Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few mornings have been quite cold (-17C) and starting the sander has been VERY difficult due in part to having to drive there, with the wind chill. Is there a heater/fan that could be put under the cover?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Henry, I don't have an answer but I'm real interested in any replies. I just walked back in the house from a call for sanding. It got real cold last night (-8°F with wind chill -30°) but I didn't even think about the sander motor not starting. Like you said - VERY hard starting. Finally started with the third try of using starter fluid. Then it died a couple of times. Using the engine block heater on the 6.5 for two hours worked real good. I'll probably start just it in the garage before I leave.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Just put your incandescant droplight under the engine cover lit, then cover the shroud with a tarp. This will hold enough heat under there to make starting fairly easy.

In severe cold, I'd make sure the engine would start and run before leaving, then just let it idle between stops. They don't use much gas at all at idle, I could run a few hours before needing to refuel the sander motor. It was a Briggs 8 hp in a Torwell

·
Registered
183 Posts
Use your exhaust

Get a piece of 4" flex pipe and adaptor if needed and slide over you truck's tailpipe, take the other end and stick in one of the holes in your engine cover on your spreader, or lift cover up a little. In about 10 minutes it will start like it does in summer temps.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Thanks to both Pelican and dynamike. I printed this thread out and putting it in my books of "helpful hints".:waving :notworthy

I think if Chuck gets another site of references for different subjects like he did before, this should go in "Vbox Spreaders".

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Absolutely thank you!!! These are helpful. Up 'til now I would wrap my hand around the fuel line and fondle the carb with the other for as long as I could stand it, then wait for the heat to penetrate through to the gas. It would generally start after a little turning over. Because I plow with the sander on the back I don't have to use it at every customer but I do like the idle idea. It just gets too cold in between customers. I had thought of installing a little heater under the cover assuming some of the extra wires are "hot". Since I have the motor on a "safety" switch in the truck I figured turning it on a few minutes before starting the engine might help.
I agree that for FAQ's there might be a cold start "topper" and then various machinery underneath.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
The flex hose is a great idea. I bet that does work great. Even with the Honda engine cold start problem at sub zero temps and wild chills can not be avoided. I have also been giving thought to some type of heating. I like the idea of the blanket and drop light.

Only problem I have is my P/U is my daily driver and I keep the V box in all winter. I do not know there is any way to improve cold starting. We have started leaving it running during snow events. I am not sure I will ever use the any starting fluid. My experience with starter fluid is once you use it one time you have to use it all the time.

Needless to say I am reconsidering some type of dependable all electric unit. I am giving a dupm insert with a tailgate spreader a hard look. I have finally found a Downeaster dealer but it is about 1.5 hours from my house and I am not sure the service support will be there.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Mike,

You were right on the button. I was driving around all day trying to get the spreader to start. Pulled into a friend shop and after about 30 mins the thing started right up. Drive for an hour no luck at all. Went to ACE hardware picked up the dryer hose pull into the driveway and slap that hose on. In about 5 mins give her a crank starts the 1st time not problem.

The hose will be in the truck behind the pass. set for the rest of the winter. Now I have to show the driver. I know he is going to be laughing after all the B#$#@ING about cold starting the V box.

Another probelm solved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know about you guys but I was always letting the Motor Rev down to an idle before turning it off. Then I would have to Crank and Crank to get it to restart. Now I have found that If I shut it down at full speed it will fire right up with minimal cranking. That poor motor....

'03 F350 Crew 7.3 Diesel 8' Meyer MDII
'89 F350 Mason Dump 460 8.5' Meyer 1.7yd Air Flow Salter
'00 773 Gold Edition Bobcat
'99 Jeep Wrangler 6.5' Meyer
'89 Chevy K5 Blazer 7.5' Meyer
'95 Chevy 1500 7.5' Meyer

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Tahoe, you're former method of shutting down is the correct one for motor longevity. I always let engines idle a couple minutes to cool down before shutting off. By shutting the engine down at speed, your loading the cylinder with gas, which will either leak dow into the crankcase and dilute the oil, or wash the cylinder clean of lubrication.

It sounds like your choke isn't working. By shutting down at speed, the same conditions exist as would if you choked the engine, the only problem is you aren't burning off the excess fuel right away, it's sitting there in the cylinder doing the damage I've descibed.

Have someone work the choke from inside while you watch to see if it gets actuated. My Briggs had a solenoid actuated choke that could become corroded and sieze up. I kept a can of WD40 in the truck to keep it lubricated and prevent it from siezing.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
A lot of small engines used in cold weather seem to start better if shut off that way.Most snowblowers are like that.If you idle them down before shutting them off,it takes a few good pulls before they fire up.Shut them down from normal running speed,and they light off first pull next time.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I always shut my mowers down from idle, and used to with my spreader, but now I shut it down at around half-throttle. Better start-up like others have said.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I have an 11 hp Honda on my spreader. I was having a lot of trouble starting it and seemed like the only way it would start was with starter fluid. I had changed the plug, taken it to a mechanic and was really PO'd about it until I READ THE INSTRUCTIONS :eek: .

Starts like a charm.

Just to chime in on the shutting down issue - it seems like this would be the same as shutting your car off at 1/2 to full throttle. In the past, I would have suggested a tuneup. Or a fuel pump.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What did the instruction say??????:) I can't stand the suspense.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
windmill said:
What did the instruction say??????:) I can't stand the suspense.
Inject 1/2 can of starter fluid into carbeurator before cranking.:eek:

Kidding.

For a Cold Start - Use throttle to choke the engine, crank until it starts - not over five seconds. Wait ten second between cranking.

I'd been trying to start it without choking. When it wouldn't start, I'd move the choke till it lit, then back off till the light went out. Then I'd use starter fluid (effectively choking it:headwall ).

I guess it had been so many years since I'd had anything that didn't have an automatic choke (probably 25 or 30 years), I'd forgotten how to use one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts