Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last wensday I had finnally had enough of old computer, so I bought one saturday and picked it up yesterday, had issues and couldn't really get online. Anyway thats taken care of but now I can't seem to import my favorites or check my mail which is over 110.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
In Vista if I click start, then my name at the top right, I'll get folders, one of which is called "favorites". I could stick a usb thumb drive in the computer and drag the folder onto the thumbdrive and take my favorites anywhere.

Not sure in xp, try clicking start, then search. Enter "favorites" (without the quotation marks) and search your desktop or computer. Should reveal the favorites folder which can be copied anyway you like and moved to the new computer's "favorites" folder (see above to find the folder to put it in, in Vista).

Your mail, you need to navigate to your provider and log in with password.

Hope one of these ideas helps.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Dave

Are you going from XP to Vista?

Just curious my Gateway here is about had it was checking out some at bestbuys and the guy said there much easy to use with Vista now iam a little leary since three years ago i tryed a Vista pc and couldnt make anything work right .

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fred yes I am going from xp to vista which like you I was leary of, but not many options. I also have a gateway. So far I am liking this computer much better than old one. Just wish i'd have put thought into this before I ripped old computer out and trew it in a pile. But after trying for more than an hour to get connected :damputer Now I am just wishing I had done it earier with forthought.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Dave

Are you going from XP to Vista?

Just curious my Gateway here is about had it was checking out some at bestbuys and the guy said there much easy to use with Vista now iam a little leary since three years ago i tried a Vista pc and couldn't make anything work right .
Fred, Vista is great ( when it works ) LOL. I really like it compared to xp, but I have crashed numerous times, and blue screened as well. Vista seems to act up every time they do major updates. Crash a few times for a couple days, then it seems fine afterwords. I would not recommend a gateway to anyone If they are still using them intel celereon processors. I had a gateway and it did not last very long before needing a hard drive, then a few months later it needed a mother board. My computer guy at the time built me a really fast computer with the AMD processor. Since then it now needs either a hard drive or mother board again, but after many years of great service. I since replaced it with a Compaq from Walmart, which i specifically looked for a computer with another AMD processor in it. I have had excellent luck with the AMD processors.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
i just did a f disk and reinstall on my XP If you can't find your favs let me know and you can call me or what ever . i have written locations down for fav in IE, mozilla, e.mail, as well as saving the e-mail folders and addresses.

As far as putting them in vista. No idea. Don't want to know. I don't like vista

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I feel your pain. Now in day 6 of my rebuild the network saga, malto expensive and more than mildly frustrating.

If you still have the old PC go to Best Buy or equivalent and buy the Easy PC Transfer cable and software. Should be about $20. Install the software on both machines, connect the cable, drink a beer, and you are done.

If the old PC is dead, or if you are migrating to another XP machine, then you must do it the hard way - manually, via USB thumb drive, portable hard drive, or across a network. I have moved about 300GB of files this way in the past few days.

For those who pay attention to such things, let me also suggest I-Drive, an InterNet based backup solution.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Here's a little jewel that one of my companies computer guys found. This thing is fantastic if you have a dead computer you can pull out the hard drive, connect this and the power source and transfer whatever files you need off the old hard drive onto something else, I've got one on my truck and I have used it twice to move files that I needed off of dead computers onto the replacements.

http://www.usb-ware.com/granite-8240-usb-2-ide-sata-adapter.htm

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Here's a little jewel that one of my companies computer guys found. This thing is fantastic if you have a dead computer you can pull out the hard drive, connect this and the power source and transfer whatever files you need off the old hard drive onto something else, I've got one on my truck and I have used it twice to move files that I needed off of dead computers onto the replacements.

http://www.usb-ware.com/granite-8240-usb-2-ide-sata-adapter.htm
If you are not afraid to pull hard drives (hd's), take the one out of the old computer and install it in the new. Don't try to boot from it, just access the files you want (my documents) and move them.

Or, use an external usb hd (bought one today for $69 at walmart, 250 GB) to put the files on (copy or drag) - after you fire up the old computer - and then plug it into the new and copy or drag them off. When done you can use the usb hard drive for backup storage of documents on the new computer. You need backup, hd's fail eventually.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you are not afraid to pull hard drives (hd's), take the one out of the old computer and install it in the new. Don't try to boot from it, just access the files you want (my documents) and move them.

Or, use an external usb hd (bought one today for $69 at walmart, 250 GB) to put the files on (copy or drag) - after you fire up the old computer - and then plug it into the new and copy or drag them off. When done you can use the usb hard drive for backup storage of documents on the new computer. You need backup, hd's fail eventually.
That's why we got this, with this there's no need to power up the old computer, all you have to do is connect to your usb port on a computer(my laptop) then hook the other end to the hard drive you want info off off, if it's a big hard drive then there's a power source that comes with the adapter so you can power up the hard drive even if it's been totally removed from the computer. The larger hard drives that are in desktop or similar computers need a powersource, laptop hard drives are powered right through the data connection. Then you can copy/paste, drag, cut, move do whatever you want. This is especially handy in cases when the CPU has died or windows crashed, because you just use the operating system on second computer. There is also no software to install with this either it's literally Plug-N-Play.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I tried the easy cable and it didnt work . Did it manually

Vista works fine .

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
That's why we got this, with this there's no need to power up the old computer, all you have to do is connect to your usb port on a computer(my laptop) then hook the other end to the hard drive you want info off off, if it's a big hard drive then there's a power source that comes with the adapter so you can power up the hard drive even if it's been totally removed from the computer. The larger hard drives that are in desktop or similar computers need a powersource, laptop hard drives are powered right through the data connection. Then you can copy/paste, drag, cut, move do whatever you want. This is especially handy in cases when the CPU has died or windows crashed, because you just use the operating system on second computer. There is also no software to install with this either it's literally Plug-N-Play.

Sounds excellent! Way better than that Belkin non$ense.

I've never tried the easy transfer since it is not necessary and cost money. It probably just uses functions built into the operating system, seems like a ripoff.

I know that Vista has some built in easy transfer type program, but I don't use it as I like to be in control. Start, all programs, accessories, system tools, Windows Easy Transfer. Click your way into it. Don't transfer to Cd's unless you don't have many Gib's of files and you do have forever and a big stack of Cd's.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for all the good suggestions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts