Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about the rest of you but It seems that there are a lot more plows on the road this year than last. I live about thirty miles north of Pittsburgh and last years winter was a good one for us. I think alot of guys jumped on the band wagon. Last year I could not find any help when we got alot of snow. Between Friday & Saturday this past storm I had four guys stop to give me their name and number if I ever needed help. That's more than the last six years combined.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I agree:rolleyes:

Also I noticed about 5 times as many snowblowers during this past storm than I have ever seen before. As I was traveling between accounts, I noticed a bunch of people, that were begging me to come plow their driveways(which I don't particularly care to do anyway) during that 30+" storm we had last year, out with their new snowblowers:p

·
Registered
473 Posts
There are a lot of plows around here, but most people dont do that much with them :confused:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Dockboy,
I also saw a ton of snowblowers out, at one of my "old" accts. (in a very upscale neighbor hood 2.5 - 7m homes) I have a couple of drives that i do dirt cheap, but they know that i will only do them after all of the commerical is out of the way, and they havent had any problems with it so far, anyway i did the first couple of drives then go to the last one and its done! with a brand new blower sitting in the middle of the large parking area, well... ok, I guess that was one way of saying that they wont be needing my services anymore! (last month everything was ok?)
The funny thing is that the guy who lives there is always traveling and if he thinks his porshe driving, model looking 28yo wife (he's 50ish) is going to go out there in the cold and use a "power tool" I dont think so. I know she will be calling me as soon as he's out of town and she cant get to the country club! Ha Ha

Its too bad, what EYE CANDY!!! :shades

Mike

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Yep ive been seeing more to between last winter being a good one and the famers alminac calling for a bigger winter this year everyone ran out and bought plows and blowers...

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Most of the calls I got with this past storm were from people who had bought snowblowers. Now they're calling me because the snowblower couldn't handle it. A few more like this past one and maybe I can make a deal on a nice snowblower.

·
Registered
596 Posts
We never did too much in the way of residential. After bad storms though, the phone would start ringing with "can you plow my driveway?" requests. I noticed after the couple bad winters we had a few years ago that we weren't getting nearly as many of those calls. I attributed it to everyone, or their next door neighbor, going out and buying a blower.

Mike, did you tell those guys with the new plows to join SPC here, and post on the "networking" forum? (Or because they're rookies, did you send them to some other plow site?)

·
Registered
59 Posts
The good news about all the plows you're seeing on the road: In 2-3 years, when the owner loses interest, there will be lots of lightly used plows for sale. And with lots of them on the market, there should be some good deals to be had.

jp

·
Registered
619 Posts
I was just thinking those thoughts a week ago!! I too, have noticed an increase in truck plows. Lots and lots of Meyers/Westerns... and those tall Blizzard lightbars too!

The good news about all the plows you're seeing on the road: In 2-3 years, when the owner loses interest, there will be lots of lightly used plows for sale. And with lots of them on the market, there should be some good deals to be had. --tvpierce
Do you think this might increase poor/bad service and lowball prices? Just a thought.

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is alot of guys with plows out there.But most of them have no comm insurence or contracts of anykind,they just go around doing a driveway here and there ,and bring prices Down!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Funny that this thread was posted we were just talking about how many new plows we have seen in my area. I have seen 6 new Snoways on some 1/2 ton p/u's all of them look like they are doing some sort of residential work, but most of the commercial accounts are being handled by they guys who did them last year.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I have said for years "Everyone has a snowplow" When they buy their new trucks they can get a plow wrapped in the monthly payment and it doesnt cost to much more per month . I agree if you look carefully you can find used trucks that were bought with a plow and the plows were hardly used

·
Registered
103 Posts
Damn, I thought there were alot of landscapers around but it sems like there are more plower guys then scapers this past storm. I did see alot of sloppy sites and unplowed lots this storm. I think alot of guys weren't ready for this, I guess if its anything like last year it should be another good season. Hey it was 1 year to the day from the start of last season and that was 8" and this storm was 15", I guess when we have our presidents day storm this season it will be about 32"?? (wishful thinking)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts