Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Western/Fisher (samething) Pro-Flo/Speedcaster single stage spreader. I think there is a problem my my variable speed controler. I have power to it, but the lights won't light up and the speader will not operate. Does anyone know if I can bypass the controller until I get to the shop and just use a on/off toggle switch?

·
Registered
49 Posts
With direct power on it would run at full speed.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
You can but i think you better get a selonoid otherwise you might burn a switch up. Those controllers can be refurbished too. John "Garagekeeper" can give you the details on that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes you can. We had to do the same thing.

You can but i think you better get a selonoid otherwise you might burn a switch up
Snowjoker is correct.
Ether get a switch atleast 1.25 larger then the max current of the motor. Or use a solenoid. Or better yet use a relay, they last longer.

These are 70 amp relay

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Sounds like the controller is bad.You can use a Ford starter relay to activate it,so you don't need a big switch.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have verified my controller is bad. What I would like to do is just unhook the main wires that go into the controller and just use a toggle switch to create a loop type circuit. The power is protected by fuses. Do you think this will work? I have touched the wires together and the spreader works. I just don't know if I will harm something by putting a toggle switch in, until I can get a new controller.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
A switch will work,just make sure it's rated to carry that kind of current.Startup current is near 30 amps,and around 20 amps when running.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris,

I have a 20 amp switch in my hand, do you think that will work? I know I 30 or the controller would be better, but do you think I could get by?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
It should do,for a temporary fix,until you get a new controller.Just keep an eye on it,and make sure it doesn't get to hot.If it's getting hot,then it's probably not going to last long,and it will rob needed current from the spreader motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts