Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but not here yet.

What does everyone use for communication between trucks? What are the costs/range/reliability of each.

We use Icom VHF radios. 55 watts, they have a range of about 50 kilometers. I have a base station in the office so during a storm we can be contacted immediately, and the nearest truck can be sent to look after the job. The radios were about $350 each plus the high gain antennas were about 50 each. I like this setup as it is low cost, once you have the radios initially purchased all there is is a yearly licence fee which gives you your own channel to use. They are reliable, and haven't let us down yet. Another benefit of them is having the local weather channels available at any time in the truck.

As backup we have cells, which also allow us to contact or be contacted by other plow contractors.

Lets here what everyone uses, and maybe see some pics of the setups.:drinkup

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
cb and cellphones although sometimes theres deadzones with the phones or theres just too much chatter or distnance inbetween the cb but usually between the two contact can be made. not only that the CB/Cell combo works better if your using subs because everyone can communicate with one another rather than some not being able to get on the private channel without buying extra equipment and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I use nextel and the range is coast to coast :D

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
and there gps enabled so u can track it too for the drivers u dont trust to much

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Nextell is good if you can get out lol A friend of mine has one has to go outside to use his whiel I just dial out lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm a one guy one truck deal, I just talk to myself.:argue

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use nextels ,I couldnt run my buisness without them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use Kenwood VHF radios in the trucks and a few Kenwood handhelds for the skidloader or a person needing to get outta the truck. I also have a cell phone, as do my usual workers.

I too love the weather channels being programmed into our radios! Very convenient benefit.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
CB and cell here too. Have an old 23 channel base at the house .

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
40Ch CB and Cell. If nothing else, I'll turn on ch 19, there's always someone jabbering on there, even at 4am :haha

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have heard a tremendous amount of chatter on CB for some plow businesses. First of all it's the wrong use of that band when a business is using it for such activity. The plowers and the dispatcher take over 1-2 channels staking them as their claim, turn up their squelches to eliminate background noise/signals, and just chat away. It's not uncommon for the dispatch base to be running some high power as well. I take a dim view of this type of activity, unfortunately it's far too much effort for the FCC to crack down on these "temporary" infractions, much the same for the occasional hi-wattage CB transmitter. Plow businesses should realize that if they choose to use CB rather than their own dedicated FCC given freq. they open themselves to monitoring by other plowers with CB radios as well as other CB'ers that will intentionally interfere with communications.

·
Registered
275 Posts
We use nextel two-ways. They work great.

·
Registered
101 Posts
VHF radios and cell phones. 40 and 45 watt Motorolas in the trucks, and 5 watt portables when we get out to shovel or recaffeinate. We tried NEXTEL a few years ago, but the service isn't that great around here yet.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Cell phone here- I have better coverage than most with my carrier. I have upset many a person by making a call when they had no signal!! I also use it to connect to the internet to track the snow squalls that we get regularly here- I have to keep up on the radar since we get localized lake effect regulalry. I usually end up with at least twice the amount they call for in Syracuse on a regular basis!

Bill

·
Registered
445 Posts
We use Verizon cell phones never had a problem

1 - 20 of 44 Posts