Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished fabricating my snow deflector today. Thanks for all the feedback to my question from the fisher discussion thread. I got a good deal on ½ inch thick, 12 inches wide conveyor belt rubber. I cut the width down to 10 inches and mounded it with 1-inch bar stock on top with stainless steel fasteners. I think it came out well. I have about 18 ft of belting left in anyone needs some. (I live in Maine). Thanks again and here is a picture. the plow is an 8ft fisher hd on a 2001 ford f350.

Attachments

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Most stone quarries or gravel banks have rolls of old used up conveyor belts free for the asking. They replace them because the center is worn, the edges are pretty much full thickness and are plenty wide to serve as a deflector.

I actually used a piece to make a full width debris flap on the back of my truck that carried my old V box, I just turned the worn side towards the truck where you can't see it.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
A friend got one from the junk yard that he owns real thick and it's been working well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BWinkel
i got the belting at portland rubber company. i got a roll 1/2 inch thick, 12 inches wide and 26 ft long for $25. the guy there said it is hit or miss. this roll was laying around and they wanted to get ride of it. he said if i was there last week they had a bunch in the dumster i could have had. still i am happy. if you need some let me know i live in new gloucester.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks good mainebob. I'm glad the Portland Rubber Co. tip panned out for you. Don't worry about the angle of the flap right now, it will droop with a little use and time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
mainebob said:
BWinkel
i got the belting at portland rubber company. i got a roll 1/2 inch thick, 12 inches wide and 26 ft long for $25. the guy there said it is hit or miss. this roll was laying around and they wanted to get ride of it. he said if i was there last week they had a bunch in the dumster i could have had. still i am happy. if you need some let me know i live in new gloucester.
Bob:

Can you hook me up with any particular person to call? I'm right it Westbrook.

Thanks-
Henri

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hbrandy. i just went in the sales door and talked with the guy at the desk. i still have about 18ft of the 1/2inch by 12 inch belting. if you want some we could split the $25 i spent and you can have what you need. i work in south portland, so i could meet you and drop it off.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Yeah If it was my plow I would have used angle iron so that the rubber would hang vertical instead of horizontal. I think your way will still work, but with light fluffy snow, I think you may have some blow over.
Dino

·
Registered
6,272 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
looks good but i think you need more angle downwards

john

·
Registered
345 Posts
Here's a pic of the deflector I just made up. It's made of two 4 foot pieces of rubber from a towing sling off of a tow truck. I got it for free from my mechanic who services tow trucks. Total cost was $35 for install parts and about an hour to install. I even got to try it out today and I'am quite happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Got mine all mounted this weekend. The welder angled the steel up slightly so the deflector is also pointed up a bit. I figured it would drop so no big deal. Only problem now is that when I raise the plow my lights are completely blocked :headwall Now I need to install some type of spacer under the lights to get them up higher !

·
Registered
668 Posts
Looks good mainebob, I'm not sure about the angle, but if it's as excited about going out in the snow like some of the guys on this site it will probably never droop.:)
Let us know if you still get drift over the top when you plow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You Could Angle That Rubber Easily Enough

For a few bucks worth of scrap steel strapping you could make that rubber bend to get the rounded shape you need. 1/8" or 3/16" x 1 -4" strapping can be bent easily enough with a bit of torch heat and wrapped or hammered around a rounded object so it has a gentle curve. I can't say for sure how many pieces or how far apart they would have to be placed but it couldn't cost more than a few $$$.
If you don't already know the secret stay away from the hardware store and get your steel at the local steel fabrication mill ( preferably from the scrap pile) or at the local salvage yard for even less, ( you do the digging). It wouldn't be much effort to shape that deflector into any rough shape you want.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts