Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lost all power to my Curtis plow. Last winter, I lost it on the final pass and detached and left it. I found the solenoid melted, so I replaced it yesterday, but still no luck. I have juice to one small pin in the female (truck) end, nowhere else. That, I assume, feeds the kickstand? Then again, the kickstand runs off the pump/motor, so that's out.

The touchpad has power inside, but won't do anything. Anybody have any ideas? Time to pull the cover off and look at the motor? Hope not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You may have the same problem I had. There is a small 10 amp automotive fuse that runs the touchpad (probably under dash). If the fuse is bad touchpad does not work and the plow won't either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may have the same problem I had. There is a small 10 amp automotive fuse that runs the touchpad (probably under dash). If the fuse is bad touchpad does not work and the plow won't either.

Stan mi...I got a chance to do some troubleshooting in a nice, warm garage at a buddy's today, and what I came up with so far is:

Motor/pump is OK. I put power to the motor, it ran fine, Good news.

The single molded plug design on these Curtis' from what I'm seeing and finding, are not the greatest. I suspect there's also a problem with mine, because I didn't get the plow to do anything normally by the touchpad. I wiggled the plug a bunch, and got solenoids on the valves to click, but nothing else.

Another issue I personally have is, I changed the power solenoid under the hood Friday. I removed a 3 post that was melted, and replaced with a 4 post. (Guy at NAPA swore it was the same...) Since then, I haven't been able to get power across the solenoid without shorting across with a screwdriver. That makes the motor/pump run, but I only get one function out of the plow then; right angle. That's raising the suspicion that there's a bad connection in the harness between the truck plug and the plow harness plug, as I'm not getting a completed circuit back.

Tomorrow there's more patience and time in the forecast.:wink

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hope it works out for you. This kind of thing gets really frustrating. I took mine to the dealer. Spent a lot of money to find out an $.80 fuse went bad.

Good Luck !!

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Lets see........................since it happened the last pass of last season and you are just now looking into it there should be no hurry to get it fixed now .............................I'll check back in april when you don't need it any more.

3 post solenoid is case grounded when attached to metal. 4 post solenoid needs a seperate ground wire from on of the small post to the battery or a GOOD ground.

Melted solenoid is usually an indication of a bad connection at the plug, battery or pump motor, bad battery or alternator in that order.

Jerre

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lets see........................since it happened the last pass of last season and you are just now looking into it there should be no hurry to get it fixed now .............................I'll check back in april when you don't need it any more.

3 post solenoid is case grounded when attached to metal. 4 post solenoid needs a seperate ground wire from on of the small post to the battery or a GOOD ground.

Melted solenoid is usually an indication of a bad connection at the plug, battery or pump motor, bad battery or alternator in that order.

Jerre

Since you took the time to reply, I'll do a rebuttal.

I use the plow to do one customer...ME. My work doesn't allow me a heck of a lot of free time, therefore a snowplow wasn't high on the list of priorities. I'd get to it when I got to it, and here it was, unplanned, unprepared, but nontheless, happening.

As for your theory on a 4 post solenoid needing a ground off one of the small posts, that's wrong, because once I mounted the #4 (hot) wires to the top main posts, it energized both small terminals, making them hot also. I speak out of experience, because I snapped the touchpad fuse trying your theory out before I even thought of posting this on this site. It's hard to ground a hot (feed) without consequences and repercussions.

I simply bought the RIGHT, 3 post solenoid the other day, and solved the mystery once and for all.

Thanks for the help.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
Mountainman
You are being borderline rude to someone who was trying to help you. He (Jerre) can be a great asset to anyone whether you plow 100 commercials or like yourself just your own driveway. You should remember that you came here looking for answers, no one came looking for you. Jerre was just being sarcastic because it is late in the season to be repairing plows that broke down last year.

You can be assured that unless you change your attitude around here that help is not likely to find its way to you.

For the most part, the guys here will let there stuff wait while they try and help someone else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mountainman
You are being borderline rude to someone who was trying to help you. He (Jerre) can be a great asset to anyone whether you plow 100 commercials or like yourself just your own driveway. You should remember that you came here looking for answers, no one came looking for you. Jerre was just being sarcastic because it is late in the season to be repairing plows that broke down last year.

You can be assured that unless you change your attitude around here that help is not likely to find its way to you.

For the most part, the guys here will let there stuff wait while they try and help someone else.

I assumed he was being "bordeline rude" with a statement like that about "waiting till April to help".

Last but not least...It's amusing how it took almost a week to actually get an answer, borderline sarcastic as it may be, but it took a couple of hours to have someone defend the one generating the sarcasm.

I'll remember to keep my snowplowing issues to myself from here on in.

What makes it right for HIM to be sarcastic, but me not be able to defend my character?

As for coming here looking for help, rest assured, it was my mistake, won't happen again .

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
We are kinda like family here on LTS, and jerre is one of the most respected members of the community. He has to and does deal with alot of yahoos both here and in his shop. He gets a bit tired of it from time to time. The bottom line is that even tho he was sarcastic, he did answer your question, and solve your issue. I know you do not percieve it that way, but that is what happened.
Much like a family, we are quick to defend our brothers, and very wary of new people that crash the boards with offensive posts. Not offensive in the sense that we are shocked by what you wrote, but in the sense you went on the offensive.
We are kind and gentle people, and I am surely glad your plow is working. Just try a bit of honey next time, and dont take Jerry's demaner to much to heart.
Although I will say this, if you knew you had a problem in April, why did you wait till snow flies to look for the issue?
Welcome to the site, and I hope you stick around a while.
Dino

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are kinda like family here on LTS, and jerre is one of the most respected members of the community. He has to and does deal with alot of yahoos both here and in his shop. He gets a bit tired of it from time to time. The bottom line is that even tho he was sarcastic, he did answer your question, and solve your issue. I know you do not percieve it that way, but that is what happened.
Much like a family, we are quick to defend our brothers, and very wary of new people that crash the boards with offensive posts. Not offensive in the sense that we are shocked by what you wrote, but in the sense you went on the offensive.
We are kind and gentle people, and I am surely glad your plow is working. Just try a bit of honey next time, and dont take Jerry's demaner to much to heart.
Although I will say this, if you knew you had a problem in April, why did you wait till snow flies to look for the issue?
Welcome to the site, and I hope you stick around a while.
Dino

Dino, thanks for taking the milder approach to this issue.

All I did, from the beginning, was simply use the forum as I thought it would be an advantage. Turned out, I got a bad rap from the beginning.

As for my waiting till snow flew to fix my plow, here's the deal... I work out of town, 10-12 days at a time. I don't have a set schedule, nor a way to plan out certain things that come about. I'm a busy man, a 1 man Army so to speak. Not good overall planning with my situation, but it's the way it goes when you're in my shoes. Before I knew it, summer and fall were over, and snow was falling.

I just wanted to throw the problem out there as I have done on other websites with other situations, and get a respectable response, period. Not a cocky or sarcastic one. I tend to defend myself, as any MAN should, when I get offended, and that's what I did. I didn't start it, only defended myself.

Not to take anything away from jerre at all, but my question wasn't answered after all that commotion. I explained that his theory as he stated wasn't correct about grounding a 4 post solenoid, and it's a tried and proven fact, that's all. I assume he's good at what he does, and if he's receptive to admitting fault like I would be, it's merely a simple mistake.

I totally solved the problem by thinking it through, before I got any replies on this forum anyway. I'll be more careful not to share certain things on these forums like this from now on, you can be sure of that.

No offense, this is a good place to access information, just would like it delivered a little differently than I got it, that's all. Stop and look it over from the beginning, how this all went, before passing judgement, and see if I'm being a "crasher" or not dino. You have to look at the thing from a practical viewpoint before passing judgement.

Thanks.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
Mountainman
I understand where you are coming from. You must also understand us as well. Thats all anyone here asks. Welcome to LTS and our community.

As far as your Solenoid issue goes. If it is truly a solenoid and not a different type of relay you are speaking of then something is wrong if you put the battery cable lead on and the small posts got hot. Basically they are 2 seperate circuits. The control circuit is 2 small leads, a feed and a ground that when power is applied flows through the coild and pulls a plunger down that activates the second circuit which is the load by pulling a plate accrossed the contacts. That is a true solenoid.

Jerre was not incorrect when he said that a 3 terminal and 4 terminal solenoid are the same except that a 3 terminal is frame grounded through the case when mounted on steel and the 4 terminal requires one of the small terminals to be grounded. I am 100% positive of that. You mentioned plug issues and that is most likely the cause of the soleniod failure in the first place.

Again, we are glad you got it up ad runnng and welcome to LTS.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
I personally have been confused more than once on the 3 post vs. 4 post solenoid situation.
Perception is reality, sorry that you percieved our community as less than receptive.
I can see from the way that posts went how that conclusion could have been reached.
I am a bit spoiled, the only Jerre I know calls me in the middle of the day on Sunday to say hello and wish me a merry christmass. He also calls every time we have an event to check in and see how everything is working.
Give us another chance, we may surprise you.
Dino

1 - 12 of 12 Posts