Snowplow Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
maybe luck?

Just a comment: I bought a 2001 2500HD oct of 2000. put a 8' curtis 3000 on it. Nearly 800lbs. Cranked up the bars added 305 MTR's aligned the front. Rotate every 3000 mi. I'm 46 and have pushed since 15, have owned or used most brands. My truck has worked its butt off. Most aren't familiar with the Curtis Plow. The truck portion of the mount is set further back then most if not all. Which helps lesson front axel load.(distribute) Other than brakes I have not had any problems with my 2500HD. Nothing. So if there is frame issues I would bet it's from undercarriage frame design or lack there of. From the mentioned makes. Lastly, For those new, 1/2 ton's are good for mom's house and all your friends, but if this is your livelyhood buy a serious heavy duty truck. If you take care of it it will take care of you!

Ramblin Murph

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I was cleaning up my 01 GMC K2500HD yesterday and noticed that mine has the factory braces like the chassis cab has.:grinz . I dont know why it has them,and others dont.There is nothing special about my truck,its just a 2500 crew cab/short box/8100Allison.This truck definetely didnt have a plow on it before I got it,and I put the heavy 810 on it,so Im glad i have them,its one less thing I have to worry about. Ill get a few pictures and post them when it stops raining.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
John, My brothers 01 ex cab short bed has them as well. He has the 8.1 and the ally trans.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Just looked at a friends 01 Duramax/Allison excab with a plow prep pkg, it did not have the braces.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I don't think that little bit of steel will help anyways. It's better than nothing I guess.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'm stumped. Where are the braces? Can you point it out with an arrow?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Look at the upper controll arm mounts, it's on the rea one. It's a small piece welded from the frame to the mount.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Only thanks to your post!:salute

Now its warranty and:weld :weld , unles of course GM wants to put a new frame under it:D

Bill

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You should push for the new frame, it's one way to force them to look into this problem and solve it from their end.
If this was your fault they would give you the line of warraty will be void on a welded frame, safety concerns, liability concerns.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Yes,id go for a new frame,and if it was mine,and came thru without braces,I think Id add them before next season.It's a 3500 with plow prep package,no way for them to say you used it beyond what it was meant to do. im goingto check my uncle's 2500HD,too see if its cracking yet next time i see him.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Here's the update, after talking with the dealer, and rep:

The dealer forgot my truck is a 3500, when he first talked to the rep, GM rep said NO warranty, it was from over loading the truck, and NOT the front from the plow, but the cracking is caused by overloading on the REAR:huh
The dealer called him back and explained the mistake, after all thats why I bought a 3500, they will cover the REPAIR under warranty.
Anyways the rep will be here next week and wants to look at the truck.
When I talk to the rep I'm going to ask that it be reported to Transport Canada Vehicle safety branch, after all what would happen if the frame broke on the road?:eek:
So you guys that have 2500's and carry a spreader, GM wouldn't warranty the repair:mad: Funny the frames are identical:rolleyes:

Bill

·
Registered
979 Posts
Wow, I became quite concerned after reading this so I went out and checked mine. I found a couple things. First, there are no visual cracks. Secondly, there are gussets on top of frame & arm mount toward the rear. So I'm feeling much better, however they are not that beefy looking so I'll continue to plow with care. Mine is 6.0/4L80E with plow prep package.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Joey D said:
You should push for the new frame, it's one way to force them to look into this problem and solve it from their end.
If this was your fault they would give you the line of warraty will be void on a welded frame, safety concerns, liability concerns.
Joey, I think I stated earlier in this thread but maybe not, GM has been having this problem since the late 80's. If they haven't addressed it in almost 20 years, I don't think they're going to. The dealer by us was warrantying them for one frame, 2500 or 3500, after that GM was not paying, didn't matter what age the truck was or how many miles. And this was for a company with a fleet of 20+ trucks.

·
Registered
719 Posts
snonut12 said:
Wow, I became quite concerned after reading this so I went out and checked mine. I found a couple things. First, there are no visual cracks. Secondly, there are gussets on top of frame & arm mount toward the rear. So I'm feeling much better, however they are not that beefy looking so I'll continue to plow with care. Mine is 6.0/4L80E with plow prep package.
Is this a reg cab or extended cab, long wheel base? it seems to be hit or miss as to which trucks have gussets. If I remember the chassis cabs weren't availible with 137" wheelbase of the reg cab, so maybe it's only reg cabs that are missing the gusset.

Bill

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I doubt they could get away with voiding a warranty on a 2500HD for a v box.It would depend on how big it was,the GVWR difference of 700 lbs really isnt much at all,and as we all know the weight in the bed,and the 2500/3500 badge on the door has little to do with the frame breaking,although the weight may play a small role.

·
Registered
719 Posts
John, I hear ya, but GM said flat NO if it was a 2500.

Seems only 3500 Chassis cab and 2500/3500 crew cab have the gusset.

Bill

41 - 60 of 81 Posts