Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!! Hope you all had a safe and wonderfull Christmas and also hope that Santa brought some *SNOW* with him as well! Did get some very cool CaRHART stuff (Santa did NOT bring me the KIMBER .45 Ultra Pro Carry i asked him for, nor the Benelli 12 guage, but thats ok!) I did get a BRAND new spreader 8' stainless WARREN with Tecumseh 10hp! Reason I got that Warren is not that i was unhappy with HIghway but that it was the last spreader brand available till till the end of January. Figured i couldn't wait that long! :rolleyes: Also have coming on the 5 of Jan a BOSS straight trip-edge blade for a skidsteer. Business has increased substantially and the season is looking like a good one. ZERO credit card debt! Should go into next season WAY ahead. Anyway, my F-550 was used by a friend of mine that owns a lawn company. Even though i told him and told him NOT to plow over 15 mph (risk of airbag explosion and damage) he (even though never in a plow truck b4) thought he knew better and did not listen. I got in the truck after he was using it and the steering wheel FORD decal, instead of being horizontal it was VERTICAL! After the storm and a trip to the local Ford dealer it turns out that my buddy ran into SOMETHING at considerable speed at busted the sway bar, the U-joints and a few other sundry things bringing the damage total to $1,397.39!!!Guys, ppl that do not enjoy plowing (even when they try to help you out) DO not listen, and do NOT take care of the freakin' vehicles worth a CRAP!:headwall My friend did not do this intentionally but he wouldn't listen to warnings on how to plow, did not like snow, and was EXTREMELY ineffecient! I have 2 new drivers that are very COMPITENT and intelligent when it comes to machines and plowing. We'll give it another shot...... Needless to say my other friend will NOT be driving my vehicle again. And don't tell me that a direct collision with an object won't blow the damn airbags! The sensors aren't inoperable when a plow is on a truck! This is BIG TIME misinformation that he has gotten from so called "snow-removal" sites. This mis-information caused damage. Oh well.... that's how it goes sometime!Later!:D

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Sounds like your driver learned the hard way, now you will feel the pain$$$

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YUP! He got to learn through my trucks expense. He has 2 F-350 duallys, but he refuses to put plows on them.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Id make him pay for the damages!! If he is that kind of guy who is a jerkoff because he is a knowitall and doesnt like snow, he had no business snowplowing with one of your trucks. Guys who dont like snow, or dont like snowplowing, and do it just for the money it pays, are not being easy on the equipment. Guys who enjoy doing it seem to take more pride in it and dont beat the crap out of the truck. Id make him pay for the damages, atleast half of it anyway. Mike

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
So he tore up the axel real bad, but o visiale damage to the plow? Doesnt make sense. As for airbags deploying while plowing, I have never ead of one sustantiated case of this occuring. The sensors are mounted in a such away that they need to detect movement in structual compenents.
Dino

·
Registered
610 Posts
is he going to make good on the repairs
or are you going to take him to court

mike
pay for half of it?
if he only pays for half
then you need to beat the other half out of him

john:headwall :headwall

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
LOL John! Well the reason I say atleast half is because the guy isnt gonna want to pay for ALL the damage because he will say it was probably halfway worn out already! If you can get him to pay for it all, then great, but if you can get atleast half the money from him, you will be doing ok. Good luck! Mike :)

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
This all goes back to driver training. Last year I had a new young driver ride with from Dec - Jan. I turned him loose in Feb and he has been a steller operator ever since. Training pays off big time, besides you cant really make him pay for the damage. It was the owners choice to put a green driver in an expensive truck.
Dino

·
Registered
146 Posts
Bossfan My grandfather had it right when he was asked to use his tools! (The man who loans tools left and will not be back!)
I take it to heart if you ask me to use my tools! Sorry saves alot of grief on both parts! It took me a few years to see were he was coming from! He stated he needed his tools to make a living not friends!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I hate to be a jerk But I dont lend out my tools.
and I know how uncomfortabe it is to say NO.But I just tell them I canot afford to replace this if it brakes can you? after that I feel bad for a while but probably not as bad as your feeling having to pay for those repairs

Sorry for your trouble

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the sympathy, guys! It's much appreciated!:cool: I can understand my mistake in letting a "GREEN" plower in my truck. Some background.... he is a good friend of mine (he just does lawn mowing, leaf-cleanup and such) He was plowing with me to help me out. I needed him cause i didn't have the other guys yet. The thing that pissed me off was his disregard to ANY plowing information or tips i gave him PRIOR to plowing. Weeks before he plowed for real, we went through many "dry" runs and i even printed a "snow removal procedures sheet" for him. He has talked about starting doing snow removal for his company but has no common sense when it comes to plowing nor equipment. For instance, we came to a lot that had the drive lanes plowed. I had the CAT and started plowing the handicap places and up near the building. He started plowing one section, but got bored and went and started plowing in a DIFFERENT spot. I got so pissed, i told him to get out of the truck, and finished the lot with it myself. This was the last time he plowed with us. The lot looked like it was striped when he was doing it. Lack of help pushed me to use him. I now have compitent, safe plow-truck wise, help. :D There won't be a NEXT time!:soapbox I don't know wheather asking him for damages would be the way to go or not. Oh well.... learning experiences. :wah No, the plow did not have ANY damage to it. Thats why I use a BOSS!! THey don't tear up so quick like other. JK. Jon

·
Registered
243 Posts
all kidding a side My wife was an excellent back up driver years ago .

Prior to us having kids

I would hire myself out and my truck to a freind who owns a large plowing company for 2 big lots he had contracts on.He had a big cat loader I think it was a 980 and I would do the lots and he would have a fellow pile around the poles with the cat. A couple of storms the fellow would be out who operated the cat so I would operate the cat and my wife would operate my truck.

She would go slow and steady sometimes half a blade at a time so she would not leave rows.It's funney when we are at a party and the guy I used to plow for would tell my kids that there mom used to snow plow. Or if we are in one of the parking lot's she used to plow and she explains to the kids how she used to hate to get out to move a shopping cart.Or better then that when she comments on the poor job the guy is doing now on the lot.

I dont know if your married or not but women are excellent back up drivers. They dont go fast.

Last storm she took my truck to open up the school parking lot for a brownie meeting

Her only comment was its alot easeyer to plow with an automatic

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ih82plow, LOL! That is so cool!!! :drinkup It must be so nice to have a wife that cares so much as to help you do stuff like that. No, i'm not married yet. Don't even have a g/f at the moment. Thought i had landed the "perfect" one this past summer, but that unfortunately did not pan out. She used to use all the mowers like a pro, drive my trucks AND THE LOADER! I rarely let ppl use my loader. A good woman can really make work fun and more exciting. Great company in the truck too....:D I think Mike, (LAWNGODFATHER) has cornered the market with Cindy (his lady) cause she likes to and does indeed plow snow. Jon

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
I had a friend plow ith us a few years back, but he had his own truck. But I know all about people plowing lots when they have no clue. We used to do this one lot that 2 truck could operate in no problem. It was cut up into 3 distinct areas. I could 2 two areas and he would do the other one, yet everytime we plowed the lot, he owuld try and plow right next to me. I was constantly having to look around and make sure he wasnt cutting in back of me, or in my blind spot.
Dino

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey Jon I thought Boss plows don't damage easy 'cause they are so heavy that the truck can't do over 3 or 4 MPH!!!!:haha :rockon

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are you sure he hit something with the plow or did he slide sideways and hit a curb or ?? with the tire? I could see steering damage etc. by hitting the tire rather than hitting the plow if no plow damage is possible.

I had one of my semi truck drivers hit a parked car earlier this year. My company was liable for the $2500 deductible. I had the driver agree to pay $100 per week until paid off. This is common practice. Not sure if it applies for you but it's a thought. At least keep the pay he had earned to lessen the blow.

It just occurred to me that insurance may pay for the damage.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Jon, maybe it was a good thing you didn't get that Kimber or Benilli for X-mas. Santa was good to me a few years back and blessed me with an Ultra CDP in stainless. Best auto I've ever had hands down. One of his elf's was nice and was after X-mas shopping this year and tracked down a Dan Wesson 44mag in Stainless with an 8" and 10" barrell. Was a had to have.

I learned a long time ago to pay the extra insurance to allow for loaner operation damage to vehicles. It was well worth the extra few hundred a year to repair damage done when the vehicle wasn't being driven by me and there was a dispute. The big lesson is if you aren't willing to pay for the repairs if you do the damage don't expect to ever use it or anything else again. You will pay to play... Period.

I like Bounds grandfathers saying and hope he won't be offended if I use it on my wall with some other tool lending sayings.

Jerre

p.s. Have your dealer download the speed info on the air bag deployment from the computer. you might get a good laugh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts