Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change to a poly edge on some of my pull plows. How far down from the bottom of the plow can the edge extend? Equal to the edges' thickness? Twice that? Most likely going with 1.5" thick material.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Ron, my experience with a 1.5" edge is that you can stick it down 2" below the backer and get away with it. I also pre-beveled mine, might not be needed but it sure cut down on break-in time. Set a skilsaw at about 15° and cut just enough to leave a small flat at the front of the bevel. Saw probably won't like it much, the material gets real gummy.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I have read the materials thickness for overhang .
I have used a regular combination blade and it worked fine .

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Jerre, these are for my pull plows. My guess is that I can just get the 6" wide material, drill it in the middle, mount it so I have about 2" showing below the plow, and flip it over when it gets worn.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ron,

Here are some pics of my install.

The edge was 1" x 5" to start, i believe. It edge sits 2 1/2" below the plow as it stands now. I don't think it was a 6" tall edge. I have never had a problem with it. This edge has at least 5 seasons of use on it.

Hope this helps.

Chuck B.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Not that I am aware of. You can use a small piece of flat stock on the inside if you wanted to, but not having it has never caused me any problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts