Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow is it cold and the worst is to come . minus 10 for Thur night. My Ram made quite a racket starting this morning - minus 5 . I think it may have been the air pump . The noise lasted a couple of seconds

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
On mine the power steering whines a lot and i fixed that by putting in synthetic P/S fluid. It only happend when its real cold,like 5 degrees out or less.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
festerw

At -10 If yours sounds like mine, it's the serp belt. Plus the p/s pump, plus the alternator, plus the viscus fan, etc etc.. LOL

Seriously, if you want to find out if it's the belt ,get a spray bottle
with a stream option, and open the hood before you start it. Crank it up and when you hear the noise spray the belt with water.. Trying only to hit the belt. If the noise changes, it's the belt.. Very common with our trucks. If it is the belt you might want to change the tensioner at the same time. They have a way of tweaking and misaligning the belt causing a squeak.
FYI guy..:nodd

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
guys,

I just saw the weather report... looks like down here in CT soon with the wind chill... -35 degreeeeeeeesss...... Dang that is going to be cold on fri morning....

I am inside and just cold thinking about it.... it would really suck if I had to work in that all day....oh wait... I do....

I guess just call me chilly willy......or can I use Jeff's name the ICEMan!!! truely frozen.....

Pete :confused:

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was -5 this morning and a friend of mine was outside framing . Insane

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Was he building a house to get in out of the cold... not that nuts... just a little late in doing it........

Pete

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He was doing outside trim . They are under the gun to finish up and there isnt any inside work to do .

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
-20 here this morning. High temp of -5 today, COLDER TOMORROW. Wind chills of 30-50 below. Was going to pour concrete, but plants shut down untill it gets above 0 again.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Plow Dak said:
festerw

At -10 If yours sounds like mine, it's the serp belt. Plus the p/s pump, plus the alternator, plus the viscus fan, etc etc.. LOL

Seriously, if you want to find out if it's the belt ,get a spray bottle
with a stream option, and open the hood before you start it. Crank it up and when you hear the noise spray the belt with water.. Trying only to hit the belt. If the noise changes, it's the belt.. Very common with our trucks. If it is the belt you might want to change the tensioner at the same time. They have a way of tweaking and misaligning the belt causing a squeak.
FYI guy..:nodd
I pretty sure it's the tensioner just have to get off my butt and check it out, it shouldn't be the belt it was new in October.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just hold that tensioner with your hand while it's spinning to see if the whining disappears!:eek:

As for cold weather starting, the Mobile 1 made a noticable difference. No strain or lag in cranking and starting.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Is that like the "grab the fan while the truck is cold, to see if the clutch is working right":D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cold start

Was -2 here and the Ram fired right up unplugged(my bad), but the power steering pump howled for quite a while. I was surprised it fired so well unplugged.

Dave

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Just hold that tensioner with your hand while it's spinning to see if the whining disappears!
That was Bad Roger Dodger. :)

Is that like the "grab the fan while the truck is cold, to see if the clutch is working right"
and your just as bad festerw

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
festerw said:
Is that like the "grab the fan while the truck is cold, to see if the clutch is working right":D
no it sounds more like use a match for light so you can look into your gas filler tube to see how much you have left...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Adams Plowing said:
no it sounds more like use a match for light so you can look into your gas filler tube to see how much you have left...
that made me laugh!!

i just started my car up. (-10) more noise from that car than at an old ladies bingo game!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Got Snow? said:
that made me laugh!!

i just started my car up. (-10) more noise from that car than at an old ladies bingo game!
the sad thing though is im sure at some point somewhere some numbnut has actually tried that... lol

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
-23 this morning at 2 am. Had to go to a house fire, 6.5 was plugged in and spun over no problem, but wouldn't catch. Cranked and cranked, finally had to break down and give it just a squirt of ether to get it to fire. Just too cold.

I knew I should have left it running, but figures 2 new batteries and being plugged in would get me by. Won't do that again.

·
Registered
466 Posts
ATGREEN

I started my new truck at -10 without being plugged in,it fired right up,even my old 6.9 started without trouble,it was plugged in though.
If the 6.5 didn't want to go ,you may want to check things,glowplugs and your block heater,with it plugged in it should have started with no problem.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
It got down to -35 last winter at my house... Anything below -20 is when I really start to feel it. Even my gas car (saturn) has trouble maintaining operating temps on the downhills.

5w40 synthetic helps the diesel ALOT. but everything you touch is COLD... Luckily it doesn't snow at those temps

Howard

1 - 20 of 23 Posts