Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daniels pull plow kept leaking down last night. It puked out some fluid also. I'm not sure what to look for. If i let it sit with the solenoids un hooked it will still leak down. If i unhook the quick connector from the cylinder it stays up so i dont think it is the cylinder. Is there any type of check valve in the monarch pump? Any Ideas
THANKS TODD

·
Registered
908 Posts
There is a check valve in the monarchs, could also be a bad o-ring somewhere or debris in a valve. Its easiest to start with the valves, pull them out, clean them up and check to make sure they are shifting fully.

·
Registered
434 Posts
How old is the plow?
What type of pump is it (Manufacturer)?

This info will help in diagnosis. It sounds like a cartridge valve problem. But depending on the year of the pump, some of these valves have a tendancy to leak-down.

I would rather have it leak-down than not work. Three out of four of my Daniels pump valves have been serviced this year, after freezing up.

Garagekeeper will chime in soon enough, he know's these systems preaty well.

Chuck B.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I have a Fenner pump on my Snowman backplow . Anything that I can do to keep this from happening in the future over and above fluid change

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As i stated above its a Monarch pump about 4 years old but only used for 2 this being the 2nd. Its mounted in my tool box it has'nt frozeup yet even though is been down to -40 a few times. I going to take the valves out to day and take a look at them.
Is the check valve under the coil,selenoid or on the side of the manofoid?
THANKS TODD

·
Registered
832 Posts
Todd you really need to have a gauge installed in the line to do a pressure leak down test on the system.
You very well may have an o'ring on a cartridge valve that has failed or one that has not shifted back fully after operation.
You could disconnect the cylinder and charge the lift hose by cycling the the pump and check to see if it holds pressure.
I have had quite a few cylinders go bad over the pass few years, ruptured piston cups have been the biggest problem on the ones i've torn apart.
You can check for that by lifting the plow and support it with a floor jack and then carefully remove the top hose from the cylinder and let the jack down and watch to see if the fluid is pushed out.
Otherwise its trying it with a differant cylinder.
You can e-mail me if you need addition help.

:rolleyes: John................

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John,
Thanks for the reply. I think it is the cylinder when it leaks down it will push fluid out of the cap. Does that seem like the cylinder to you. Any idea of how much it cost to have it rebuilt a new one is 180.00
THANKS TODD

·
Registered
832 Posts
I don't worry to much about a small fluid leak at the top as that would only effect you holding the plow down.
If you have one of the cylinders that has a removable end cap you can tighten it down to take care of that leakage in most cases.
The seal kit is around $60 for that cylinder, but are a pain to redo as they weld the top adapter onto the shaft and they weld a clip into a groove towards the bottom of the piston rod which stops replacement of the top packing unless you remove the clip.
New cylinders are around $160 plus shipping.
You could tighten the packing nut on top of the cylinder and flip the cylinder over in the lift assembly and see if the plow stays up.
The cup on the piston in that dirrection may be okay and your plow would stay up.
This may help you to check the cylinder out a little more.

:rolleyes: John..................

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John,
What I ment to say was the fluid is comming out of the power unit when the cylinder leaks down.The dealer that I got it from said the packing kit was 98.00 I called a machine shop that is going to look at it tomorrow they thought it whould be about 80.00 to rebuild.
Thanks again for your help.
Todd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts