Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just told me he is going to unload his 8' Fisher which is mounted on a F-250 1985. Its a hydraulic outfit with the yellow triangle out front and thats all I know right now as to Model. How hard is it to adapt the Ford frame to fit a 1988 Chevy Silverado 1500 ? I am getting it for $250 so I can afford to mess around some. I won't be doing this too quickly so spring is the time frame. Whats involved? I am a pretty fair welder and fabricator right from scratch. Any comments welcome.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi drizler, Thats a great deal for a plow but 90% of it would not work on your truck. The plow for your truck should be a 7.5 ft . That 8ft fisher is a very heavy plow and would kill your truck. The only thing you could use from that set up is the pump and controls to it and you would need different brackets to mount that pump.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too Heavy?

For a 1/2 ton mine is the exception. Its been modified to drag a heavy trailer and is heavy duty all around. It sits 4" higher than normal Silverados. I routinely (carefully) carry 1 ton of crushed stone back to repair my driveway, and once had the guy screwed up and put 1.95 on there and I had to waddle down the back road with that.
If I had to I could cut down that blade I suppose it wouldn't be much trouble. I have a torch, grinders a 230 amp welder ect... My big concern is how much modification would be necessary to make the frame mount fit. I know of a great, cheap welding shop that can easily handle whatever I can't deal with. I guess my main problem is that while I have just about done it all I never had cause to pay attention to plows. About the only thing I know about them is that they are a lot nicer to use than my current 7' blade on the back of my Ferguson tractor. My neck is gettin stiff working that thing over 1000' of driveway.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The way the mounts "Hang" on a 85 ford and an 88 chevy are totaly different. The push plates stay the same though so your best bet might be to down load a copy of the parts breakdown and installation instructions for the chevy mount to get a picture of what needs to fabricated to make the mount work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankx Crash

At least its doable and for $250 the price is sure right. Also since its coming from someone I know and the reason why he is selling it cinches the deal. I am going to pick it up and figure out a way to hook it up. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Re: Too Heavy?

drizler said:
For a 1/2 ton mine is the exception. Its been modified to drag a heavy trailer and is heavy duty all around. It sits 4" higher than normal Silverados. I routinely (carefully) carry 1 ton of crushed stone back to repair my driveway, and once had the guy screwed up and put 1.95 on there and I had to waddle down the back road with that.
If I had to I could cut down that blade I suppose it wouldn't be much trouble.
Just be aware that the strain you're putting on your 1/2 ton from the plow is totally different than the strains from pulling a trailer or a load in the bed. The 7 1/2' is either a Light Duty plow and weighs 510# or Regular Duty at 630#. The 8' is a Heavy Duty and weighs 717#. Either way that's a lot of weight to be hanging off the front end. I think you may be able to switch for a LD 7 1/2' moldboard with 14 guage steel as opposed to 11 guage for the HD and help to save your ball joints, shocks etc.

By being lifted, it's putting an even greater strain and will throw off the angle of attack.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok ****

I don't plan on using this all that much anyways so it ought to be ok. My driveway is only 1000' and thats about the extent of use on a truck that doesn't get used much except to haul lumber or other occasional uses in the woods ect. With 165,000 miles the new ball joints I just put on it will probably outlast the truck living up here in the rust belt.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
drizler that old style Fisher is about 800 lbs easliy.It is a bit heavy for the 1500,But i dont think you'll have any trouble with it at all,as long as you mount it to the frame right,and run some ballast in the bed. I an running an 8'6"Western V on my 91 1500HD GMC and its the same exact front end,at 3926 GAWR,and mines an excab,even more weight.my plow weighs close to 900 lbs,with timbrens,ballast and common sense driving it hasnt given me a minutes trouble in over a yr,since i switched to the V.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What mods for the front end??

Stupid me I never asked what mods would be best / easiest / practical for the 1500 to help it out? I already got some HD Gabriel gas shocks to replace the junk that was on there ( tiny thin barrels). Thinking back on it I probably should have gotten some of those spring over shocks they offer.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
All im running is a set of timbren boosters,and decent shocks.I put 2 turns on the torsion bars as well.Thats really it.The truck is a lowrider anyway,it looks like 2wd next to the Dodge,but at least with the timbrens the front end isnt totally bottomed out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy the push plates for a gm truck. I know there is a difference in the push beam with between a chevy and a ford. I am not a gm expert, but i think I would look for some gm push plates from a 3/4 ton gm which should bolt right up to the head gear of your buddys 250. At least with the 3/4 ton gm push plats it will be much easier to adabt. The ford and GM push plats are 2 different things.

Geoff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts