Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new 8.6 V. Installed it myself, was working fine until about 30 hours into last weekend's storm. The motor stopped working. I was getting nothing from the plow. I could hear clicking under the hood whenever I pressed the buttons on the fish stick, but no movement on the plow. I thoght for sure something was loose in front, ground, soleniod, battery, any wires. All checked out.

I went to move the truck, with the blade still on the ground, towards a snow bank to lift up the blade. It started working again. Used it for about an hour and it stopped again. This went on for about two hours when finnally it just stopped.

Sorry for the long post.

I brought it to the dealer, they called me and said that it needed a motor. They were out of motors. Finnaly got the motors in today, but can't install it for me. No big deal, I will do it myself. But guess what, the plow is working today when I hooked it up. Is it the motor? Have you guys seen this before? Should I change the soleniod first? Should I just install the new motor, which kills me because the plow is BRAND NEW. I will only get credit if the motor is bad. Plus a storm is rolling in here on Sunday.

Little venting going on here.....:headwall

·
Registered
905 Posts
Check the connections at the motor,I know you've done it once but do it again,pop the plastic box caps off the motor,check all those connections,sounds like a loose wire or bad ground more than a bad motor,i know thats not what you want to hear but alot of the time it's something simple and right in front of you.
Check the connections at the Isolation module and both inline ground connectors(one near the module and another near the relay)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Most of the time when my V starts acting funney its the 12 pin conector.make sure you put some dielectric grease in the conector. Not to much though. when it starts to act up I just get out unplug then plug back in and that usally takes care of it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The 12 pin connector is usually the problem, I've had ice form on it during a long plowing session, and suddenly the plow will start acting funny. I use lots of diaelctric grease, and installed a 4" bungee cord on the lead with tie warps and hook it to my grill to keep the p[lug tight. Also the 3 pin connector, the small terminal can sometimes lose it's connection, again keep it well greased.
Bill

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've seen tons of connector problems with the old "hollow pin" plugs but not the new solid pin plugs(that's not to say it's not possible)
Bill,aren't you still running the "old" Fisher V with new wings,you still have the hollow pins,correct?

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
We had a similar problem last year. We needed to replace the leads from the grill to plow pump. Also check your grounds to the battery and to the plow pump. Like was mentioned 99% of electical issues are ground related.
Dino

·
Registered
146 Posts
MOTOR PROBLEM

IF YOU THINK IT IS A CONTROL PROBLEM YOU CAN RUN A WIRE FROM THE + POST ON MOTER UP WERE YOU CAN SEE WIRE! PUT 12 VOLT LIGHT BULB AT THIS POINT & GROUND! LIGHT WILL WORK ON MOTOR CONTACT! RUN CONTROLS TO RUN MOTOR IF LIGHT COMES ON AND MOTOR WILL NOT RUN! BAD MOTOR! IF LIGHT & MOTOR DO NOT RUN! BAD CONTROLS! HOPE THIS HELPS!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Arc Burn

Mine are the old hollow pins, haven't had many problems after I installed the bungee cord, usually I insert them and pull them off a couple of times when hooking up, and then attach the cord. Usually though if it's the 12 pin the motor will run but the wings will do funny things or certain functions won't work.

Bill

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem solved!

It was the motor. I was getting power to it, but nothing was happening. Put a new motor on it and is working fine :D . Now I hope Fisher will honor the warranty.

Thanks for all of your help.

Chuck

·
Registered
719 Posts
One thing I have found with Fisher, they stand behind their product, and besides since it was the motor, that's pretty cut 'n dried

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts