Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Meyer HMP 10' Poly plow, man does this thing wear edges fast. It is mounted to a '91 4700 International. I'm looking for a heavier duty cutting edge. Do the municipal plows use different types of cutting edges?

Bob :D :D

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
How thick is the edge on that plow. Maybe a 1/2". Switch to either a 3/4" thick edge, double the 1/2" edges.
Also look into www.blackcatblades.com
If you are looking for a substitute to steel I sell MPT urethane edges, and a few other here sell different brands of urethane.
With a 2" thick type 2 edge from us, I beieve we can much onger wear life than the stock stel edges.
Dino

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
5/8" or 3/4" muni grade carbide edges will last.You must be using mild steel.A good carbide edge will last many,many times longer.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Back when we ran stel edges, I had a friend who plowed for the local town,and they chnged edges every storm. He wuld give me his takes offs, usually they would be at least 5-7" wide. They were free, and lasted me at least 3-5 events. I was running a trip edge fisher at the time, and I was oly able to wear the edge to about 4.5 " till it needed changing.
Dino

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Does anyone know any of the different specs used for the steel edges ?

I've seen some that only last a short time,yet the others that last many years.

My 5/8" edges on some of my blades are 4-5 years old,and still look like new.They have worn to the typical smilie,but would still be good for many years.

I don't know the exact specs,but we get them from the local Champion road grader place.They aren't much more expensive than most other edges.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Install carbides against the moldboard itself, infront of the carbide install a 5/8" think high carbon steel edge. Should last alot longer that what you are getting now.

Geoff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts