Snowplow Forums banner

De-icing my co-op

7K views 33 replies 6 participants last post by  SnoFarmer 
#1 ·
Hey, all. I'm from a cooperative community in Grand Rapids, MI and I've been asked to find the best way to control ice this winter. We have an asphalt-paved parking lot, and I think the driveway and sidewalk are concrete. Would salt/sand work? What ratio? What brand(s)? Where could we buy it, probably in bulk? Thanks so much.

#4 ·
I don’t live in Michigan so I really cannot tell you a place to buy. As for mix that will depend on how much you want to melt the ice vs how much added traction you want. How much ice are you getting? If you have a lot of ice and wide temperature ranges you will cause the ice to melt and referzee again. So, if you have a long cold spell sometimes straight sand is best because it lasts longer and provides traction without needing as many applications. So, your ratio will depend on what sort of results you want.

I would use about 150lbs to 250lbs of salt per cubic yard of sand. That should give you an adequate mix. More if you want more melting.

#5 ·
What is a "cooperative community"?

How many square feet?

Sand doesn't control ice.

Sand makes a mess.

There is no "brand" salt\sand mix.

Bulk? No one has bulk sand\salt for sale in GR. No one has bulk salt for sale that I know of.

What equipment do you have to spread with?

Why wouldn't you hire it out?

#19 ·
Perhaps regular table salt would do. There is no specific brand! You can use daily household item to remove snow. Make sure to follow the standard ratio. One cup of salt could melt 20 square feet of ice. So if you are deicing a car screen make sure to use a quarter cup to avoid any damages.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.