Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I live in Ct and the sunday storm i lost out, on my first account i snaped both front u-joints and shreaded the yokes on the front axle shafts. A $800 repair. And new u-joints were put in 2 weeks ago. I guess thats what i get for letting other people work on my truck ill post pics latter tonight. :burnout

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i should of told you i have a 1976 chevy and there are no cv-shafts , there axle shafts with u-joints, very strong set-up and i was real shocked to see the twisted metel under my truck.

·
Registered
610 Posts
sounds like the joints were the wrong size or they were installed
wrong
john

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah thats the first thing i thought. I have to pay for someone else stupidity so this time im doing it myselfhers some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Either they did something wrong,or something else is wrong.Bad ball joints or the spindle bearings will tear up u-joints pretty quick.

Are you sure they were greased ?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
last one. New shafts for all 4 will be aroung $800 when i can find them that is. They are pretty hard to find. The new ones will be chromes aircraft alloy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had to take the heat wrench to it because it was so twisted that it wouldnt fit through the hole .

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I let this guy replace the whole front end all new ball- joints tie rods steering box anything that moved on the front end was replaced and a total of 1300 was invested and now i have to invest in anothe 800 and thats just parts not counts my time to put in the new shafts

·
AKA "Iceman"
821 Posts
:confused:

Are you sure he did the original work that you requested?

Something is definately not right ! He either didn't replace the parts, didn't replace them with the proper parts or he F**KED UP seriously and didn't properly tighten or grease things that should have been tightened or greased.

OR you Hit a MAJOR OBSTRUCTION !!!!

If he is reputable repair shop, there should be some sort of warranty on his work. If not Contact the State of Connecticut all repair shops have to be registered. File a complaint.

·
Registered
609 Posts
from the looks of it you made a sharp turn in 4wd on pavement

axle sources

http://www.polyperformance.com
www.footeaxle.com
www.warn.com

should be a dana 44 or 60, you can get some bling bling shafts for $300 a side and good joints and you will be set forever

it looks like 5-297 joints which are weaker then the 760 (I think)

make sure that you use spicer joints on the reinstall

and dont forget to fisit www.pirate4x4.com/forum and search for parts for cheap

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
What front axle do you have? Is it a dana 60?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its a dana 44 and im having real trouble finding new inner and outer shafts i can find the inner but no outer and i really need to get this going before snow flys again i already lost one storm and i hand shoveled half my accounts to kept my customers happy any one that has a axle resourse please inform me.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have a truck with a 10 bolt 8 lug front axle in it, not the same but close and will bolt in no problem, gears are 4.10 I think. If it were my truck I would swap in a dana 60. It will also bolt in and will handle more power and weight. Let me know if you want a Dana 60 as I can get you one, they are not cheap though.

·
Registered
333 Posts
son i think its time for a new rig. 76 chevy thats pretty dam good that shes been runing this long.is it really worth it to fix in your eyes.my first truck when parts started becoming hard to find i traded up for something new just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
155 Posts
People say that to me all the time to replace my truck. 85 k-10. Yes it requires a lot of work and fixing I do all myself. Had a cracked frame bla bla. Last storm on Sunday the heater core blew the nite before. So I was putting a heater core in it Sunday (day).
It still does not justify new truck payments and worring about scratching the paint on some bushes or something. My truck can do the same as a $40K truck. I say fix it 76. Check with Fleet pride in Milford on Naugatuck ave. They used to be CT. Driveshaft and I am sure they can help you unless you go mail order.
Good luck.
T.J.
www.tjsperformance.com

·
Registered
609 Posts
how many splines are the outer shafts? if they are 19 spline I have a source for brand new spicers for $50
www.jeffsbroncograveyard.com all ford-chevy and dodge stubshafts are the same, the fords have a clip groove though

call them with shaft legnths from your axle and see if they have any inners, they have a nice package(what was in my bronco) for $650ish with extra HD axles http://broncograveyard.com/products/cat/18/104/22038

1 - 20 of 46 Posts