Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem and I thought you all might have some ideas based on your experiences.

I just had a Hiniker plow installed on my Dodge Ram and the lift cylinder contacts the front license plate bracket and would break the plastic bracket if it wasn't already broken (A few days prior to the install appointment a deer bounced off the bumper). I need to replace the bracket with something that either moves the plate up or back toward the bumper. NY makes their plates out of tissue paper reinforced with water color paints so I can't just take off the bracket and bolt the plate directly to the bumper: It would be gone the first time a breeze kicked up. I like to use solid mounts and edge frames to minimize the risk of damage to/loss of the plates (and trips to the DMV).

This is the style I have on the truck: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00OO1YXOA

But, the cylinder is occupying the same space as the center of the bottom of the bracket.

Any ideas or suggestions for solidly remounting the front plate? I have looked at some universal mounts and doodads on Amazon but they look like they are geared toward appearance over function and I need something with substance.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is an idea, I will take the bracket and see if the shaping will translate if I move it to the side. I have to work on the grille this morning anyway.

I hate drilling new holes in any metal on a vehicle. They start disassembling themselves at the molecular level immediately. That's why I am hoping to find a thinner bracket.

Thanks for the input, I'll post my findings.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
That is an idea, I will take the bracket and see if the shaping will translate if I move it to the side. I have to work on the grille this morning anyway.

I hate drilling new holes in any metal on a vehicle. They start disassembling themselves at the molecular level immediately. That's why I am hoping to find a thinner bracket.

Thanks for the input, I'll post my findings.
I understand not wanting to put more holes in the truck...

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have a Hiniker on my dodge and there are no conflicts between the lift RAM and the license plate actually there is a lot of room between the two.

I would check the height of your mound and make sure that it’s at the proper height .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a picture of the rig:

The lift ram, as you can see in these pictures, is contacting and pressing in on the license plate bracket and trim. As I noted above, the bracket was already damaged by bouncing Bambi last week. The contact here is enough that it would have broken the plastic plate frame (they are brittle) and probably bent the plate and bracket a little if it wasn't already damaged. The prior damage has exacerbated the problem.

So I spent time yesterday trying to figure out exactly how much interference I had. And what options were available to me using what I have or new parts. It appeared to be worse than it actually is because of the prior damage.

1) I did establish that the plate frame will conform to the bumper going to the left or right along the area where the opening is above the chrome bumper. Shifting the plate is a matter of drilling new holes to mount it.

2) The plate bracket sticks out farther from the truck than it did before the deer strike and a new one will be tighter to the bumper. Also I found that the bracket was mounted using two of the bushing on the right:

I replaced them with two of the bushing on the left. I did what I could to get the plastic back into shape and remounted the bracket. With the thinner bushings and the plastic plate frame in place the ram just touches the bracket. Without the plastic frame there is just a bit of daylight between the cylinder and the bracket.

3) I looked at the lower mount and there are holes above and below that I could use to adjust the lower brace height, but then I may not be in line with the plow for hooking up.

I am going to order a new bracket and a thinner plate frame (probably of aluminum from the looks of what is available). After I install it I will see if I have daylight. If I don't, I think I can get away with removing some material from the area where the cylinder contacts the bracket until I have no rub there. Or I could lower the cross brace of the mount one hole. If the forks will still slide into the plow with it there. We will see. I'll update when I have gotten the parts.

As an aside, I am not exactly pleased with the install of this plow. It looks like it is technically correct, but decisions were made that I would not have made.

As you can see in the pictures, there was a lot more cut out of the lower air dam than was needed. I am still trying to figure out how I want to run the power and control wires to the plow. The installer popped out the panel above the chrome and below the body colored part of the bumper and, after cutting a hole through the valance below the radiator, fed the cables through that hole to flop in the breeze. No real control off the cables. There is a grill mount plate shown in the Hiniker install manual, it's an extra cost part. I'm still cogitating on whether I want to go that route.

He failed to replace the christmas trees that hold the bumper cover and that panel I mentioned above in place, so I had to buy a bag of them. I may run the cables out under the grill on the side and then store them in the (relatively) sheltered area in front of the radiator. Which would mean putting that panel back in place.

He also didn't remount the outside temperature sensor when he put the headlight assembly on the driver's side back on after hooking up the lighting. And he drilled a hole in the console for the controller cable to feed out. Fine, but it is then by your feet and has no place to be that isn't going to get it dirty, stepped on and in the way. I took it out of the hole and fed the cable under the console until it got to the seat. It comes out there and sets below the seat frame. When not in use it coils up and sits under the seat. When in use it comes up at the seat and isn't falling on the floor with your feet.

He used a silicone sealant on the firewall with a sharp smelling off gas. Every time I get in the truck it hits me. And since it is cold out, the curing process will be a lot longer than it would be in the summer. Oh, joy.

At the end of the day, these are all things that I can take care of and get to my liking. I suppose I could take it back and give them my gripe list, but:

1) I suspect that the installer's decision making would still not be in line with my decision making and each correction would just be another point of departure for us.
2) I can't really be without a vehicle for the day it would take for them to attempt to address my issues. I had to borrow a vehicle for the day he had it for the install.
3) The more I address the issues, the better acquainted I am becoming with how it was installed and where things are so I will be able to more easily make repairs and troubleshoot problems.

Now that I have expressed my inner bitchy ex, I will end this long post.

Thank you everyone for your input. Any additional thoughts or ideas are always welcome.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Something is up with your mount I didn’t need to cut my valance it didn’t even come close to it .

The attachment prongs on the truck should be mounted so that when you measure from the bottom edge of the prongs to the ground it’s 10 inches or as close to that as possible That is why I asked about the height of your mount
7E1CB5A3-D5E0-4577-8310-CA027D031081.jpeg
947AD737-7F9B-4A1D-980E-FE6EB985052C.jpeg

First picture is of the plow down the second picture is of the plow all the way up

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The attachment prongs on the truck should be mounted so that when you measure from the bottom edge of the prongs to the ground it’s 10 inches or as close to that as possible That is why I asked about the height of your mount
I went out and measured the height of the prongs and they are (without the plow installed) at about 9 inches between the pavement and the bottom of the prongs.

I also noted that there are two holes on the upper link where the lift cylinder attaches. The cylinder is attached to the upper of the two holes. If I switch holes, the cylinder would be slightly lower and have more clearance with the plate bracket.

I have skimmed through the manual and I don't see anything about those lower holes. All the diagrams show the upper ones being used. I guess the question becomes: Is there any reason not to change to the other set of holes and see what happens?

Also, they just changed the owners manual revision in the last couple days. It is now revision 'C'.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered a new license plate mounting bracket and stainless steel plate frame (thinner frame). I installed them and here is the result: About an eighth of an inch of daylight between the cylinder and the plate frame.

I also sent a message to Hiniker asking about using the other holes on the upper link. Apparently, they don't answer messages Thanksgiving week. I don't know how much 'bounce' the plow assembly has when going down the road, so whether that 1/8" is sufficient gap is an open question. If Hiniker gives me a response to my questions I'll post them up here so future readers will have the information.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I went out and measured the height of the prongs and they are (without the plow installed) at about 9 inches between the pavement and the bottom of the prongs.

I also noted that there are two holes on the upper link where the lift cylinder attaches. The cylinder is attached to the upper of the two holes. If I switch holes, the cylinder would be slightly lower and have more clearance with the plate bracket.

I have skimmed through the manual and I don't see anything about those lower holes. All the diagrams show the upper ones being used. I guess the question becomes: Is there any reason not to change to the other set of holes and see what happens?

Also, they just changed the owners manual revision in the last couple days. It is now revision 'C'.
I know you said you skimmed it but
B91D663D-4BA7-4F32-95CF-5E807C485C5B.jpeg
maybe you should slow down and read it page 5 operating procedures

·
Registered
677 Posts
Then about the plow hitting your truck what model of truck is this plow going on ?
do you have a snow plow prep package do you have a three-quarter ton?
You may have to put a leveling kit in it to raise the front .
how tall are your tires
All this will always affect how your plow/truck is set up
it’s become obvious to me that my truck, Dodge sits much higher than yours.

As your plow is set up now you are using the correct holes,go ahead try the others but make sure to run your plow at home first because I don’t think you’ll be happy.

See page 14 plow assembly
But then again you skimmed through your manual, right????

BD5DCC34-D0FF-4046-BD50-8CA9816EDAD7.jpeg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate you doing some research for me. I really do. But, you may want to dial your snark back a bit. 1) That manual is not the manual Hiniker has published for the 702, 752, 702SS and 752SS. The information is not in my manual. 2) The upper link in the page you posted is not the same as the upper link in my picture above: Mine is bent and is bolted. No clevis pin.

The information about the two holes

Pinning through the lower of the two holes will increase downward plow travel for taller trucks, but will reduce lift height.
is exactly the information that I was looking for. It isn't in my manual, though.

The truck is a 1500 with 20" tires and the closest it will ever get to paid service is if I get really bored on a day when a snow storm keeps me from being able to work. In other words, when they issue a travel ban and close the roads to unnecessary travel.

I will be trying the other position when I get a chance and will report back.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The issue is with you & your truck not the plow.

Maybe a different plow is needed.
when you go to stack snow the plow is going to rise even higher than is does under its own power.

Your conflict could become a major issue.

Cut back on the snark?
Why when you have all theses issues and you only skimmed the manuals.
Funny how the info is in my manual...

·
Registered
677 Posts
I didn’t help with the goal of making
New friends, I allready have some.

The facts are the facts.
Poor truck choice
Poor plow choice
Blames others for his Choice
Doesn’t read the manual.
Is a bit anal retentive over a lic plate.

Somehow only my manual shows the info.

If he doesn’t like hearing others views
Maybe the internet isn’t for him.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I didn’t help with the goal of making
New friends, I allready have some.

The facts are the facts.
Poor truck choice
Poor plow choice
Blames others for his Choice
Doesn’t read the manual.
Is a bit anal retentive over a lic plate.

Somehow only my manual shows the info.

If he doesn’t like hearing others views
Maybe the internet isn’t for him.
poor truck choice how do come to this conclusion?
poor plow choice—how is this case if Hiniker makes one to fit his truck and he has one.
blames poor choice on others? He complained about the installation not the plow itself.
doesnt read the manual again that isn’t supported by his evidence.
your manual might not cover his model plow.

you as always Snofarmer hate the idea of not being the final word of authority on any topic...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SnoFarmer, you are a piece of work.

I thanked you for sharing the information that is in your manual. I linked my manual which does not have that information. If you are determined to show that you are a superior being and know it all, you really should cite where in the manual published by Hiniker for my plow it shows the information that you provided from your manual. Go ahead, I'll wait.

As to whether I have the "right" truck or "right" plow, that is really a matter of opinion. I doubt that I am going to be at some huge disadvantage using a 1/2 ton pickup and Hiniker plow to plow the same driveway I have been plowing with a Jeep Wrangler (and before that a Jeep CJ-7) with a Meyer E47 plow for the last twenty years. Maybe it takes a massive Jeep to do the job, not some puny 1/2 ton pickup. I guess I'll find out. It certainly won't effect you either way it works out.

Who did I blame for what? Are you confusing this thread with another? Or, is it just your standard recipe for starting fights with strangers on the internet?

The license plate? OK. That's fair. But I note that you get off picking fights with strangers on the internet and I like a firmly attached and protected license plate. My hobby is certainly less antisocial than yours, but you do you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts