Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems the geniuses at GM decided to put the switch for the aux light on a relay circuit. If you don't hook up a light to know that it's on and happen to turn on the switch by the interior map lights you will be surprised by a dead battery in as little as 6 hrs.

Just a FYI as GM has already issued an alert. We'll see if there's an easy fix beside putting in a light.

Jerre

·
Registered
336 Posts
Seems the geniuses at GM decided to put the switch for the aux light on a relay circuit. If you don't hook up a light to know that it's on and happen to turn on the switch by the interior map lights you will be surprised by a dead battery in as little as 6 hrs.

Just a FYI as GM has already issued an alert. We'll see if there's an easy fix beside putting in a light.

Jerre
Well Jerre
That explains all of the dead batterys at the plant. I have changed alot of them since last Jan. The plant still doesn't know why we were having daed battery's all of the time. I think I will show the dumba** your post.

Regards Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Seven times in the last year my new trucks main battery has been totally dead. Each time I have been able to jump it from my aux battery. Mr Goodwrench thinks the drain is from one of six modules that comes on while the truck is parked at night. While I doubt I've been bumping that switch...maybe!

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
Battery drain tsb

Aside from leaving the VYU plow prep beacon switch on draining
your battery your GMT-900 truck may be involved in this TSB
campaign and need a BCM reprogram.
(Mine was and didn't have a dead battery issue. The dealer did it
when I had my truck in for the tire pressure sensor issues)

07033B FEB 07 Campaign - BCM Reprogramming for Battery Drain - Essentially says that if you leave the ignition in on without the engine on and have the stereo on or another accesory The battery will drain to the point where the vehicle wont start. They will reprogram you BCM and test the battery, should take .4 to change bcm and .6 to "Add: Test & Replace Battery"

02-06-03-008B APR 07 Charging System - Low Voltage Display/Low/Dead Battery - Just says what will happen if you are using more power than your alternator is producing at idle... Basic knowledge kinda stuff.

One of these may apply to your truck so call the dealer
as it may be under a recall/warranty and it may be done
for free.

Subject: Battery Goes Dead At Times
Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this bulletin.
Condition/Concern:
Some customers may state that the battery goes dead at times. The concern is very random and doesn't seem to have a set pattern. When the vehicle returns to the shop, the technician may be unable to duplicate the concern.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Note: Only apply the information to 2007 model year vehicles.

A separate PI (Preliminary Investigation) has been created for the 08-09 model year

If you experience a vehicle that has an intermittent battery draw, please follow the instructions below and then review the template below that lists all related PI's and Bulletins. If it becomes necessary to contact Technical Assistance, please record the results for all the PI's and Bulletins that apply to your vehicle prior to calling.

When vehicle is towed into the shop, please record the static voltage of the battery by using a DVOM at the battery posts before charging the battery or performing any diagnostics.
Perform a parasitic load test as listed in SI (See Example Document Id: 1741191)
Perform and record the results for all PI's and bulletins that apply to your vehicle in the following template.
Bulletin or PI number
Description

08-06-03-008.
Information on Intermittent Battery Drain Diagnostic Tips and Recommendations
06-06-03-013C
BCM Update for RVC
PIT4613A
Check Mega Fuse
PIT4050E Ckts (6815 or 6817) Shorted or the ISLPS/IS Lamps fuse may blow
PIT3984A Rear Doors Will Not Unlock / Battery Draw
AIT3236 Battery Cables

07033B Battery Rundown
07007C Remote Keyless Entry Inoperative & Battery Rundown
PIT3385E Roof Beacon Switch Left On Causing Battery Draw
06-06-03-011B Hum or Buzz Noise From Rear of Vehicle and/or Possible Dead Battery (Check Fuel Pump Relay)
07-06-03-002B Information on Inspecting Top Post Battery Cable Bolts, Clamps, and Nuts During Pre Delivery Inspection
PIT4412A Vehicle Will Not Crank / Start At Times/ Aftermarket theft relay
09-08-44-001 US8/US9 Radio
PIT3971A Multiple Electrical Concerns due to wiring in B pillar
06-08-44-032B Rear DVD Screen Blank/Inoperative, Speaker Pop Noise, Battery DrawNav Screen Flashing,

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts