Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this spreader for 75 bucks. Wiring and controller included, just needs a motor. Is this a pretty good deal? What about spreading bulk through it? I have acess to bulk but will also be buying bagged. And hopefully treating the salt with magic.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Sounds like a decent deal, but the motor will probably be around $150-$200. It will spread bagged fine, but I wouldn't think it would work well at all with bulk. A vibrator kit might help, but I would think you would need a 2-stage unit for bulk salt. :confused:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I believe that is a single stage unit, and that means it is made to spread dry, bagged material. Those units retail for around $600.00 I believe, so that sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
666 Posts
BRL said:
I believe that is a single stage unit, and that means it is made to spread dry, bagged material. Those units retail for around $600.00 I believe, so that sounds like a good deal.

I wish I could find a single stage hitch spreade for $600. I was looking at snowex, western, fisher, and yes even a myers and nothing around me for under $1,300.

Still LQQking,
Ray

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ray- Check out Northern Tool. They have the Buyers Swing-gate spreader (like OhioSnow has) listed for $899. Holds 600#or 9 cu.ft.

Buyers Spreader at Northern Tool

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ray look on ebay under salter and salt spreader you might find something there BRL yes it is a single stage. I am going to try the bulk but only a little at a time insead of filling the hopper and being screwed. I will keep ya posted after the trial run

·
Registered
666 Posts
John,
Thanks for the link. I need a hitch mount one and all the ones they show for buyers are tailgate ones. Is buyers good never heard much about them. With shipping to me it brings it up to around $1,300

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Ray are you gonna just do dry bagged stuff?Why not get a 2 stage or ar you trying to keep the cost down? the speed caster II is not to bad and will spread both and has an under mount hitch.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The 2 reasons I want to keep cost down. Main reason hoping to be able to keep my hard tonou cover on the truck. Thats why I am looking at a hitch type. I don't plan on salting too much. Our area the weather warms up so quick after a snowfall not much salting needed. I only have one contract requiring salt. Might get one more with the same specs. So I don't need a big thing.

Ray

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
There's a vibrator kit or two for sale in the forum here. The Karrier vibrators appear to be identical to the ones that SnowEx gets right up around $400 for as an option for their spreaders.

Bulk material may or may not flow through a single stage unit. Treated salt most likely will not. With a vibrator they will both feed although the treated will still feed slower.

When I'm spreading treated salt through my single stage SnowEx and need to shut off the flow while I'm maneuvering I just shut off the vibrator. That's faster than turning off the variable speed control and waiting for it to restart every time.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I just spoke with my local Fisher dealer and he gave me a price of 1450 installed for a spreader model 1000 with a hich and varible speed control. He can in stall on the week of the 24th. I think it sounds good. What about you guys?

Ray

1 - 13 of 13 Posts