Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to snow removal and got my first plow this past spring, a Curtis Snow Pro, and it would float so easily it would leave 3"+ on the ground. Can resistance be adjusted?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
'02 Dodge Ram 1500
Did you just get the plow for this truck or purchase the truck as snow plow package? The Curtis sno pro I know of is a chain lift system. So, it always floats when the blade is rest on the ground. The only way to make it more resistant to rising is to a) change the blade’s angle of attack relative to the surface or b) add weight to the plow blade and it’s frame. It is possible that your plow’s angle of attack has changed due to wear or other damage and thus no longer positioned in such away to maximize contact with surface and builds up snow underneath the blade and it starts to rise. Option b I would not recommend since you could really alter the weight of plow in such away to make trip either not early enough or way to often not mention over stress the plow frame. I would focus on finding the manufacturer’s mounting specs for your vehicle and see if the plow is still in spec. The problem is Curtis stopped making plows for class 2-3 trucks awhile ago and I think it might be hard to find the information you need. You could try storks.com.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you just get the plow for this truck or purchase the truck as snow plow package? The Curtis sno pro I know of is a chain lift system. So, it always floats when the blade is rest on the ground. The only way to make it more resistant to rising is to a) change the blade’s angle of attack relative to the surface or b) add weight to the plow blade and it’s frame. It is possible that your plow’s angle of attack has changed due to wear or other damage and thus no longer positioned in such away to maximize contact with surface and builds up snow underneath the blade and it starts to rise. Option b I would not recommend since you could really alter the weight of plow in such away to make trip either not early enough or way to often not mention over stress the plow frame. I would focus on finding the manufacturer’s mounting specs for your vehicle and see if the plow is still in spec. The problem is Curtis stopped making plows for class 2-3 trucks awhile ago and I think it might be hard to find the information you need. You could try storks.com.
Thanks for the quick help, I appreciate it! The plow was already on the truck and was used by a company that had a small plow biz on the side.

It looks like storks.com is a maternity site...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks for the quick help, I appreciate it! The plow was already on the truck and was used by a company that had a small plow biz on the side.

It looks like storks.com is a maternity site...
www.storksplows.com. With the truck sitting level, the plow on the ground, how much of the piston is sticking out of the lift cylinder? And I have seen the lift cylinders bind up on Curtis plows.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Is the push frame at the proper height.

When the ground isn’t frozen try lifting the plow
Just a littel until the weight is transferred back to the truck.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Your plow shouldn’t raise up until you start to stack snow in a bank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1W6aKW6iZg
And that is a myth.

If Walter was really a snowplower he would know that when you run into heavy wet or “dence” snow your plow can ride up on it,

Back to the height of your plow frame, is your plow at the proper attack angle.

A heavier plow or a plow with down pressure will not experience this phenomenon as much

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
And that is a myth.

If Walter was really a snowplower he would know that when you run into heavy wet or “dence” snow your plow can ride up on it,

Back to the height of your plow frame, is your plow at the proper attack angle.

A heavier plow or a plow with down pressure will not experience this phenomenon as much
Dense Not dence... yes, you are correct that under certain conditions you might get some lifting. But, under normal conditions it should raise until you stack...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts