Snowplow Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to have the axle weight specs on about a '78 or so Chevy C70?

I am looking at a really cheap fixer-upper, initially for the 18-20' aluminum box on the back, but also the guy has offered me a dumping flatbed to go with it so I was looking at the potential of the truck itself.

Its either a 366 or 427 gasser, five speed manual with 2 speed rear end... comes with the cube already mentioned (insulated, roll up door) and a Tommy Lift tailgate. Needs rockers and a paint job for sure... probably brakes etc. too as the truck has not been licensed in a whopping 8 years. Not siezed up or anything.

Price has yet to be determined, but likely in the $500-1000 range.

Dump bed is mounted on an early '70s Ford of similar size, also big block powered, and comes with it.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Axle ratings could be all over the map on that truck. Depending on how they were optioned out it could be less than 26K GVW or as high as 39K. Best hard numbers I have are for the 68-72 GMC 6500 and they go from 7 to 11,000lbs for the front axle and from 17 to 23,000 for the rear. At the same time the maximum GVW for the chassis topped out at 32,000. So even though, theoretically you could have spec'd axles worth 40K under it the frame was only good for 32.

There was a 6,500 lb jump between 5500 and 6500 models, so probably 7,000 more for moving up to the next size.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I'm wondering if the bigger weights were used on tandem axle trucks? Or if they are even offered on a 70 series...?

This particular truck is a single axle.

The Ford dumping flatbed was a delivery truck from our local lumber yard.... interesting piece of local history I guess. On the doors you could still make out the logo, and GVW 26,000. This truck is swiss cheese, though the bed looked really good.

I wonder if the PTO unit on the Ford would swap to the Chevy tranny? Any idea what these trannys would be?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Where do I start. I just happen to have the 1977, 1978 and 1980 Chevy Medium sales brochures in front of me. '77 and '78 C65's were available with rear axles from 17,000 - 22,000 lbs in single speed and up to 23,000 in a two speed. 1980 C70's were available in single or two speed in 17,000 -22,000 lbs gross axle weight. I don't have the 1979 brochure so I cant tell for sure which but either 1979 or 1980 was the first year for a C70. Chevy built 70 series trucks from 1966 on but not as part of the C-series (using the same cabs as the pickups of their time). Tandems of the era used tandem sets rated from 34,000 to 38,000 pounds.

As far as transmissions go you could get almost anything from the same SM465 (muncie truck tranny) used in pickups to Allison autos, 5-spds by Clark, New Process and Spicer, and 10 and 13 speed Roadrangers. In a tandem you could even get a 4-spd spicer auxiliary (great for those farm trucks).

As far as PTO outputs are concerned; they are all configured to an SAE standard configuration so interchangeability should be a non-issue.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wfd44 said:
Where do I start. I just happen to have the 1977, 1978 and 1980 Chevy Medium sales brochures in front of me. '77 and '78 C65's were available with rear axles from 17,000 - 22,000 lbs in single speed and up to 23,000 in a two speed. 1980 C70's were available in single or two speed in 17,000 -22,000 lbs gross axle weight. I don't have the 1979 brochure so I cant tell for sure which but either 1979 or 1980 was the first year for a C70. Chevy built 70 series trucks from 1966 on but not as part of the C-series (using the same cabs as the pickups of their time). Tandems of the era used tandem sets rated from 34,000 to 38,000 pounds.

As far as transmissions go you could get almost anything from the same SM465 (muncie truck tranny) used in pickups to Allison autos, 5-spds by Clark, New Process and Spicer, and 10 and 13 speed Roadrangers. In a tandem you could even get a 4-spd spicer auxiliary (great for those farm trucks).

As far as PTO outputs are concerned; they are all configured to an SAE standard configuration so interchangeability should be a non-issue.

Ahhhh this is good stuff guys! The truck very definately said C70 on the front fenders. He didnt know the year of the truck, but it definately had the 70's style door panels on the inside and the emblems were filled in with yellow, just like my '78. It has the five speed tranny (now that you mention it I do recall reading once that they were a Clark tranny) and two-speed, single axle.

Is it possible to see a scan of the 1980 brochure?

Thx guys...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Derek: Sure it is possible to scan the 1980 medium brochure. Any particular part of it your interested in? I can scan just the spec page and post it here or pm me with your e-mail and I will scan the whole thing and send it to you direct.

Probably wont happen until Sunday afternoon though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting. I'm wondering if the bigger weights were used on tandem axle trucks? Or if they are even offered on a 70 series...?

This particular truck is a single axle.

The Ford dumping flatbed was a delivery truck from our local lumber yard.... interesting piece of local history I guess. On the doors you could still make out the logo, and GVW 26,000. This truck is swiss cheese, though the bed looked really good.

I wonder if the PTO unit on the Ford would swap to the Chevy tranny? Any idea what these trannys would be?
Do these trucks require a cdl?

·
Super Moderator
804 Posts
This thread is 15 yes old.

If you wish to start a CDL thread you are welcome to do so.

I’m going to close this one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.