Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at getting into plowing this winter and we are looking at two trucks:

One is a 2001 Ram 2500 cummins diesel with 253,000Km formerly owned by a mobile home sales company $17,000.

The other is a 2003 Ford F150 HD7700 5.4 liter gas with 73,000km in excellent condition $15,000.

Will be plowing 40 to 50 residential and several small commercial sites such as convenience stores etc.

Any thoughts on what truck we should buy?

Dennis

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Dennis Beaudet said:
We are looking at getting into plowing this winter and we are looking at two trucks:

One is a 2001 Ram 2500 cummins diesel with 253,000Km formerly owned by a mobile home sales company $17,000.

The other is a 2003 Ford F150 HD7700 5.4 liter gas with 73,000km in excellent condition $15,000.

Will be plowing 40 to 50 residential and several small commercial sites such as convenience stores etc.

Any thoughts on what truck we should buy?

Dennis
well not knowing the options that the trucks are set up it kinda makes it had to book them for prices but i would say that the dodge is the better choice although i would try and talk them down some on the price that may be a little high. asfar as the ford goes it is a f-150 and a gasser and from the sounds of it your going to have a full plate of work for the truck which would be better suited for the truck with the higher rateing and having the diesel will be more fuel efficient for you not to mention you wont have to worry about a lack of power. but thats just my thoughts on that...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Both would plow just fine. For commercial work, the Dodge would be the better choice because of the weight of the truck, diesel engine and ability to carry a larger plow. With that many km's on it, it will probably need a few things, so have a trusted mechanic go through it with a fine tooth comb.

Prices are high on both. Try to beat them down a little. If the Dodge is good shape (no rust, new tires, etc) $14K would be reasonable.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Dennis, I agree with crashz, both of those trucks are on the high side. I would probably stay away from the 1/2 ton Ford. Been down that road, never again. On another note, if I'm understanding you correctly, you plan on doing 40-50 driveways and a few small commercials with one truck? My route is about the same, all within about 5 miles, and it takes two trucks to get it done, in about 7 hours. With one truck, I'm sure it would be significantly more.
Not trying to rain on the parade, but I think you may be stretching yourself way too thin for your first year plowing.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
It will push,you cant go with a big blade,but it will do the job.For what your doing,I'd get a 3/4 ton HD if theres any way you can afford to buy a little nicer one.If you want to run a bigger plow and spreader you can easily,you just have more options.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That is a lot of KM's for the Dodge. If it was owner by a mobile home company then you can bet many of those are towing. I have a friend doing 80 homes with a 2003 F150 and he has already gone through 1 transmission. $17,000 Canadian is just under $15,000 US dollars.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Iplowed with a 2002 f150 7700 it had the plow pkg and hd payload pkg,plowed commercial and residential i had zero problems withthe truck and it plowed like a dream. i currently use a 2004 f150 8200 and have plwed it now going on 3seasons and have had no downtime at all and i use an arctic 7.5 ft ploly plow. I plow some large lots with this truck. i will be getting a 2008 model with the same options.:waving

·
Registered
152 Posts
No Problem

Here's mine with a 7.5-foot Western Pro plow.

The front end of that truck is rated at 4,150 pounds. That's a lot higher than the old F250 Heavy Duty trucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
I hate fords but in this case the ford sounds like a better deal. I would keep on looking for a better deal on a dodge or gm 3/4 ton. welcome to LTS.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What???

40 to 50 driveways AND some comercial lots with one truck ? GOOD LUCK!Hope you have a dozen illegals in the back to shovel thats what youll need and then some!!:smoking :smoking

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mike 97 SS:

Yes, it was yellow for a while because my old truck was red and I wanted the color to stick out from it, but it is now red again. Amazing the way a brush and some rust paint makes a plow look brand new again.

At one point it was going to be bright green, but I changed my mind on that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts