Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed three U edges on our Boss V's at the start of the season. I like certain attributes about the U edges, but I don't think I'm sold on them. Other than loosing two of the three snow catchers to being ripped off and having to ultimately replace both the catcher and the main hinge pin, we haven't had any real mechical problems.

For a 2500 HD with an 8'2" V for residential drives, we're going to switch back to steel. The U edge is just leaving too much snow in the drive and for back dragging we're not getting the snow up. The U edge does a nice job coating the surface making it tough to plow down to pavement. And yes, the edges have been worn in.

In commercial lots, on some occasions the U edge cleans nicely. But generally leaves a coating of slush or snow that disappears once we salt.

I like how quiet the urethane is and how how it doesn't beat up curbs. My blade doesn't trip as much either.

I've heard/read the hype and how happy everyone is with their blades. I think urethane definetly has its place, but I'm just wondering if its in our drives and parking lots. Am I doing something wrong? Why does everyone else think urethane is the next best thing? Just hoping someone will help to convince me to not switch back to steel wholesale.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well, from what I have heard from others with V-blades, is that even with steal edges, is that they dont clean up all that well. Or as one friend put it, it leaves around a 1/4" to 1/2" under the edge.

When the plow is set down on the ground is the U-edge touching the pavement? Does it clean better in any particular possition(i.e.-scoop, straight, v, right or left angle)? I no I have heard of other guys replacing the center float(or whatever its called) to try and get the plow to scrape better.

Chuck B.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have a 8 foot fisher standard steel cutting edge it scrapes right to the pavement in most cases.I have had no problems at all except back bladeing.I dont even see a need to try a U edge at this point.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am experiencing the exact same things, but on a straight blade. I am going to try cutting an angle in the base to get the leading edge on the ground. But if that doesn't fix it, it comes off.

Steve

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
No U edge for me, Im perfectly happy with my loud 5/8" thick steel edge. :D I never used one, so Im not knocking it, but wouldnt give one a chance either. Im sure the guys who use them and swear by them mean it, but like I said in the other thread, I guess im just used to the old way of doing things. I got my solenoid control, my 11 year old truck, and my steel edge and Im as happy with them as a pig in poop, lol! :D I must take after my father, he hates change, and so do I. If Im totally happy with something, I will not try to alter it or change it, or even give something new a try, I guess thats a bad quality to have though. :confused: Mike :cool:

·
Registered
660 Posts
GEEZEEE!,

I hope I have better luck than LawnLad with U-Edges on a BOSS V.

I have TWO major reasons that I'm going with Uurethane.

1) As the BOSS V is designed, it cant physically trip in 90% of its positions. And 90% of the things I hit are under 1" in height. Hopefully the softness and flexability of Urethane will be more forgiving and slip up over the small obstructions.

2) I plow a few nice driveways. You know the ones, a nice concrete curb then the concrete apron then a nice paved driveway. During the Summer while mowing these lawns I see the damage a large, heavy V-Plow leaves. Big scrapes and gouges in the concrete apron and curbing, and often times scrapes driveway sealer right off any slightly higher pavement in the macadam. These customers never complain, but I KNOW they see this damage. A Urethane edge will ELIMINATE this!

There's also another big Estate I mow that I currently DON'T plow because of how perfect the paving is. I KNOW they would complain if I scraped up the pavement.

So, those are my reasons, and HOPEFULLY, when I get my Edges, installed, my CAST IRON center SHOE (Pre snow catcher BOSS)re-installed, and properly wear in the edge, (so that the leading edge hits before the trailing edge of the cutting edge) I would hope that it would work as advertised.

Clean scraping has never been a problem with my BOSS, but my 8' Meyer DOES almost Squeegie a lot compared to the BOSS. The BOSS just has more area on the ground, while the straight edges have it all on 5/8" strip 8' long.

Any other BOSS V Urethane edge users out there? I sure hope LawnLads experiences aren't the norm.

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
This is a little off topic, but I plowed a lot last year with a 9.5' Western V with steel edges. Side by side with an 8' Western straight plow with a steel edge. Hands down the straight plow scraped much better, no matter what I tried. I do not mean that the V didn't scrape up hard pack, just that the straight plow left less snow and ice on the surface.

The other thing I noticed is that the V plow left about as much on the surface as the 14' Pro Tech with a U edge on it. We were all working the same areas of a large lot.

Maybe Boss is different, but side by side, the straight plow scrapes better than the other 2 pieces.

~Chuck

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
v plows do not scrap as well as full trip straight plows, either u edge or steel

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I look back at the other night of plowing and chuckle a little. I had to switch from my steel cutting edge blade to one with urethane on it mid storm. I tripped the Boss V and snapped the steel cutting edge. I thought I had torn the snow catcher off at first becasue I left a trail of snow in the middle of the blade, but as it turns out I broke the cutting edge. If I had been using urethane from the get go, I might not have tripped on the concrete apron at the street (1.5" concrete lip at edge of driveway apron).

I do believe that straight edges clean better than V's. I'm also thinking that steel cleans better than urethane. The urethane edges on my V's clear better in the straight blade position over the V position. Perhaps the combination of urethane on a V is just a bad combination. I can definetly see the application, for instance a cobble stone driveway we plow or other specialty pavement. But using urethane across the board on all plows may not be the best bet.

I'm hoping that there will be some supporters of urethane who might have some suggestions for me. I wish I had taken pictures of what some of the lots looked like after I plowed them with the urethane. Problem is that night time pictures don't come out very well.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Lawn lad - Just curious, what type of snow was it. If it was high in water content, and the temps were dropping fast, these conditions may have played a factor. We have had problems with our u-edges when similar factors occurred.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
This last storm we had 5" of powder and then rain. Ended up with ash ptatoes to push around, the u edges squeegeed real nice. As soon as the rain started, the u edges cleaned up real nice real quick. I pushed side by side with an 8' meyer straight plow with a u edge vs my my 8.5' western v plow, and the meyer scraped alot better.

The last storm was 8" of mixed type of snow. Everybodies lots steel and u edges all looked the same.

Dino

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have found the wetter the snow the better the U edge scrapes. The advantages far out weigh the disatvantage, and thats scraping ice. Otherwise it is a better edge.
I mounted my U Edge with a 1/2X6 cutting edge in front of it. I flipped the steel edge upside down so it doesn't cover the u edge as much. This has caused the U edge to compress slightly and just enough so that when the plow trips the U edge keeps it from flipping back giving the edge a strait up possition when plowing. It scrapes 100% better like that. The edge needs to break in again at that angle because it's chattering. I want to modify the flip edge now to keep this angle. Any concerns with this? I will move the mounts for the trip springs up so they are not compressed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I put a u edge on my 8.2 Boss v for the last snow 2" of wet snow should have done well under those conditions but i like my new 9.2 V with the steel edge better. I will see if it does any better next snow . If I new they didn't work well on a V plow I wouldn't have bought one. I like the forgiveness that comes with the U
edge at least I could see black top after plowing and they are easier on the truck. I think all equipment has + 's and -'s there is always a trade off .

Steve

·
Registered
333 Posts
well im not going to say anything good or bad about U edges.i like my steel blades and never saw a need to switch to a U edge.
i rather replace my steel edges every year for 100 than buy a U edge for 300.in 3 seasons i only replaced one blade edge do to it being a 6 year old plow.

if i don't see sparks coming from under my trucks than the job isn't getting done 100% :burnout lol

·
Registered
832 Posts
As Dino said most of the lots and drives we do look as good or better then those cleared with steel.
Having sold and installed polyurethane edges for more than a few years now would say that most of the plowers that have polyurethane edges on would not go back to steel.
I agree there has to be a better way to fill the void in the center on the vee plow to help with the scraping and clean up with less snow pass thru.
Sometimes you have to look at the trade offs as far as damage to the plow or the pavement..
So many times I'm asked if a poly edge is going to last longer then steel, well alot has to do with what type surfaces your plowing and how much you lay it into the curbs and corners.
Polyurethane edges aren't for everyone, and I think some are buying them because others are.
If you are looking to bid on those brick and custom pavers then you can service the account without steel contacting the surface and no worries of damaged curbs or pavement if you installed your edge properly.
In this area I hear all the time that some of the homeowners associations are requirering rubber or poly edges to even be allowed to bid.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm glad I tried the U edges. I switched one of the three trucks back to steel today, the 8'2 for residential plowing. I got several complaints that we weren't getting down to the pavement and the operator of the truck didn't like the urethane. Can't argue with that. For now I'll run two blades with the urethane to see how it goes and if it improves. I bought steel replacements and they're sitting in the garage if I decide to switch.

This has defintely been a learning lesson, and one that I think is worth explaining/defining. I am open to trying new things, always have been and probably always will be... it's just who I am. I think to be competitive you have to be willing to try new things so you can get an edge on your competition and offer a better service to your customers. We tried Magic Salt last year, I like it. I'm still using it. But I find it has it's place. It is NOT the next best thing to sliced bread or the second coming. I tried urethane edges on my plows this year. Mixed results thus far. For sure I think it's necessary on our ATV. I'll see on the straight edge blades if it's worthwhile. When we bought our Dingo five years ago or whenever it came out on the market, it was a great tool for certain applications.

The lesson I've learned here is that it's good to try new things. It's good to have exposure to new things on a site like this. You won't find this exchange of informaiton and ideas locally. I believe I have to try things more slowly. I'm a guy who jumps in head first and gives it my all. Perhaps one u edge would have been better than three or four. Perhaps a couple pallets of Magic would have been better than two semi loads.

For all of the hype I read and the praise that some heap upon certain things, I'll take it with a grain of salt. When I first read about V plows, I thought wow - I can't wait to try them. Last year I bought three and this year another. I don't regret buying them. Will I buy a Blizzard plow? The next plow truck we buy I'll probably try a Blizzard, I just won't buy three right away.

It's tough for me not to jump into new things head first. But I think I'm learning ever so slowly that it's okay to tread more softly with new things. For whatever it's worth I share my thoughts as a bit of a cautionary tale.

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Doug, IMO the thing you should try is a back blade (pull plow) They will out perform any plow for backdragging and save time.

What Chuck and Dino state is true, a straight plow will clean better than a v plow in any position. I noticed that right away when we switched to v plows 14 years ago.

We've had good results with the urethane on our Boss. It was not MPT and I don't remember what brand, but it did last two years and we now have an MPT urethane edge on it. I can just about say I will never go back to steel edges. The wear and tear on the plow and truck is enough for me to continue on with urethane. I've always said, if a customer wants bare pavement, then they need to pay for salting. I would never guarantee bare pavement with just plowing. (I won't with salting either, but it's a better bet.)

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
The past weekend storm was my first with a U edge on my new X blade . We got 6"of snow then it proceeded to rain Heavily for 6 hours . THe snow was water filled concrete . Tough to push ( I actually felt I had to use 4LO and did . THe U edge worked great . There is much less vibration transmitted into the truck > THe squeegee action of the u edge scraped fine . Bare pavement no but it wasnt going to happen with a steel edge either . I did notice chattering on pavement at times ( Yes I did wear it in completely along the entire length - and thickness ) THe plow did trip more probably because of the weight of the snow . I wasnt worried about plowing on the new drives many of my customers had done during the summer . SO far I like it

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought a u-edge from Dino last year and I like it. I use a meyers
7.5 ft with pro wings. I plow 75 driveways mostly high end and can't afford to damage anything. I have to watch lawn sprinkler heads, Belgium block edging, sod lawns and pea stone driveways.
I can plow across a lawn without tearing it up. Great for those plowings with no frost in the ground. I wish it scraped a little cleaner but it's a great edge.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here are a few pictures from my journey with U Edges. This is a U edge on a 9'2" V for our salter truck. This is the predrilled set from MPT that came precut with the angles. Good idea, because it made my life easy for installation. I just had to enlarge the holes to take the 5/8" carriage bolt.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts