Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice for plowing my personal driveway. I have a roughly 500’ driveway and 3/4 of it goes up to the road at about a 12 degree incline at its steepest. I get run off and usually there’s an ice layer on the driveway under even fresh dry snow, and then i plow and pray. i’ve slid backwards down it 3 times tonight and nearly crashed.....hard. i only plow down hill but truck was at the bottom so i had to get up it first. i work for a dpw so my driveway gets done usually after snow has long been stopped but do to personal matters i’m off this week and got to it when there was 5 inches on the ground. i have 75% or more tread on my cooper AT3’s and i was in 4 high and 2nd gear. not gonna matter what gear but just to paint a picture. I probably can’t afford studded tires or at least this year. are there studded chains i could use to just keep on while i plow myself and then take off before going on the road? i know it will be a pain but so will having my truck get pulled out of my living room.... I can then salt and get rid of ice after i’ve cleared it and then i’m set and ill be able to salt before it snows in the future but for those days i can’t and might have ice built up underneath i need a safe way of plowing it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I need advice for plowing my personal driveway. I have a roughly 500’ driveway and 3/4 of it goes up to the road at about a 12 degree incline at its steepest. I get run off and usually there’s an ice layer on the driveway under even fresh dry snow, and then i plow and pray. i’ve slid backwards down it 3 times tonight and nearly crashed.....hard. i only plow down hill but truck was at the bottom so i had to get up it first. i work for a dpw so my driveway gets done usually after snow has long been stopped but do to personal matters i’m off this week and got to it when there was 5 inches on the ground. i have 75% or more tread on my cooper AT3’s and i was in 4 high and 2nd gear. not gonna matter what gear but just to paint a picture. I probably can’t afford studded tires or at least this year. are there studded chains i could use to just keep on while i plow myself and then take off before going on the road? i know it will be a pain but so will having my truck get pulled out of my living room.... I can then salt and get rid of ice after i’ve cleared it and then i’m set and ill be able to salt before it snows in the future but for those days i can’t and might have ice built up underneath i need a safe way of plowing it.
If you cannot afford studded tires then really good tire chains will also be out of you budget most likely. However You can try Tirechain.com...the vbars will work best but I would get double the cross links to add traction. Square links are good too for ice and do less damage to the road way.

https://www.tirechain.com/275-45R-18.htm

Just for a rough price estimation...

·
Registered
699 Posts
You have salt and you work for the DPW.
Do you folks per-treat the roadways.

next, I'll "assume" your drive is paved??

As you state you have salt,
Try this next time snow is in the forecast, spread some salt before it snows.
This will stop the ice layer from forming.

or clear the area by the house and treat it first, this will give you a buffer area.
Remember chains are hard on driveways.

a 12deg incline ='s a 21.3% grade.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts