Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday a.m. went to get into my '04 GMC 2500HD 6.0l and the key fob wouldn't unlock the door...uh,oh. Used the key to unlock the door and engine wouldn't turn over. Dead quiet, nothing! Hooked up jumper cables to my '04 Dodge and when I grounded the negative on the GMC the horn started going off like when the panic alarm is tripped with the key fob. Nice spark action off the ground too. Took the cables off and tried the truck...nope. Put them back on (this time connected to the negative terminal of the dead battery on the GMC) and got my spark again along with the horn going off. Turned the key and it fired up no problem. Let it run for 1/2 hr then turned off for 10min. Re-started fine. Started fine last night at 10:00p.m. too. Got in the truck at 5:00a.m. this morning and it was dead again.

Battery has GM "run-down protection" and the interior and exterior lights are factory set to "delay-off". Salt spreader has it's own battery, plow has auto-off feature after 10min. I checked that I turned everything off anyway. Connections to the battery are all tight.

Any ideas? I'm waiting for my dad in the Dodge to come boost me right now so we can go out salting. What a PITA! :headwall

·
Registered
345 Posts
You could have fried your alternator. Same thing happened to me last winter. I thought my batteries (dual) had gone dead and it turned out to be my alternator, which wasn't even that old. The old one just didn't have enough poop to power everything I was running. I just replaced it with an alternator that was beefed up and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snow plow prep package came with "heavy duty" 145 amp alternator and 600 CCA battery. I ordered an auxiliary battery with the truck but was told "not enough room under the hood". Strange, since that was an available factory option. :confused:

My Dodge came with 160 amp alternator and 750 CCA battery. I'll find out tomorrow what the problem is when the GM goes in for its first scheduled service appointment.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took truck for service today. GM mechanic found a service bulletin regarding the roof light switch for trucks with the snow plow prep package. If the switch isn't wired up to a plow light (mine wasn't) then it can draw power from the battery if the owner inadvertently turns the switch on. When the truck's turned off the indicator light on the switch goes out, but the switch is still drawing power from the battery.

Bottom line - I have to manually make sure the switch is OFF before turning off the ignition. Shouldn't be a problem now, since I had them fish out the wire from the headliner and connect it to my strobe light. So if it's on now...I'll know it.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
CUT........Was gonna mention the aux. light switch to ya!
A fella over at the "other place" was having dead battery
issues on his 04 GM. Turned out to be the aux. light switch
being "hot" all the time and I suppose he never turned it off. Funny tho..He uses his for the plow lights !..................geo

Hey check out this GM thread about plow prep. It shows all
wiring, colors, connectors, etc

https://www.gmupfitter.com/secure/html/publicat/bull/bull27.pdf

·
Registered
243 Posts
I will follow this post closely
I have an 03 silverado with the plow package and also woke up to a dead battery this morning.The truch has sat since saturday afternoon with the plow on it( I thought we were getting snow sunday night) anyways I have no idea what happend eather No light were left on

temp went down to about 4 degrees or so I wonder if there is a drain from the plow module when the plow is left on it.

western ultra mount system

·
2,029 Posts
IH.......Pretty sure your Altra set up is NO way wired into
the aux. light switch.

Does your controller go dark (turn off) when you shut off
the ignition and open the door ? Mine does.

I always shut off my aux. light switch manually also......

........geo

·
Registered
243 Posts
sonjaab said:
IH.......Pretty sure your Altra set up is NO way wired into
the aux. light switch.

Does your controller go dark (turn off) when you shut off
the ignition and open the door ? Mine does.

I always shut off my aux. light switch manually also......

........geo
my plow package light on my dash fires my stobe light so if it left on I would know it.

what I have figured out is that when the hand held controller is plugged in and plow is connected to the truck the light in the controller stays on even when the key is off. When I get a chance I will rewire it to a switch igintion source.

Allthought its probably a small drain with this frigid weather we have been having It may of been enough to kill the battery.

Thanks again

·
2,029 Posts
IH...........Checked my Cab command controller yesterday.
It is wired into a ignition fed lug in the interior fuse center.

Yours is prob. just plugged into a hot lug. It is just a small
spade plug anyway. Easy to change !

Don't forget to carry a extra SFE-6 glass tube fuse also...
It is inside the Fisher and Western hand held controller !.........geo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts