Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
during an average snow event how many customers do you guys get that call you up and say " jeez I know you are busy but could you back blade in front of my garage door again" or "could you push that pile in the turnaround back about 3 more feet" last year I dumped my one cry baby and it seems like this year I just picked up one more. every body else is as happy as a clam. I just dont get it :huh

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
i think everyone sees customers like that atleast if your doing resi accounts... personally when that happens im glad to go back out because i know when i left the site it was up to standard so any further work they want they will be charged for another push... and i notify them of this... usually they either decide it really didnt need to be done... or they pay either way im not out anything... its one thing if there is a valid complaint i do stand behind my work i would do it at no cost... but if its just a firvolus call they pay...

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
DITTO Adam.

When I was doing driveways this heppening all the time, along with the Steady calls for "Do you know it is snowing and there is 3" of snow in my driveway"?? It is not different with lawn service, and as you add customers the averages increase, 1in10, 3in20, 4in30, and so no. That is why I am no longer doing any type of residential service.

I agree that standing behind your work is key, but when you have the same customer moaning all the time it is becomes not profitable to keep going back even when they are paying, and it dosn't look good for your business when they keep moaning to all their neighbors too.

Sound like you already know what to do if the calls keep coming in. The only thing you have to ask yourself was this a refferal customer or a cold call. Most of the time refferal customers are not moaners. Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had trouble with a customer who woud not move his vehichles. He would call me a day later and say " Would you please come back and finish." This happened a few times then I told him I would charge him for a second plowing if he didn't have his cars moved by the time I came around to clean up. I finally dropped him.
I've had trouble with a few other customers who think I have nothing better to do than sit in their driveway and wait for the snow to hit the ground. I take pride in my work and try to be timely, but some people may have unreasonable expectations. I've found the best thing to do is politley drop these accounts at the end of the season. I would rather work for customers that appreciate what I do for them.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I've been plowing driveways for 25 years, I've had my share of this type of customer. During the early years as I was building my route, I would try to accomodate the customer. It soon became clear that some customer's were trying to take advantage of me, and I began charging for the follow ups. This reduced the number of calls greatly.

After I had built my route to a comfortable level, I began to filter out the chronic complainers. Now I've come to recognize this type of customer on the initial contact and don't even accept them up front. It saves a lot of headaches.

If you provide a dependable and fair service, your customers will be loyal. Those who complain and get dropped quickly learn how many other contractors are not as dependable or fair and often call back to beg to be put back on the list. You're better off not dealing with these customers.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i have a few of those this year.since my sub guy and good friend lives near them i have him do them first so i don't have to be bothered lol lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
I take pride in the work i do and in the work that my employee's do.

If i have someone riding with me as a sidewalk person etc.. i'll sometimes have them knock on the door to get car keys so that i can plow where the car was parked and they clean off the car for them too.
If after doing that no one answers the door or does & says don't worry about it but then calls me back later to do it, you can bet that i'm charging them for the return trip & billing them travel time too.(not just a plow)

Dan

·
Registered
382 Posts
I did about 15 drives this past storm and have not had a call back:D Maybe I will when it thaws and they find there lawn looking like a fruit rollup:beatsme I got a call for another drive for tonight - it stopped snowing here on Sunday afternoon! I'm not complaining, I already miss plowing (a little) although 2 feet is a bit much for the first stom with a new truck.

plowing!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
sometimes I can identify complainers and pass on the job . Sometimes I cant . I will always go back if I didnt do the job right or even if the city plow them back in ( one time per storm) . If I pick up a complainer I will keep them for the season (as long as they are not dumping on me ) and politely drop them come spring

·
Registered
382 Posts
Well, I guess I spoke too soon. The drive I was doing last night had one of those portable basketball poles, I clipped the end of the ball return and took a 12" square chunk off the corner. Spoke to the owner and told her what happened and took $10 off the plow. She was not all that concerned, if it had been a problem I could have epoxyed it back in place. I figured I cleared about 100,000 sq. ft. this time around with only this minor mishap (just a little closer, just a little closer...) so I am happy.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts