Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 4th season plowing with my 2000 SD and the 1st season with my new BTS Tranny. All I can say is HOLLY COW!!!!!:rockon Why did I wait so long!!!!

This thing is night and day compared to the stock 4R100!!! There used to be a 2 sec. or so delay when shifting between D and R and then, after 4 or 5 hrs of plowing, all kinds of funny noises would start :rolleyes: There would be a loud "click" when shifting and so on.

I plowed 12 hrs Fri and 13 hrs. Sat. and this thing is awsome. When you go from D to R, it is in gear immediatly:grinz No noises after 12+ hrs of constant plowing. Put it this way, with the stock tranny, when you go from P to D, you wouldn't even know it was in gear until you take your foot off the brake. No change in RPM, no feeling of being "in gear". And this is with a modified diesel. Put in gear now, and the truck "lunges" forward:grinz

I got the tranny because my truck has slightly more HP than stock:burnout but it would be well worth it if all you did was plow!!!

If you are a "gear head", it's well worth the drive to Arkansas to have Brian do it himself(that's what I did) Brians a great guy and explains everything he does and you can be right there and watch him:D Or he can send you one out for you to install(or have installed)

My truck at Brians shop

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
How much does one of those BTS trannies go for? Truck looks awesome Greg.
Eric

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
90plow said:
How much does one of those BTS trannies go for? Truck looks awesome Greg.
Eric
Thanks Eric:D

It really depends on how many miles are on the stock one. If it's under 30K mi, and in good shape, All Brian has to do is update some parts and do his magic and it will cost around $2000-2500. Anything over that, it's around $3400. But, when you take into consideration a new Reman stocker from Ford is around $2700, it's a No Brainer:eek:

The great thing is it has a 2 year Unlimited Milage/Horespower/Application Guarantee. But I can tell you this, if it EVER were to break, Brian would fix it!!

But Eric, unfortunatly, he only does Ford 4R100 and E40D trannys!;) :grinz

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks Greg and I was asking because I'm thinking about getting a Ford Diesel sometime soon maybe a 350 reg cab 4x4 and of course diesel. :burnout maybe some extra add-ons as well.
Eric

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool Eric,

When I was down there, Brian had a couple of the new 5R110 Torqueshifts he was looking at to see how to make them better also. I don't know if he is going to do anything with them yet, but probably:D

Good luck on finding a new truck and let me know if you need any help with any "goodies" :burnout

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dockboy,I got a BTS tranny last year for my 550. Like you said what an awsome trans.I started to have a problem with it this summer i called brian and he sent me a brand new one NO CHARGE!! even put all the new updates in it including a new lower reverse gear. the lower reverse gear is new this is only the 2nd one he has did it with .Going to get one for my 350 as ASAP. Some time i whould like to talk to you about your K.L.injectors. I have been thinking of getting some for a time but you cant bring it up over at thedieslestop with out geting flamed.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Greg, truck looks good. :shades What happened to the original transmission that made you upgrade? Or did you just upgrade before something happened? :D Glad to hear its working out well for you. Mike :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mike:D

Nothing really happened to the stock tranny, I was just extremely overpowering it!!:grinz

I had put a Transgo shift kit in it at 20k mi. and had tried several different aftermarket torque converters over the past couple years. None of them could hold the power:burnout When I would put the throttle down with the last TC I had in, the truck would literally shake has it was blowing through the converter and making it slip when it was supposed to be locked:eek: Now when the TC locks, you better have the truck pointed in the right direction!!!:smokin

Besides the truck had 100k mi on it at the time and I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tru Cut said:
Dockboy,I got a BTS tranny last year for my 550. Like you said what an awsome trans.I started to have a problem with it this summer i called brian and he sent me a brand new one NO CHARGE!! even put all the new updates in it including a new lower reverse gear. the lower reverse gear is new this is only the 2nd one he has did it with .Going to get one for my 350 as ASAP. Some time i whould like to talk to you about your K.L.injectors. I have been thinking of getting some for a time but you cant bring it up over at thedieslestop with out geting flamed.
Tru Cut,

Cool! pimp

When did Brian send you out the new tranny?? Brian did my tranny at the shop on Aug. 25. How is the lower reverse gear??

PM me with any questions about K.L. We can exchange numbers and talk about it on the phone. The guys that have it out for him over at TDS crack me up:rolleyes: Most of them have never even had any contact with him yet they act like he stole their first born son:headwall I have been testing injectors for him for a little over two and a half years, but they try to tell ME how it really is:scramble Cracks me up!! That's why I stay out of it anymore any time his name is brought up;)

What's your name over there??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dockboy,
I just got the 2nd trans at the end of nov. the lower reverse is great . No where near as hard on the trans. Most of the time in the winter I run with a full load of sand truck weights in at around 18000-18500so it realy helps if you have to back up hill.Temp has'nt gone over 205 .I put in the newer style rad. in because the early 99 did'nt have the cooler in the bottom of the rad. I will PM you so we can talk about injectors. I did sing a NDA with kim quite some time ago. I go by AX at Dieselstop dont post much just read.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I don't know how I missed this thread. My tranny took a crap last week at 31,000. I was interested in having Brian's tranny put in, but the dealer wouldn't work with me. If it gives me trouble again out of warranty, I'll be heading south for sure.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve,

If they put a new reman in, now would be the time to get one from Brian!!! It will be ALLOT less!!

If you would like, PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call:D I'll be up for another hour or so.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Greg, I can relate to how you feel plowing with your new transmission. Although not a BTS,my DTT setup[ is very similar.You really dont need to step on throttle,just put it in gear,and the torque convertor will push the truck fairly well. I have heard nothing but god things about BTS,and knowing you ,you got the best:D ,congrats with it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had an 89 F350 with an E40D that went bad on me. At the time I was working for a fire apparatus mfg. and had the allison tranny tech in all the time for the big truck. I asked him who was the best in CT. to rebuild a E40D. He sent me to a guy in southbury CT. called Trans Tech. He gutted and up dated the entire tranny. He even want as far as replacing the wiring harnesses and all sensors that controled the trannys operation. It cost me $1800,00 at the time in 95. I put a plow on it in 96 he had me add a 30,000lbs tranny cooler to it never had a problem. The truck is still plowing today now a friend of mine owns it. I have sent numerous people to him and have had the same results.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Brians Truck Shop

Hey all you Ford Guys.

My son just handed me the January, 04
issue of Petersen's 4 Wheel & off-road

There is an artical in it about Brian's Shop
and his upgrades for the Ford E40D and the 4R100 trannys.

Sounds like good things for you Ford guys

Tileman

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts