Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my ball joints replaced about a month ago, just locked my hubs for the first time since then last night. I can hear a clicking coming from the drivers front, and can sometimes feel it under my left foot. This only started happening when I locked the hubs, and it gets louder and more noticeable when I turn. I took it back to the shop were the ball joints were done, and they said they could hear it, but could not see anything visibly wrong. There advice was drive it till it breaks, which is not the thing that I want to hear. Truck is a 99 F350, powerstroke diesel.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Sounds to me like a bad u-joint somewhere in the front driveline.

If it gets worse when turning,then I would have to say it's probably one of the front axle u joints.

Try locking just one hub to see if you can isolate it to one particular side.

·
Registered
196 Posts
jbutch83 said:
There advice was drive it till it breaks, which is not the thing that I want to hear.
Sounds like when I was told "Test your fan clutch by holding the fan blade while someone starts the engine"...

Who ever said that (some) mechanics aren't smart??

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I just noticed a similar problem.I locked my hubs (the right side seemed to turn very easy).Now when i drive there is a clicking from the right front area and it seems worse when im turning.Bad time to notice this with 12+ inches of snow coming :headwall

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the u-joints, they all seem o.k, and the axle joints were checked when the ball joints were done, they were o.k. also. It seems to be coming more from the drivers side, and louder on turns. Once I get done working this evening, I have one lot that I need to do a clean up on, I will see if I can hear anything else.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I figured out the problem. When the ball joints were replaced, they put new ones on with grease zerks. It seems that the fitting on the drivers side is hitting the axle shaft as it turns, I could see and slight wear mark in the axel shaft today. Will this be ok, or do I need to do something about it.

John

·
Registered
48 Posts
you're not supposed to leave the grease fittings in.grease joints remove the zerk fittings and replace with plugs.I would try to do this before using 4x4 because you'll probably break the fitting off and will have no way to remove the broken piece.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Jbutch remove the zerk from the joint go down to the parts store and tell them you want a flush fit zerk like it should have had installed in the begining it requires a needle fitting to grease but its well worth installing them i dont like to use the caps or plugs because they can set up in the joint then you cant grease them later on. Get you some flush fitts and you will be in good shape, did this shop that installed your balljoints have a good rep cause thats pretty standard knowledge not to run a standard zerk because of interfer.

Hey i just reread your post sorry disregard above they didnt do joints go to part store and get 45 degree grease zerks for ball joints then you will be in good shape.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't do the ball joints, I had one of our local shops do them. They usually do good work, they work on all of our squad cars for the Police Dept. Plus, they cut me a break on the prices. I will stop by today and talk to them, maybe I will just change the fittings out myself, just haven't had the time lately, been working 14 hours shifts. Thanks for the advice.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts