Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i got a brake question. I brought my truck in the GM dealer in October and i got them to look at the brakes. Here is what i got left.
Front 6/32 back 3/32 this was oct 1st and i drive 400KM a week and its a 3/4 ton GMC 96 truck.

Do i need brakes soon ? What size are they when they are new ? Is it safe to plow with these brake's ?

Dave.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Yes,3/32nds isn't very much.While it is just barely legal per DOT specs,I would change them now,before they do damage to the rotors\drums.

·
Registered
71 Posts
chevy e brake

guys

a coworker just bought a 1987 ? chevy not sure ifs its 1500 or 2500, he immediately got the e brake stuck on. i described to him the typical star adjuster and how to release it so he could get the drum off (or at least move the vehicle) but he said his wasn't as described.

any input on releasing a stuck e brake

thanks

Dean

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
All GM trucks use the star wheel type adjusters.Maybe it's siezed,or he's not doing it right ? You need a little hook to push back the arm,and allow the star wheel to turn to back off the adjustment.

You can wiggle and yank on the cable jackets to see if it will free up.If you can't get the cable free,then you may have to cut off the offending cable right where it goes it the backing plate,to get the drum free.

·
Registered
71 Posts
thanks Chris

he must have been doing it wrong !!! I showed him a pic from howstuffworks.com it seems straight forward I'll relay the info to him hopefully he can get it.

I dont know GM but I figured they use a similar star adj as Ford etc.

thanks

Dean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts