Snowplow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
1,771 Posts
965 lb mounted that's nuts .. real world and salesman world seems to be different places ..

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Ballast is a big help in making sure the weight is distributed correctly over length of the truck. It won’t stop excessive sagging but, it usually keeps the truck’s CG correctly positioned thus reducing issues with excessive front end sagging. Also they do make leveling kits and they help out as well.

I think 965lbs is okay if you have front end that is strong enough to support the weight. You put a leveling kit on it and the sagging is cured add ballast to maintain the CG and traction.

·
Banned
1,771 Posts
Is that plow really only a 7.5’ at 785lbs that is a heavy duty plow... I like all my plows heavy but mine are much heavier and larger.

·
762 Posts
Ballast is a big help in making sure the weight is distributed correctly over length of the truck. It won’t stop excessive sagging but, it usually keeps the truck’s CG correctly positioned thus reducing issues with excessive front end sagging. Also they do make leveling kits and they help out as well.

I think 965lbs is okay if you have front end that is strong enough to support the weight. You put a leveling kit on it and the sagging is cured add ballast to maintain the CG and traction.
I'd use counterweight.

ballast would be placed below the center of gravity in the middle of the vehicle.

a counter weight would be placed as far to the rear as possible. at, above or below the center of gravity

counter weight balances out the vehicle, the pluses, more control of the vehicle.
improved braking, cornering and you will have 100%traction.

·
Banned
1,771 Posts
I'd use counterweight.

ballast would be placed below the center of gravity in the middle of the vehicle.

a counter weight would be placed as far to the rear as possible. at, above or below the center of gravity

counter weight balances out the vehicle, the pluses, more control of the vehicle.
improved braking, cornering and you will have 100%traction.
Mr.Wizard it really doesn’t matter what you call it. Counterweight or Ballast do the same thing balance the forces operating on an object.

·
762 Posts
Mr.Wizard it really doesn’t matter what you call it. Counterweight or Ballast do the same thing balance the forces operating on an object.
Nope, it is not the same thing.

a counter weight is a weight that is as heavy as something else, so that the two objects can balance.A counterweight is a weight that, by exerting an opposite force, provides balance and stability,

plow hanging off of the front needs a force exerting in an opposite direction.
thus why a counter weight would be placed as far back ageist the tale-gate.
IE: a weight that balances another weight.

ballast,
any heavy material carried temporarily or permanently in a vessel to provide desired draft and stability or on a balloon to control its height in the air.
ballast is achieved by placing the weight as low as possible.
This keeps the vessel in trim, and keeps the propeller and rudder submerged.

·
Banned
1,771 Posts

a counter weight is a weight that is as heavy as something else, so that the two objects can balance.A counterweight is a weight that, by exerting an opposite force, provides balance and stability,

plow hanging off of the front needs a force exerting in an opposite direction.
thus why a counter weight would be placed as far back ageist the tale-gate.
IE: a weight that balances another weight.

ballast,
any heavy material carried temporarily or permanently in a vessel to provide desired draft and stability or on a balloon to control its height in the air.
I have a 15 year nephew just like you... argues the most inane unimportant points and then claims victory. Sorry, dude they call it ballast in racing of cars and planes and it does all the same things you are talking about. If you prefer counterweight fine ballast is just as equally valid.

·
Registered
350 Posts

ballast,
ballast is achieved by placing the weight as low as possible.

So, all those people that tried to balance out a heavy plow by loading up the back, they could have just done this?

Attachments

·
762 Posts
I have a 15 year nephew just like you... argues the most inane unimportant points and then claims victory. Sorry, dude they call it ballast in racing of cars and planes and it does all the same things you are talking about. If you prefer counterweight fine ballast is just as equally valid.
and you can go left to go right. so what.
again counterweight is not ballast.

you dont place ballast on a scale.
the plow truck is like a scale with a heavy weight placed on one side/end.
a counterweight will need to be added to the other side to COUNTER act it and balance the truck/scale. to center or balance out the scale.

ballast would be added to the base/bottom of the scale to stabilize it.

where in the racing car do you think ballast is placed?
hint. its placed in the center of the car below the center of gravity.
its not used to counter-act a weight placed someplace else.

im not arguing at al,l you are.
your arguing with the facts i have stated.

·
Banned
1,771 Posts
and you can go left to go right. so what.
again counterweight is not ballast.

you dont place ballast on a scale.
the plow truck is like a scale with a heavy weight placed on one side/end.
a counterweight will need to be added to the other side to COUNTER act it and balance the truck/scale. to center or balance out the scale.

ballast would be added to the base/bottom of the scale to stabilize it.

where in the racing car do you think ballast is placed?
hint. its placed in the center of the car below the center of gravity.
its not used to counter-act a weight placed someplace else.

im not arguing at al,l you are.
your arguing with the facts i have stated.
You don’t even realize that all your example has done is shift the object to be balanced 90 degrees around the fulcrum. Hence the reason the ship has the ballast at the keel balancing out the mass at the top of mast e.g. sailboat. However, any ship with sufficient mass above it’s keel will require ballast to keep it from capsizing. Just like a submarine uses ballast to counter act buoyancy...

Actually, you place ballast in a race car to achieve proper weight distribution it can be front back left or right.

·
762 Posts
You don’t even realize that all your example has done is shift the object to be balanced 90 degrees around the fulcrum. Hence the reason the ship has the ballast at the keel balancing out the mass at the top of mast e.g. sailboat. However, any ship with sufficient mass above it’s keel will require ballast to keep it from capsizing. Just like a submarine uses ballast to counter act buoyancy...

Actually, you place ballast in a race car to achieve proper weight distribution it can be front back left or right.
you are wrong.

·
762 Posts
counter weight when applied to a plowtruck
is just like a balance beam scale.
weight on one end is used to counter act a weight on the other end until it balances out. A counterbalance is a weight or force that balances or offsets another as when two objects of equal weight, power, or influence are acting in opposition to each other. The objects are then said to be in counterbalance.

ballast is used on ships for the reasons i have already posted.
sail boats have a mast, cargo ships do not .

as for ballast used in racing, notice its not called a counterweight......
ballast may only be located in certain positions on the car. ...
"

can you point out the ballast in this diagram?

Attachments

·
762 Posts
race car.Ballast weight is also added to a race car to alter its performance. In most racing series, cars have a minimum allowable weight. Often, the actual weight of the car is lower, so ballast is used to bring it up to the minimum.

notice they dont use a counter weight.

ballast

(nautical) Heavy material that is placed in the hold of a ship (or in the gondola of a balloon), to provide stability.
(figuratively) Anything that steadies emotion or the mind.
Coarse gravel or similar material laid to form a bed for roads or railroads, or in making concrete.
(construction) A material, such as aggregate or precast concrete pavers, which employs its mass and the force of gravity to hold single-ply roof membranes in place.
(countable, electricity, electronics) device used for stabilizing current in an electric circuit (e.g. in a tube lamp supply circuit)
(figuratively) That which gives, or helps to maintain, uprightness, steadiness, and security

again
A counterbalance is a weight or force that balances or offsets another

·
762 Posts
Ballast is used in ships to provide moment to resist the lateral forces on the hull. Insufficiently ballasted boats tend to tip or heel excessively in high winds. Too much heel may result in the boat/ship capsizing. If a sailing vessel should need to voyage without cargo then ballast of little or no value would be loaded to keep the vessel upright. Some or all of this ballast would then be discarded when cargo was loaded.

not to be confused with a counterweight.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
You’re probably a picture kind of kid ,so I’m gonna post a couple pictures that explain counterweight how the fulcrum works When applied to a vehicle and would you please point out ballast in any of them
I don't think OSHA would approve of balancing that forklift on that triangle like that

21 - 40 of 66 Posts