Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not in my plowing work but my electrical work. I have a customer that refuses to pay and it has been a long time and now I am going to be in trouble with my supplier. I can not afford to pay the bill. I am at the point of not being able to hire a lawyer to help retrieve the money as it will cost me money to get money and no guarrantee I will get it. What to do besides beating.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Not sure of your laws there, but here you can get up to $1500 covered in small claims court. It doesn't require a lawyer and I've found just having the court process the paperwork and sending notice of the suit often results in payment without the need for an appearence.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Joey D

Small Claims Court if it's a small amount is the easiest.

I have a customer that refuses to pay and it has been a long time
First off I hope you have sent him a bill every month, if you go to court it helps as it shows you have been trying to collect.

If it's a new house & it hasn't sold yet put a mechanics lean on it ;)

If it's a private party go knock on his door at work, home, ect. & ask for payment every day till he pays. Yes it's time consuming but if you want to collect then you'll do it. I've even went to their neighbors & asked if they know if the neighbor is having money problems :eek: I've even sent a bill to the deadbeats parents as I didn't know if maybe he had left town ;) As long as you don't slander him or call at night it's fair game to bug him.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have billed and billed and nothing. I did talk to a lawyer and was warned about harrising them so I tried not to. My big question was the money I now owe. I just can't pay it and they are going to end up taking me to court. I know I should have just keep sending payments and I am going to try to do it at this point and when I can afford it hire a lawyer. What would happen I am taken to court? I don't want to be a deadbeat like the one I am chasing but it is ending up that way. The amount is well over the 1500 for small claims.

·
Registered
68 Posts
First thing to do woul be to go to your suppliers and let them know of your situation. They may be willing to work with you. It won't do them any good if you go belly up. Second thing to do would be to try to file a mechanics lien against the property. There are time limitations in many states so you need to act promptly. I believe in most states a lien must be filed within 45 - 60 days from the completion of work. Third thing is to have your lawyer draft a letter - intent to file lien/collect for services. Sometimes a letter from a lawyer is all it takes. Unfortunately it does cost money to collect money when things go bad. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I don't know if this will help you. Whenever I have any construction-type work done using new contractor who doesn't know me, he always gets an advance to cover cost of materials. He may not in fact use the money to pay the supplier, but at least he's got the money for it.

I would agree with talking to the supplier. Let him know what happened and that you do intend to pay. Get the mechanic's lien if possible, that never goes away until it's paid. They can't sell the property with a lien on it. Third, see if you can get a lawyer to just send a letter. Usually they won't charge much for that and the results are often amazing.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advise and will see what the lawyer says on monday.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
You will be getting these type of people from time to time that don't like to pay and get services for free.Eas this a job that needed a permit? If it was a small amount I would just take hime to small claims court but ,You should of sent him a bill by certified return receipt so you can show the court that you did send it to him and he did get the bill.That will be the first thing that will be said "I never Got it".

·
Registered
243 Posts
Joey d

First and foremost contact your supplier and explain your tight on money and want to square up but cant right now,explain you will pay him in full. Give him a good faith payment now to show your going to do the right thing

The last thing you need is a agressive collection agency going after you.The supplier doesnt win nor do you the only one who wins is the collection agency.

Now as for your customer.
The work you have done does it need to have an electrical underwrighter certificate?

If yes have you issuued it yet?

Has he paid you anything?

Do you have a signed contract how much money is it.

When was the last time you worked at the house?

Is he unhappy with any of your work?

·
Registered
620 Posts
In NY, you have 180 days from completion of the work to file a lein. It's a simple form to fill out. I've done it many times. There is a procedure to follow later to forclose on the lein.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts