Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding more of these cracked frames and getting calls about them from other dealers and truck owners.

This is a FYI. I am posting picts of one of the worst one's we've had. The crack went from the top of the frame to withing an inch of the bottom. When the plow was lifted the bumper dropped 2 inches. The plow owner was complaining of the headlights pulling away from the bumper when he lifted the plow and reduced lift height.

One of the Blizzard dealers in Buffalo called about trucks coming in with the frames cracked and the inside cross member support tearing out on Boss and Blizzard installs.

We've seen them here in Erie with Fisher, Western, Boss and Blizzard plow installs on Straights, V's and 810's.

Cheve states that the 2500 and 3500 use the same frames. The only difference is the 3500 Cab and Chassis that have a factory added top of frame brace installed.

These first picts are of the C+C braces

Attachments

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Repair is to pull the frame straight, prep and clean, reweld and add the top gussett / support.

The welded picts above show the first pass welds before cleaning for the second pass and the top gussett.

This is going to be an ongoing problem with the 99 + 1500,2500 and 3500 frames so Cheve / GMC owners please check your frames frequently.

Jerre

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will,

alot of the guys know that I'm often accused of picking on the Cheve/GMC crowd for there nice looking Cars. I love the ride and own and love my Tahoe, but not for commercial or large residential plowing IMO. Some guys have great luck but I've seen this since the 88 Frame and suspenson change came about.

It worry's me that this continues to happen even with the HD badge on the side of the truck. Like Ron is so fond of saying Just because it has an ERIE sticker on it....its not bullet proof.

Thing is Cheve/GMC has know about this for a long time and keep denying it.

Jerre

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Jerre are these cracks appearing before or after the upper A-arm or either side? Have you noticed any similarites between the trucks or is just happening on any GM truck with a plow on it?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thanks Jerre.

I was hoping they got it right with the "new hydroformed" frame sections, but apparently its the same old problems. I wonder what Timbrens will do to aggrivate the frame issue?

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem seems to be with the frame flexing on the Cheve's. Some of them start from the bottom ( mostly 88-98's ). Some from the tops ( mostly 99+ ).

What we are seeing is that with or without Timbrens this is occuring. Like I posted Cheve knew about the problem if they were putting the plates on the Cab and Chassis. This is also part of the Engine droping into the frame on impact for the engine to drop below the passenger compartment. This has occured where the engine drops and interfers with the front axle shaft causing quite a noisy condition.

Jerre

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I hate the fact that this happens on the GM's.
The new mounting systems don't do anything to help this either. The old Fisher conventional mount for the 88 and up GM's had two braces running to the trans crossmember instead of the lower controll arm crossmember. It's just to much leverage on the frame rails. They have a big curve built into the rails to make room for the front suspension and the plow braces to the start of the curve. Loose the mounting to the 1st crosmember and run them to the strait frame rails under the cab and problem solved or if GM is reading, build a stronger frame dammit.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Jerre,
Thank you for passing the info along. I will have to check this out considering I have a fleet of GM trucks with Boss blades.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We hung alot of the 88-98's and rehung them with those bars you're talking about. Serious ground clearence restriction on an already low down truck frame.

I think the truck frame improvement is the big thing. This spot on the frame has been a problem since 88-98 changes.

Jerre

·
Registered
946 Posts
My dad's work truck is a 90 Chevy 3500 Dump with 454 and 3spd with granny gear. This last storm we had the Fisher broke the frame on the truck. He noticed when he picked the plow up the driver-side would drop down a ways with the pass. staying. He got out and looked and seen that where it bolts up thru the bottom of the frame had ripped. The plate with nuts welded to it torn the bottom on the frame off,with about a 1/4 inch left on each side . We cut a a piece of flat plate to slide in the frame and ran bead down the under side and in side the frame rail and then bolted it back up. We dropped the other side right away and did the same. My dad's 89 6.2's frame was cracked where the bars for a Fisher mount came back and attached, the guy use to run a Fisher V on the truck till the frame cracked.

IMO the Fishers are to heavy for the Chevy IFS trucks,even my Diamond is to heavy for my truck,the reason I want to go to Meyers. The Fishers are to heavy for the Chevy/GMC,but everyone runs them up here and usually put them on at the first snow fall and does not remove them till the last.

Jeff

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Chuck Smith said:
I think it is more that the frames are too thin than the plows too heavy.

~Chuck
Going to have to start hanging SnowBears on Chebbies. :grinz :grinz ducking

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mark Oomkes said:
Going to have to start hanging SnowBears on Chebbies. :grinz :grinz ducking

And life preservers on Bobcats! :D

·
Registered
825 Posts
5 of my subs have had this issue already. 2 of them under warranty with a total of $6300.00 in labor and material dollars. WOW !!!!! I just had my truck in for a check, they found nothing. GOOD GMC will put in and weld in the correct gusset to prevent this for $225.00. Mine goes in next week. I don't want any problems pulling the boat. Overall the truck plowed and operated just fine. My Fords saw alot of issues again this year (Frames, Transmissions, front axles, etc...), but the season isn't over yet and we'll survive.

Thanks for a great season to all.

Jon:wink

·
Registered
342 Posts
Jon, is it possible for you to post some pictures of what GOOD does to your truck? It would be interesting to see what they do. Im temped to give my salesmen for GOOD a call and see what they can do for me.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts