Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as alot of you know, the older curtis models have a bad design when it comes to the connection plugs...

My plow is a 1999, and Sometimes after a single push I have to get out and jiggle the wires, cross my fingers that it has a good connection, and then hopefully it'll raise, if it doesnt raise, i jiggle some more.

Is there any kind of kit I can get to make it come out of the grille like other manufactures or is there something I can do besides the di-electric grease and slightly splitting open some of the pins.

I love the plow, but I HATE the connection.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
premier, is yours the single plug design or the older double plug design. We've got quite a few options available to improve the plug problem.

Jerre

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never seen them both, so I dont know if its single or double. Im going to guess its single though, its the kind that plugs in by the bottom by the bracket.

Please let me know how I can make this better, because I HATE having to get out after each run to jiggle the wires and cross my fingers that it's fixed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what can I get fix this, its sopossed to snow 2-3" tomorrow, and I'd like to get this fixed if I can. Or atleast order some parts to get it fixed within the next week or two. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Premier, the start to get you through the storm is to take the plug out of the bracket down low on the frame. Re route it to come out through or above the bumper. Clean both halves and use a tie wrap on each half around the plug half and then use one too pull each half together. You can also use Ball Bungies to keep them together. The low mounting point causes them to catch everything. The blizzards had the same problem with the mounting bracket. Western and Fisher came up with a metal clip to hold them together using the plug cap as a strap that worked pretty well till the strap broke.

The way we fix the stubborn ones is to goto a set of 6 pin plugs like the lights use but in a weather proof design. NAPA carries these. Then we use a connector like Wyldman is showing in the Dealer thread http://letstalksnow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11577

For the power and ground connection. Been doing this a long time on the Snoways and Curtis plows. The older units only had 4 control wires because the lights came out the grill. Now your lighting is in the main plug and you need the double 6 pin connectors.

NAPA has all the parts you need at most of the stores. Or I can ship them up to you.

Be sure to use shrink tube over the connections or use shrinkable connections after the solder or crimp.

Jerre

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much...

One more question if you dont mind me asking....

Is there any kind of way I could just snip the connection wires at the bottom, route them through the grille and attach them to a new female plug??? If so, where can I get the plug, there are no close dealers around me, closest one is about an hour or two.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i am have the same problem as premier i know this thread is old but does anybody have any suggestions on what plugs to use to replace mine

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
only advise I have is sell it and get something different.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just to clarify/correct ... the older style wiring harness has only 1 plug while the newer style has 2 plugs ... I've had both and also ran into intermittent power losses with the older plow. (also a '99 model) This may not be much help to you guys but the dealer here said he actually made an adapter so he could plug the old plows into the new wiring harness to solve the problem. You do have to buy the new harness then obviously but it does solve the problem. Like PremierLandscaping suggested ... I just sold my old plow and bought the new improved. The new model is much improved in many ways. Anyhow I just brought this up to let you it is possible to fix if that's your only option and you want it bad enough. Anybody that wires for a living should be able to do the work. With this being such a common problem and serious design flaw you would think Curtis would offer an adapter ... do they? good luck anyhow!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Extra wiring harness

I have a updated wiring harness from Curtis that I don't need, let me know if you still need one , I am located in Whitmore Lake. They are brand new in the bag. Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts