Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how good the cams for tire chains work? I was looking for tire chains and planned on using springs to tighten. I saw that some chains come with cams that are used for tightening. I plow on a dirt road that's in pretty bad shape and very hilly. I hope that the cams can deal with pretty rough conditions.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Cams are the better way to go. I have both cams and non-cam Chains and I prefer the cam with v-bars. I have spun softball-size rocks from the roads when using them to get higher up my logging roads: the truck didn't like it but the chains did not care.

If your application is what you consider tough or critical, don't buy off-shore made chain. I made that mistake for a couple of sets of logging truck chains and the trucks just tore them apart. The steel is inferior for the application. Like anything, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Cams are the best option, I use them on my Oshkosh and on our fire engine at work. I've never seen them for 16-17" tire though. If you find some for smaller applications, let me know.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Excellent! Good to know. They are definitely the way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts