Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it arrived today, 500 gallons of Caliber M2000. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to Magic -0 which I used the last couple of winters. Anybody else using it this winter?

Bill

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I just got 1500 gal of Caliber M1000 to use as anti-icing. We tried a load of it last year and it worked great. The M2000 is for pre-treat and stockpile usage. I'll bet it works well too.:)

·
Registered
609 Posts
well I was told by our distributor that M-1000 can be used to treat stockpiles as well as do anti-icing and recomends the 1000 over the 2000. we'll see, I am getting ready to order 500 gallons

·
Registered
131 Posts
We don't recommend Caliber M1000 for salt pre-treating. For that we usually go with Magic or Caliber M2000. M2000 is more expensive than Magic so most people just stick with Magic. I have read in a few places where people do treat with M1000, however, I believe you will see a significant amount of the product leaching from your piles. Think of this as money slowly seeping out of your pocket! Magic works much better for salt treating.

For parking lot pre-treating/deicing we use Magic and/or Caliber 1000. We like the Caliber over Magic for this application for two reasons. 1. Magic is dark brown and M1000 is clear. Even though they are both water soluable and non-staining the M1000 , being clear, is a neater application. 2. Magic can make roads somewhat slippery if applied to dry pavement at surface temperatures above 32 degrees F. If there is precipitation then that issue is greatly reduced. If surafce temps are below 32 deg. F., again, no problem.

M2000 is recommended for both salt treatments and direct surface applications. It is blue in color so there is that pesky color issue again, and it typically runs about $.15 a gallon more than Magic.

Here we are today treating 100 tons with Magic. Always takes a little longer with a new loader operator until you get a rythmn going, but then it was a breeze!

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
HerkFE-
That is a cool picture, I have never seen how you treat salt. Very interesting. Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hopefully, I will get more pics when we do some lot pre-treating etc. That 100 ton pile took us about 4 hours. We lost about an hour becuase we had to refill our tank. We used 800 gallons and our truck is set up with a 500 gallon tank. Scheduled it so the loader operator could have lunch while we refilled so there was really no lost time on their end.

Like I said you can treat salt with 2000 and it works fine. As for the colors of the liquids, it's more a tracking issue when it gets carried inside with people walking. That's why we prefer to do our direct surface liquid treatments with 1000, it is the most clear. When used as treated salt the color of Magic hasn't been an issue because it's not a liquid that is as easily tracked into buildings.

Magic, 1000, and 2000 are all non-staining, it is just an asthetic issue. The blue color of 2000 is so municipalities could see where they had put salt down. Cost is about $30 more for Caliber M2000 treatment on a 25 ton pile. Use whatever you like, I am just putting the info out there. :zoom

Pete

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hey Big Nate- that looks like quite the dinner there! Do you think your doctor would apporove of all that salt? LOL!!

Thanks for the pics and info guys- I am still quite small, but next year we might be tackling some larger projects and might need to get into smoe of this so anything I can learn now will help in the future. Thanks again!!

Bill

·
Registered
75 Posts
pricing??

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but I can't find anywhere better to put it.
I'm considering trying to convince "Bossman" that he would be interested in using a pre-treatment system for his apartment/light retail complex.
If someone in NY could supply me with a rough price for either Magic or Caliber M1000 (reading the above posts, those would seem to be the best for the application), that would be great. I'm not looking for a huge broken-down list of where I can get what for how much -- just an average price. I'm in Saratoga (appx. 35 miles north of Albany) if that makes a difference (which it probably does).

Thank you in advance,
aleksei

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hey Nate,
How much Caliber M1000 are you buying at a time?
I buy it 1500 gal at a time and get a way better price. But I am 90 miles from the plant that makes it.:cash

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
OK. That explains it. :p

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got to use the Caliber today, so far I'm impressed, it does a better job of sticking to and coating the salt. Temps were around 20 today and it did a excellent job, my accounts were mostly black. a lot of guys were laying down a LOT of salt without good results.

Bill

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now I have a complaint! I have an account ( you know, I'll call when I think I need you) that I treated with Caliber 2000 treated salt after we plowed. the next storm we plowed, but because we salt (always treated) only when called we didn't salt. Temps were in the mid 20's and I was waiting for the come salt call. Here's the problem I drove by his lot it was as bare as if it was salted that morning! The residue effect has now got me recalculating the amount of product we spread in consecutive events. Anybody got a formula for consecutive events treatment?

Bill

·
Registered
131 Posts
LOL!!! The complaint is that the residual works!?

No formula, we like it to work. Makes plowing easier and prevents re-freeze icing, etc.! Are you cutting back you salt usage? Maybe 1/2 or less of what you would use for untreated salt. I guess that's about it. Hope it dilutes more for you... LOL!! (I hope you were kind of kidding about this being a complaint. If not, my apologies now.)

Pete :usa

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm using about the same as when I was treating with Magic, but about half or less then my competitors are using trying to keep up!

Bill

·
Registered
620 Posts
Aleksei, we are in Clifton Park, NY we get our MAGic liquid in Poughkeepsie, pick it up in 55 gal drums. Pay around $2 per gallon in our own drums. Might be willing to sell you some......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts