Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just woundering now since all the new diesels engines are here.How is early morning cold start ups? Do you guys plug in to get them to start up or are you able to start them up at at between 15 DEG. to 32 DEG. without plug in.

For ford,chevy,dodge

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
03 Chevy duramax.

motor showed h2o temp of 14*F and it started right up and idled noisy for 5 or so seconds and then quited down to normal. Some dingleberry stole my spot were I normaly park at the apt complex so I couldnt plug it in.

Normaly I plug it in if it will hit freezing just beacause I like having instant heat/and warm truck is a happy truck. Besideds......I dont pay the utilities ;)

The older powerstrokes are a PITA to start. My dads 550 gets pissy if its 30* and its not plugged I swear. The 89 needs ether if the temps go below 45 :headwall

I think all the newer diesels are much better.

·
Registered
620 Posts
We have all Ford Powerstrokes. All will start in any temperature around here without plugging in, however, they run nice and smooth, and the heater works within a couple of miles if we plug them in for a couple of hours before starting. I use a timer.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
ratlover, if your Dad is having that much trouble, then either his glow plugs are bad or the glow plug relay needs replaced. I have 3 PowerStrokes, all start easily regardless of the temperature. I did have a period where the '97 wouldn't start, the glow plug relay had gone bad but as soon as it was replaced it started fine again.

In severe cold, or less than 20 I cycle the glow plugs twice by turning the key on and off again. This helps the engine start quicker. I plug in when I know I have to go out at a certain time, it is nice having the quick warm up.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i never plug my duramax in. i was plugging it in the first winter i got it, and it set off an SES code. i brought it to the dealer, and he said duramaxes dont need to be plugged in unless its -20 or colder. ever since then ive never plugged it in, and it starts right up everytime. gotta love it.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Mine always has fired up no problem in the coldest of weather.

I think the newer trucks start better in the cold due to the new technology in electronic diesel injection.Fuel pressure,injection rates,and timing can now be electronically controlled to suit operation conditions.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
today was the first time its been real cold, since i got my truck(new years eve).

it was 18 degrees this morning, and the 6.0 litre started right up, it sounded like my 89' 7.3 for a bit, but other than that, no problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This morning it was 11degrees F and started without a problem.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It had to be the same here around 11 deg. and with my 6.5 pluged in all night fuel anti gel and it was still kinda of a hard start The cold does not like my truck any more . lol

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I plug mine in at night but it sits during the day with out it. It starts at any temp. It is 3 times louder if not pluged in. It smokes a little bit for a second when it fires up.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Cat, Change the glow plugs out. I did mine at 50,000 just to be sure. They can swell and break off in the pre cup.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
cat 320
My guess is that you have a few back glow plugs. My truck was starting pretty hard any time it went below 45 degrees. Alot of white smoke, and alot of noise.
I replaced all 8 glow plugs and the truck starts very easy now. They were like 12.00 a piece from the dealer. Well worth the money.
Dino

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm sure the 89 needs a few things ;)

The 550 is a 01 or 00 and it will start but it just takes some cranking and belches some smoke and has a heck of an fluctuating idle for a few seconds if its cold.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cold start

Cat,

Good thread. My 01 Ram will start up @ zero no prob without block heater.....but I normally plug it in. Basically to minimize cold startup wear, and mainly to get heat faster. Unplugged it will take 12 miles+ before heat is noticed. I will get heat in two miles when plugged in. Just FYI...the surface temp of the block is 90f on 10 deg night when plugged in. I also run Rotella synthetic oil to speed up the oil pressure at startup to help.

The cummins runs cold at idle, around 200f on my EGT. Today in the 6 deg weather, when idling for a while the temp would go down out of the normal range...maybe time to block off the radiator a little.

Dave

·
Registered
466 Posts
I tried my new 6.0l this morning,it was -10 and the truck hadn't been started in 3 days,made about a turn and a half and fired right up.:D

·
Registered
977 Posts
The 1993 F-350 Diesel started right up this am at -2 but I am glad I read this thread because when I go by the shop tomorrow I am going to plug it in to make sure I don't have a problem when I go to use it next, I have heard rumors of snow Sunday into Monday.

The 2000 F-450 Diesel starts up with little effort every morning, but then again it is kept in a heated garage which is real nice but as I have learned from past experience with the F-350 can also mask a battery problem and then if it gets left out in the severe cold for a period of time with bad batteries it won't crank fast enough to start.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
6.0l quick start

One of the things i like about my 6.0l is doesnt matter what the temp is it fires off quickly also a little noisy for a second or two but still quick starter , The block heaters are nice dont get me wrong but when i have used them its on a timer cause the electric use is high.

My 97 power stroke is a whole diff story can take up to three cycles of the glow plugs to get it to fire like Pelican suggested i also have a sneaky pete cold start system hooked up to it except i dont use starting fluid i replaced that can with wd-40 works really well.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Even if mine will start when its real cold, below 25 I plug all of them in anyway. There aren't many thing any harder on an engine than the first 30 seconds or minute with no oil pressure, then low oil pressure. Not to mention the added strain on the starter etcc.. I intend to keep mine for a few more years and try to make life as easy as possible for them so it doesn't cost me down the road.

·
Registered
620 Posts
We also use full synthetic oil. Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme. Flows better in the cold. Last night it was -15. Coldest in a while around here!:geez

1 - 19 of 19 Posts