Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching some answers here. OR, trying to. Apparently, Ford from 1999 and up added "crash bars" to their trucks to prevent a truck from climbing another vehicle in a rear end collision type situation.

I just got a 2002 Ford F350 that has not seen a plow yet. It's the "era" of the flat spring in front not the coil type that started mid year 2004 and up. Any hoots there's a bar that goes along the bottom that's fastened to the brackets that are mounted on the frame. Well apparently that bar did it's job. Looks like someone hit like a cemented in sign post?? The bar is long gone and the pass side bar mount is ripped off! Yes! How the hell do you rip off 1/4 inch steel!!?? Anyhoots...

My plan is to put on Fisher MM mounts on the front. the pdf I found says just remove the crash bar and put it away to give to the buyer if you sell the truck...It does not say to remove the side crash brackets ...and it continutes to tell you how to mount the Fisher MM mounts...(bumper comes off to do the project)...

Here's what QUESTION I have... I've looked at several trucks in the parking lots with my year in mind 1999-2004...no matter if it's BOSS or Fisher MM mounts...the trucks also have had the side crash bar side mounts removed...and the plow mounts where put on the frame and a bar from those mounts went across.... That said..here's what confuses me ...someone or the factory.....WELDED a weld in the slots of the crashbar side mounts!! so...even if I remove the two top frame bolts..and the Nut on the spring...I'm going to have to somehow grind the weld inside the slots....DAMN! wow...so I ask...is this a factory thing...or did someone weld those crash bar side mounts...

remember..it's not like I'm going to put or provide a crash bar ever again...and remember I'm already missing the bar that goes across and one side mount is already busted! the driver side crash bar bracket is all bent up too...what's got me in a twist...is ...is it normal to find those crash side brackets WELDED!? specially when there's bolts to hold it on...and I'm NOT seeing these crash side brackets staying on the trucks when a plow mount is added......?????????????????

Anyone?? Welded....not welded?? what's your truck look like?

· Registered
3 Posts
I've been researching some answers here. OR, trying to. Apparently, Ford from 1999 and up added "crash bars" to their trucks to prevent a truck from climbing another vehicle in a rear end collision type situation.

I just got a 2002 Ford F350 that has not seen a plow yet. It's the "era" of the flat spring in front not the coil type that started mid year 2004 and up. Any hoots there's a bar that goes along the bottom that's fastened to the brackets that are mounted on the frame. Well apparently that bar did it's job. Looks like someone hit like a cemented in sign post?? The bar is long gone and the pass side bar mount is ripped off! Yes! How the hell do you rip off 1/4 inch steel!!?? Anyhoots...

My plan is to put on Fisher MM mounts on the front. the pdf I found says just remove the crash bar and put it away to give to the buyer if you sell the truck...It does not say to remove the side crash brackets ...and it continutes to tell you how to mount the Fisher MM mounts...(bumper comes off to do the project)...

Here's what QUESTION I have... I've looked at several trucks in the parking lots with my year in mind 1999-2004...no matter if it's BOSS or Fisher MM mounts...the trucks also have had the side crash bar side mounts removed...and the plow mounts where put on the frame and a bar from those mounts went across.... That said..here's what confuses me ...someone or the factory.....WELDED a weld in the slots of the crashbar side mounts!! so...even if I remove the two top frame bolts..and the Nut on the spring...I'm going to have to somehow grind the weld inside the slots....DAMN! wow...so I ask...is this a factory thing...or did someone weld those crash bar side mounts...

remember..it's not like I'm going to put or provide a crash bar ever again...and remember I'm already missing the bar that goes across and one side mount is already busted! the driver side crash bar bracket is all bent up too...what's got me in a twist...is ...is it normal to find those crash side brackets WELDED!? specially when there's bolts to hold it on...and I'm NOT seeing these crash side brackets staying on the trucks when a plow mount is added......?????????????????

Anyone?? Welded....not welded?? what's your truck look like?
I think Ur reading into this too much.
Put the plow on and Plow.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Ur reading into this too much.
Put the plow on and Plow.
I wish I was "reading too much into"...But let's think about that for a minute. Look at our world right now...a Sue happy don't care to do it right world... Even though most crap today comes with China directions and instructions...I was bought up in a world ..where you made the effort to follow the directions of the maker of such product...Why...well for the safety of others and myself. Also to remove any fault towards me and honor the warranty if such. I've watched insurance investigators...companies they are working for...new world....example, Part of a house burnt due to the old electric wire on the old side of the house...The new side of the house got new wires, wood stove, the new side was done by pro's and inspected by town dept and other inspectors for the required job! All pass with flying colors...However, the Insurance investigator found the woodstove(that had nothing to with the fire) installation manual. the clearance for the upward pipe was 1/4 inch "off". Yet the other inspectors manual said something different related to single wall and double wall pipe. Bottom line...the Insurance company did NOT honor insurance for the burnt home! So?? did you remember to put the required 3 screws in the pipe?? and so on...only room to put 2 in...?? well you better find a spot for that 3rd screw!! or...get screwed! New's headline...vehicle owner removes crash bar to install plow mounts)does not follow directions)...someone cut brake hoses on truck, owner not aware...truck crashed into back of car and climbed car killing person in the back of other vehicle....Owner arrested and will be paying settlement due to Insurance not willing to cover.

ok...I think I'm gonna keep reading into the proper way...or try my hardest to figure out the proper way...Thank You

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some of those early trucks did have the bar welded - the only fix is to cut it off. Theres no trick to it..

Obviously you'll be screwed when trying to reinstall it later if you remove the mount but I doubt anyone ever reinstalled that thing even if they could.
In my case...I've found that the "bar" is NOT welded...it's got 3 bolts in each side to remove the bar and save it to put back on if plow mounts come off. (plow mounts come with their own bar)... HOWEVER...what I found welded was my side brackets...but like I said..my pass side one is snapped off leaving the metal where it's welded, and my crash bar is missing, the driver side crash bracket is still there but bent up pretty good. I just wonder if the "weld" was done factory ...or later by someone...for some reason? I've been looking at trucks in parking lots within my year...and I'm seeing alot if different methods...the BOSS plow set up's....REMOVE the side crash bar brackets...saw a Fisher MM set up and the crash bar side mounts where left alone and plowmounts installed around them...another set up of Fisher MM...the side crash bar brackets where not there...?? So?? that mean that normally they are not factory welded? If the Moderator approve my comment below with the PDF link...everyone can get a better view of what's being spoken here. In that pdf directions for Fisher MM...it looks like the crash bar side mounts can stay on...and not get in the way of installing the plow mounts....?????? I wish the pdf....actually wrote...crash bar side mounts stay on, only bar needs to be removed...Hard to tell if they installed "around" the crash bar side mounts... Anyhow...even with fair directions and instructions...how things can come up a little "unclear".

· Registered
512 Posts
If memory serves correct Ford called it a blocker beam. Now thru the years the mounting brackets changed some.
As did the truck frame configurations. When installing a plow frame it has to be removed.
I think I still have a few in the shed.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m not sure why it did that?
Maybe it has something to do with the number of by posts you have?

anyway , we can see it now .
yeah,,,, not sure why the pdf needed to be "checked"....but glad it came through...you guys can see what is being chatted about...the pdf calls it a blocker beam bar or brackets...I call it a crash bar..or crash bar brackets...same thing....

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If memory serves correct Ford called it a blocker beam. Now thru the years the mounting brackets changed some.
As did the truck frame configurations. When installing a plow frame it has to be removed.
I think I still have a few in the shed.
yes....blocker beam...as seen in the pdf attached....I call it a crash bar...due to that's it's nick name...and it's job was to prevent a truck climbing over a car in a crash...so it's said... Yes, I agree with all the looking into this...certain yrs of trucks...certain plow mounts...and so on...for sure some changes in the whole idea... Yes, from most I've seen...the blocker beam(crashbar) and it's brackets needed to be removed for plow mounts and it's own "bar" to be installed...My big question was...them blocker beam BRACKETS...when did they start getting welded....?? Or is tis something done by someone other than factory?(my truck has seen two previous owners). Why did this convo even get started?...I have the truck in the air..and with the blocker beam missing and one bracket totaled....other one bent...Knowing that I'm going to be putting a plow on this truck...I figured I'd remove the ALL the blocker beam stuff....it came to my surprise to find the beam brackets welded!!! I thought it was strange...as the big leaf spring bolt holds it..along with two in the frame...what was the reason for the weld?...and if folks where to put a plow on....and the beam brackets need to be removed...for putting on the plow mounts...why the hell did someone or factory weld'm on!!!! and the welds are in the slots of the beam bracket...not an easy place to grind the welds off... Hey..it's one thing to use rivets to hold on the shackle brackets...but damn...we now weldin' stuff on too? Just find it odd ??????????????????????????????????????

· Super Moderator
980 Posts
Post a good pic of yours.
1999, the blocker beam was an original design on the trucks. On Some it can be unbolted and on others it's a welded part of the front spring shackle.

why is this an issue because of safety or the causes of the conflict with the model of plow?

Maybe you’d be less stressful if you looked at a different plow manufacture.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sadly I can't really provide a good pic...as I'm missing the blocker bar, and the pass side blocker bracket is snapped off! and the dirver side is bent to hell. HOWEVER!.... if you look at page 3 of the pdf link I have in this chat session ..it's a perfect pic of what I have...or what was there before I got the truck.
Mine is a 2002 and it's the unbolted kind..or at least the blocker beam bar is from it's blocker side brackets...but..the brackets are welded on even though there's some major bolts holding it on.. I just wonder if anyone else had the side blocker beam bar mounts welded to their frame...factory job..or someone messin' with truck before I got it?

No...not really worried about safety....as long as I either have plow mounts with back bar...or the blocker beam brackets that are not busted or missing with bar...then it's "acceptable"...
I figure with the blocker beam bar missing..the blocker side mount busted other one bent...I'd just find the plow mounts to put on the vehicle.

stress//?? not too much there... the reason I'm leaning to the Fisher MM mounts...is I happen to have a plow set up of such, just need to get mounts for this yr of truck...I'm debating to get into the "V" plow thing...if I do and I get the BOSS...it looks like I will have to unweld the blocker beam side mounts in order to put the BOSS mounts on!!! I've been looking at setups of my yr truck in the parking lots....amazing to find so many DIFFERENT layouts and requirements as far as the removal of the blocker beam side mounts ... some plow mounts can work around the blocker side mounts where others can NOT....see....no stress....just no grinding of welds...LOL anyhoots.....interesting topic...because many just say and think...slap it on and be done with it....that's not always a true concept.... regardless....may all have a good-healthy New Year!

· Registered
512 Posts
yes....blocker beam...as seen in the pdf attached....I call it a crash bar...due to that's it's nick name...and it's job was to prevent a truck climbing over a car in a crash...so it's said... Yes, I agree with all the looking into this...certain yrs of trucks...certain plow mounts...and so on...for sure some changes in the whole idea... Yes, from most I've seen...the blocker beam(crashbar) and it's brackets needed to be removed for plow mounts and it's own "bar" to be installed...My big question was...them blocker beam BRACKETS...when did they start getting welded....?? Or is tis something done by someone other than factory?(my truck has seen two previous owners). Why did this convo even get started?...I have the truck in the air..and with the blocker beam missing and one bracket totaled....other one bent...Knowing that I'm going to be putting a plow on this truck...I figured I'd remove the ALL the blocker beam stuff....it came to my surprise to find the beam brackets welded!!! I thought it was strange...as the big leaf spring bolt holds it..along with two in the frame...what was the reason for the weld?...and if folks where to put a plow on....and the beam brackets need to be removed...for putting on the plow mounts...why the hell did someone or factory weld'm on!!!! and the welds are in the slots of the beam bracket...not an easy place to grind the welds off... Hey..it's one thing to use rivets to hold on the shackle brackets...but damn...we now weldin' stuff on too? Just find it odd ??????????????????????????????????????
My 2002 Ford F-350 is inside my place so I gave it a look. The brackets for the blocker beam are bolted and welded as they are part of the front spring hanger.
I do not think you need them for your plow frame. The only time I have seen them removed, as in cut off was on a Meyer plow installation. But that was on a 2007 Ford F-550.
And they were a different configuration.

· Registered
8,497 Posts
Wowzers...that's a lot of monitor ink to make the decision to remove it and just install the freaking plow frame.

• Helpful
Reactions: cwren2472
1 - 17 of 17 Posts