Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering trading in the 2003 2500HD Hemi for a Cummins. Here's my ????
What is the advantage of the HO over the standard Cummins.
Im not towing houses. Just a 24 foot boat and occaisional skidsteers on trailers. Fuel consumtion is more important to me then a couple extra ponies. It will be plowed with and used for work daily.(Carpentry contractor) I drove the HO before I purchased the Hemi. Was impressed with how quite it was, is the standard cummins as quite? I wish I would have popped for the Cummins in the first place.
Todd

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Todd

Are you still having the stalling problem ? I have 800 miles on my 04 and no hint of stalling . THe gas mileage is about the same as my 97 360 .....maybe a little lower . I to thought about the Cummins but the HO wasnt available in Ma. and I dont tow to to often . I hear that the HO is now nationwide .

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
You will love the new Cummins HO.325 HP and 600 ft\lbs of torque.

The fuel economy is much better on the diesel,especially when towing and plowing.And it usually never stalls. :D

The HO isn't any noisier than the regular Cummins.It shares all the same noise reduction features.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
T-zab either the std output or Ho will pull what you have like its nothing.Id go for the HO personally,but if you find what you want and its a std output you can always add a plug n play box for a few hundred bucks,(around400),and it will out perform a stock HO. I think you'd be happy with either Cummins personally,dont forget the Cummins is slower to build speed than the Hemi(std output),but once it gets rolling watch out,there isnt much that will slow it down.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill the dealer got the stalling problem with a a reflash of the computer. It is now idleing at about 650 rpm in drive. Occasionally it jumps around usually when hot on a restart it may bounce at 900. Anyway the mileage is a couple under the 2001 360 4.11 gear too but the 01 had a 4 speed at. The 03 has a 5 speed. They claimed 10% better with the hemi but my highway mileage was 11mpg at 70 worse then the 01. The 01 got about 14 pulling my 24 foot boat. But no biggey okaywith the worse mileage but I do hear some rattle from the top end cold and with a hot idle. I change the oil at 3000 or less, and use only napa gold filters. 10w30 castrol goes in. The specs call for 6000 on a change of light duty and I would say 2 pushes on 2 oil changes is babying the 3000 mile I stick too. I just might be ready to jump ship to smoker. Oh by the way this truck is up too 17000 miles most light miles. Im thinkin cut my losses before the truck is worth 5000 less.
Todd

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Here's the '04 HO Cummins, which is the only option unless you live in WV, CA and one other state I don't remeber (I think NH).

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
LGF, Masschusetts was the state . THe latest version of the HO is certified for all states , My dealer told me .

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
T ZAB

At what point will your truck be worth 5K less?

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
CraftyBigDog said:
Never use Castrol its junk!!!!!!!!!!!
So tell us why.............

BWhite may be at the time, but you cannot get it in CA for sure.

CA has such wonderful laws......

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
LGF ,
I was told as the first of the year all Cummins rolling off the line would be 50 state certified

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
From the newest brochure I got, it state you can't get the HO Cummins in those states. Not none at all.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Hmmm , I guess salesman Richard Peck at Allen Mello Dodge , Nashua , New Hampshire gave me bad info . He told me " we stopped ordering Cummins till after the first of the year , then then HO output will be 50 state certified ". Sounds like maybe a mid year change to me ? mid year changes do happen ?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
sounds like the easy way to circumvent that it to just hop over to the next state and get what ya want i cant say i'd settle for less than what i want just because it wasent offered somewhere... it may take some time to go get it but imo if thats what ya want hten ya might as well make a drive to get it...

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Atually Bill I think by the second year it should be worth about 9000 less. Depreciation on the gasser's is pretty brutal. I think year 1 is a 6600 off.
Todd

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Thats the problem with any new vehicle , tHe first two years are always tough .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts