Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a general truck issue than GM specific, but being a GM man I'm posting it here.

Does anyone know what is available for software that will allow a laptop computer to be connected as a diagnostic scanner so it could be used to view/record engine/vehicle conditions on the go?

I'm sure there must be something out there but it's probably also beaucoup bucks. It still seems like it might be cheaper than a stand alone diagnostic unit.

Computerization is only going to get more intense so at some point it's going to be about impossible to diagnose a problem without throwing parts at it unless you have some way to do a brain scan.

I have a two year old Dell laptop that shouldoughta be able to keep up with the onboard data stream.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
try

obd2.com . I dont have it but saw it a while ago . They even have a version for a Palm handheld PDA. An interesting note ,the ONstar in my Cadillac CTS lets me call onstar whenever I want and they will run a diagnostic check through their over the air system . This would also be possible in onstar activated GM trucks

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
There are quite a few different companies out there selling the software and neccesary cables.Alex Pepper's software seems to be one of the most popular.There are some bugs,and refresh rate issues,but it usually works well enough to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Alan,
I purchased a kit for our Ford Aerostar and it's pretty cool.
Check it out here http://www.scantool.net/
If you want to see it stop by in Colchester, VT. I haven't really used it alot as the van is dependable, but it had a bad plug wire which tool helped me find.
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Diacom wll do what you want. It is ,however a little old. It uses DOS and your Parallel Printer port to connect your computer to the ALDL connector.

A newer system is DataMaster. It's reasonably priced and communicates through your serial port to the ALDL connector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts