt makes one go away.

·
Registered
526 Posts
... and was told " I didn't pull them over, I pulled you over" ....
When this sort of thing was pointed out to an officer whom pulled over someone for speeding, and they commented that they were not the fastest car, the officer asked if the guy was a fisherman, when the guy said yes.. the cop said, "Well, when you go fishing, do you catch ALL the fish?"

Cop had a point, and the guy accepted his ticket!

·
Registered
529 Posts
they commented that they were not the fastest car, the officer asked if the guy was a fisherman, when the guy said yes.. the cop said, "Well, when you go fishing, do you catch ALL the fish?"
I love that analogy. I'm going to enlighten our driver who got pulled over with that one this morning when I hit the shop.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Sometimes its not just luck of the draw that you get stopped.

Was running through New Orleans once and someone says theres a cop at the end of the bridge. I figures i would be good since i wasnt speeding or anything but he pulls me over anyway. I didnt know they had lowered the weight limit on the bridge and while standing there dealing with the officer i figured out why he stopped me. All the other trucks were locals, running day cabs and were empty, i was the lone out of town, over the road truck. Pretty much had stop me written all down the side of the truck.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
Dave
When the office said you/company were flagged he was referring probably to the fact that you do not have a score in SAFER or FMCSA or that previous violations have given you a high score. When an officer puts your DOT number in the system if you have either a high score or a low number of inspections the system will "flag" it and requires/recommends the officer does at least a level 2 inspection. At least thats what the FMCSA states.

Even though you may not recieve a fine you will still have points levied against you and the driver in the CSA 2010 system and you will continue to be flagged until you get a bunch of "clean inspections" to offset the OOS violations.

As far as the tie down requirements go, I know of no exception in the law that allows for reduced tie downs for rolling equipment based on having it contained within sides of a trailer. If it was a totally enclosed trailer you might have an argument but even totally enclosed trailers require loads be blocked from movement so I am not sure where that would go.

We run 4 tractor trailers and a triaxle dump as well as 3 other dumps and all of my drivers have been warned that they are to NEVER argue (let alone call an officer a name) with an officer during an inspection or a traffic stop because of the way that CSA 2010 effects the company as well as their driver safety rating which is eventually going to affect insurance rates we pay.

It is better to accept the ticket and deal with it from a management level with a phone call to the state DOT office. I have had good results with this approach.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well went in this moring to start figuring stuff out. Apparently the worker that was driving the truck straight up called the officer an a-hole because he pulled them over and not the Chopper with no plate, tail light, or turn signals that was in the lane next to them. :rolleyes:

So that would explain the lengthy inspection we got and boy was I pissed off when I actually got the ticket and inspection report in my hands this morning and got a chance to read them.

The ticket was for:
1.) Tire - Under 2 Depth: CMV OUT OF SERVICE
2.) Cargo - Mowers not tied down

So it means the tire was under 2/32" tread depth. I don't know how my worker got 2 psi under inflated from that! :rolleyes: The sad part is I was already aware of this and had tires on order already and I have an appointment to take the trailer in on Friday to get them installed.

I have 14 days to take it to court. So as long as I take a receipt of the new tires with me, that should be thrown out. I am fighting the Cargo charge though. My mowers don't have to be tied down because we installed high rails on the trailer that go 3/4 of the way up the tire. He wrote in the comments that the rail needs to be higher than the center of gravity of the mower (61" Scag Turf Tiger), which he claims would be at the top of the rear wheel well. That is BS. There is no way that the vertical center of gravity is that high up on those mowers.

Oh and "flagged" means that the vehicle has been taken out of service and if they see you on the road with it, it gets impounded.
I think the problem has been highlighted. If someone that worked for me swore at a cop, he would be fired. Today.

I would be shocked if you get a gimme on the tires just because you ordered some.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the tire charges thrown out which was $800. They wouldn't let me go on the "secure cargo" fine though. It was $200. They said if we raise the bars another 6" the mowers don't have to be tied down, so it looks like I have a winter project now.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Never call someone in authority a name, not a good thing. I've been told that you can say, "in my opinion you're an _______" , he can't give out a ticket for your having an opinion. If he gives out a ticket I suppose you could take him to court where he would have to prove your opinion to be incorrect. I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts