Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of opening my own business instead of subbing for somebody this year. I have a potential on 2 large contracts, and its the perfect incentive to start on my own.

How do you non-landscapers out there insure your truck. The general liability is easy that goes with the business, but how about the commercial truck insurance. The broker I talked to says that the truck has to be in the name of the business. Doesn't that mean I have to sell my truck to my business? Can I just transfer registration or as long as its in my name is that ok?

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Not sure what the laws are like there,but here you can use your own name as your business name for a sole-proprietorship making under $30K.In this case no change is neccessary.

If you have a registered company,not limited or incorporated,then you would have to change the ownership to Joe Blow DBA XXX snowplowing,DBA meaning "doing business as".This is just a simple ownership change.

If you are limited or incorporated,then you will have to transfer the title to your company,and pay any fees or taxes involved.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Check with your Division of Motor Vehicles. In Maine, you can switch back and forth easily, depending on what you say you're using the truck for. I changed my one ton to personal use vehicle last Spring, dropped the GL and went to a personal vehicle policy. Now I bought a 3/4 ton to plow with; got my GL back and transferred the one ton plates to it. I'll be switching back to Commercial Vehicle registration as soon as they mail me the new insurance card. (This won't work on a vehicle bigger than a one ton - there are flaky state laws with regards to inspecting and registering a one ton).

·
Banned
1,659 Posts
here in NJ, i have my 97 registered in my name, because I didn't have the LLC established when I bought the truck. I have had it on commercial insurance for 6 years with no problems. The new truck I just bought, has the companies name on the registration, and that is also on commercial insurance.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Here in NYC it's been disasterous. I bought the new F350 in 04 and have yet to be able to properly cover myself. I got a quote this year of $2300 for commercial insurance but I don't think the broker is properly covering me. I've contacted so many brokers and as soon as I say "snow" they all tell me they don't offer any coverage. I've had to say I'm a landscaper to even get a broker to talk to me, meanwhile I've remained idle when it snows. :wah :help :confused:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

In NJ, I thought the GL would be really high. I was very surprised when I got a quote of 1600 for November 1 until the end of April for 1 million dollar police. I called and said I am just snow plowing no landscaping. From what I've heard it should have been more expensive than landscaping.

I'll have to stop by dmv and see what I need to do for the truck's registration.

Joe

·
Registered
215 Posts
Joe92GT said:
Thanks guys!

In NJ, I thought the GL would be really high. I was very surprised when I got a quote of 1600 for November 1 until the end of April for 1 million dollar police. I called and said I am just snow plowing no landscaping. From what I've heard it should have been more expensive than landscaping.

I'll have to stop by dmv and see what I need to do for the truck's registration.

Joe
Holy! Care to PM me the info on that carrier??? I was unable to find a plow only policy in NJ.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Joe92GT said:
Thanks guys!

Joe
Yeah PM me too with that info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Joe,

Is your business a sole proprietorship or what?

If it is NOT a Sole Proprietorship, then the vehicle needs to be owned and registered in the business name.

If you are a sole proprietorship, your business name is nothing but a DBA, the business's EIN is your social security number, it can be owned and registered in your own name.

·
Registered
7 Posts
im also in nj, if i wanted to plow driveways do i have to get insurance? would it be commercial insurance even though i dont own a business?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
juraj037 said:
im also in nj, if i wanted to plow driveways do i have to get insurance? would it be commercial insurance even though i dont own a business?
Yes, you need Commercial Vehicle insurance

and

General Liability insurance - Residential for driveways

If you accept payment for plowing, you are technically and legally a business.

·
Registered
7 Posts
another question: i have been cleaning driveways for 2 winters now using a snowblower, should i be insured? or is insurance only necessary for a plow?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
General Liability insurance IS a form of commercial insurance in that it covers operations of a business. Yes, you might want GL for using a snowblower.

General Liability insurance is insurance against claims that arise out of damage done by you or others acting on your behalf. As applied to plowing snow, it would pay claims that come about by injury to others for what is called "completed operations" such as someone who falls on a area that you were responsible for clearing. In using a snowblower, it would cover damage done by a rock thrown from the chute, for example.

Commercial Vehicle is insurance that covers your vehicle. It would pay for damage done, for instance, if you drove into a store front. Usually insurance companies will insist on you having both. Then when there is a claim, each will attempt to shift responsibility to the other. For instance, say you ran into the side of a customer's car with the plow while plowing snow in a driveway. Which policy pays will depend on how each policy is written and which can successfully shift responsibility to the other.

·
Registered
21 Posts
GL is not a requirement by law like commercial auto liability is, at least as far as I know.

I am not saying you shouldn't have it, but you shouldn't need it legally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i understand.
but like the example used" if i hit a customers car" isnt that covered by my auto insurance as well?

can i still plow driveways without having to buy insurance? that should answer my questions, hopefully:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
juraj037 said:
i understand.
but like the example used" if i hit a customers car" isnt that covered by my auto insurance as well?

Not necessarily. It depends on the circumstances, how the policy is written and how the insurance company views it.

can i still plow driveways without having to buy insurance? that should answer my questions, hopefully:rolleyes:

Sure you can. Just be ready to assume financial and legal responsibility for anything that happens.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hmm. I am not trying to sound like a jerk, but if while driving your truck you hit a customers parked car and your commercial auto liability insurance doesn't cover it you might want to consider a new insurance company.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts