Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys deal with condo walk ways
there only about 2' -2.5' wide. what the fastest way to clear them depending on snow fall amounts.

Also how do you spread the deicer on them?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
the fastest way probaly would be a snowblower as to that you could get your path in one pass and they can handle most any ammount of snow you get. and as for salting you could use a backpack spreader or a push spreader like the ones used for fertalizeing lawns.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I find that the little single stage snowblowers work great for the narrower sidewalks.

I use a small blower on one property, it makes quick work of the sidewalks, I make one pass out, then one back, and I'm done. Onto the next stretch.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what about ice melt applications?

·
AKA "Iceman"
821 Posts
Well you can use several methods....

You can spread by hand and scoop,
or you can use a walk behind spreader or
you can use a backpack liquid sprayer and spray caliber on the walks

If there are miles of sidewalks, you could mount either a spray tank or spreader on the back of a quad

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
adams, sorry i didn't see your post before....what do u mean by back pac spreader? do u mean sprayer? if so what are u spraing and does it cost the same or more than ice melter?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
thats alright i was refuring to spraying liquid like caliber it costs more than rock salt but depending on the area it can smoetimes be worth the extra money becides its comming out of the customers pocket ultimately... so it just depends what they want.

·
AKA "Iceman"
821 Posts
at The Taconic BBq, They were demonstrating a battery powered 3 or 4 speed backpack sprayer. Holds about 5 gals of liquid and you can walk and spray quite a distance.

I think the sprayer was about $250

Caliber is a liquid deicer, not sure at this point what the prices is per gallon.

They recommend Caliber for sidewalks because it is clear.

·
AKA "Iceman"
821 Posts
Just had another idea for sidewalks .

You can use one of the Power Debris brooms like from Shindawa or you can try one of these ( they may work on lighter accumulations) but everyone I know that uses them swears by them.

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
A snowblower and a walk behind speader seen to work the best for us.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Im useing a Ariens single stage blower 5hp, and the same spreader I use for fertilizer. Its broadcast walk beind spreader that i hung heavy plastic around ( like a skirt) so it will drop the salt on the sidewalks and not cast the salt all over the grass....

:canada

·
AKA "Iceman"
821 Posts
LawnGodFather, I know they look cheesy

But people I know that have them say they work. Go figure !

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pro property

any picks of your spreader

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ill take some with the digital today and post them this afternoon...
:canada

·
Registered
132 Posts
It aint pretty , but it works well. I tried it in the driveway... Its the plastic carpet protector . You can buy it off the roll... I then trimmed to proper length and pop riveted it on to the upper edge...

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
The plastic wraps all the way around the spreader...

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
does it spread even?
too much or to little?

Thanks great pics

1 - 20 of 29 Posts