Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased (it's shipping now) a Buyers "SUV" spreader with the in-cab flow control feature. Does anybody have this unit? Does Morton Solar Salt work well in this unit? For that matter does rock salt work? I don't want to spend a plow night in the back of the truck kicking the hopper. Cost and driveway application was the reason I purchased this unit. Thanks:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not sure if its the same one. I know a fellow that just baought one.
He got it at canadian tire... they had them on sale...It holds 300 pounds of salt I believe. HE hasnt tried it yet, but did commment it seemed good for small applications....His doesnt have any speed control. Just one setting...

:canada

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks pro property, I was going to get the one your friend got but I finally decided on the flo-conrtol unit. Basically the same unit except different motor/housing and can through out 30' rather than 10'. I got mine through Northern Tool for $600 and was able to do monthly payments of $100. Let me know when your friend uses for the first time to see how it worked. Thanks again
:D

·
AKA "Iceman"
821 Posts
Just a quick question.... Isn't the solar salt more expesive that say Halite or another bagged salt brand.

I know we used to use it for our water softeners at my former employer, and it was more $$$$ than other bagged salt.

We did use it on the rare occassion were we ran out of the other stuff. It has much larger granules.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just finished pricing the bagged salt locally. For $3.88 I can get 40lbs of the solar salt. For $5.00 I can get 50lbs of rock salt. I want to do a mix of salt and sand bagged sand is going for $2.50 for 50 lbs. To fill my 300# hopper with 50/50 mix would cost about $23.00!I am not even sure how long that would last based on a specific feed rate. I can also pick up per-mixed 50/50 bulk salt/sand mix for $30 per ton. My concern is it turning rock hard and becoming useless. Any suggestions on keeping it in good shape. It might be worth getting the bulk and hoping it lasts a few storms, I could keep the bagged stuff in the back as back-up/ballast. Thanks all

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I believe the spreader you are talking about is a single stage unit. Unless the sand stays perfectly dry, you will probably have a hard time getting mix to work. Definitely don't use the pre mixed bulk. Solar salt is usually more expensive than rock salt, and I believe not as effective as rock salt for deicing. Surprised to see you post you can get the solar a penny\pound cheaper. I'd rather spend the extra 50 cents per bag to use the correct material for the application.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any idea on spread rate? I will start with using the bagged rock salt. It will cost me $30 per load, I just don't want to dump it in 2 mins.payup

·
Registered
132 Posts
I went through all this on #$%$#@ site... It seems too range alot... I guese it depends on the conditions.....I took an average of what people told me.. about 12 to 15 pounds of rock salt per 1000 sqfeet.....which is 540 pounds too 675 pounds of salt per acre....I hope this helps... I just got mine this year too. I havent actually had a chance too try it yet.

:canada :burnout

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, at a rate of 15lbs/1000sq.ft. that will give me about 2000 liniar feet of driveway. That will give me about 40 standard driveways. That works for me! pimp Thanks all

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have a buyers salter. I have the larger one. (600lbs) We use solar salt to apply. I tried using hailte or another product call kiln dried, but both were too fine. As soon as I shut the spreader off, the rest would still come out. I use solar salt from Agway. It's smaller than the pellet salt and larger than hailte. My cost is 5.00 per 50lb bag. I can do an average 10-15 car lot with about 3-4 bags. But I wouldn't run sand through it. Not with a single stage. 2 stage... sure no prob. Like others have said, sand will get nasty with even the slightest moisture.

·
Registered
132 Posts
hey Plower737
you said average 10 to 15 .. is that 10 to 15 lots or one 10 to 15 space lot... per 3 to 5 bags....
thanks
mike:canada :burnout

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'd say 10-15 car parking lot. on average. Of course I have some with more and some with less. You know though, now that I think of it, I never really sat down and said, OK X lot takes how many bags? I just fill the spreader up and salt the place till I think its got enough. Which is better cause then the customer will be happy. But I averaged about a ton per run last year so I think everyone was getting the same amount everytime.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My son and I installed the spreader last saturday. I had a bag of rock salt left over from last year so I through it in. On slowest speed it still seemed to be too fast and was throwing salt out I would guess 15 feet. I was loosing salt after shut down, I guess I will load on site and run until done. It seems to me that it could run sand I think I will go to my supplier and have him load it up and see how it does. The one thing I did not like was how low the motor was to the groud. I will need to build some sort of steel cage to protect it. Thanks:D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yea woofs, rock salt maybe too fine to leave in after your done. I had that problem. Thats why I chose solar salt. Its a little bigger so when I'm done salting a lot, I shut it off and no more comes out. And what are you hooking the spreader to? (vehicle) I had to make mounts for mine because of the weight of salt and bouncing on bumps wore out the reciever part of the spreader. The way it is now, I can back up to a curb and not worry about the motor getting hit.

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
the lst was the new way.. here is the old way...

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plower737 - The design has changed and now it goes right into the 2" receiver. The part I dont like is it just hangs there, I can see it bouncing and putting alot of strain on the hitch with 300# of salt in it. I have a home-made hitch that I rigged to the bumber. We welded some support bracing with flat bar and angle and it seems pretty stiff now. I would like to see some kind of support up high. I do like the fact that if you pull the pin on the spreader it folds right down to the ground so you can access the bed. As soon as I get a new digital camera I will be posting some pictures. Ever try the salt/sand mix? Thanks:)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Check the installation instructions. The ones I've seen for that style of install said to put some ratchet straps from the top to the bed somewhere to help keep them from bouncing around too much.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have the old style that goes into the reciever hitch. But like I said with the weight and bouncing after a couple of storms, or years, it'll wear out quickly. you say you have a home made hitch? What kind of vehicle are you using? I'd be carefull too if it's "rigged" to the bumper. 300lbs doesn't sound like much but after a short perioid of time that could start pulling on the bumper. I have never run anything else other that solar salt or sidewalk salt through my spreader. I'm not into experimenting and trying to make stuff work that really shouldn't. If the manufactuer says you should run bagged salt in that machine, then thats what you should use. The only way I can see you saving money on using less expensive products or bulk products is either getting a 2 stage tailgate spreader or a v- box for a pickup.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heres the Buyers set-up. I ended up adding a support at the top.
Also ran a sand test......FAILED! Got some some wet sand and loaded the hopper. The sand would not flow, needs vibrator. Had to try!:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts