Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, one of the guys we work with has an 8' Boss spreader w/ a 10 hp Briggs (2.0 yards I think, didn't look). Problem is that the electric clutch is frozen in the engaged position. You can see the clutch move ever so slightly when you try to engage it so I know the electrical end of things is going on and off. It's just stuck through neglect. We just couldn't break it free. So...replacement is in the future. Is the clutch pack pressed onto the spindle to the spinner? We broke it down as much as practical (until dinner LOL :D ) but I didn't see an easy way to get the clutch pack off the spindle. I told him to plan on replacing it...so if anyone knows a good source you could throw that my way too. Matter of fact he needs a cutting edge for his 9'2" Boss V also.

Glad our stuff is all ready.... he's two for two with problems and still four more major pieces to go!!!

Thanks!

Pete :usa

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll give it a shot with a BFH and see if it won't pop off.

Pete :usa

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Since the clutch seems to be only "stuck" and is electrically disengaged how about trying a load of something gritty, like fine crushed stone, and see if it will break free when it's under load.

It's pretty common for clutches in old tractors to stick like that. And just about as common to drive them up against something solid (with the pedal down) to get enough force to break the bond.

What I wonder is what made it stick in the first place. Vehicle clutches stick because they sit for long periods in the engaged condition. An electric clutch defaults to disengaged so there shouldn't be any contact points to bond drive and driven sides.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no idea what made it stick, but if this one is any indication of what the next spreader of his we get to try to make work.....it's gonna be a loooong week! :D

And to think we had to darn near drag him to his equipment to get him to start going over it before the first snow. In his defense though...he's trying to build his new house and has his first kid on the way....probably kind of whacked out right now!

Thanks Alan, I'll try the jam trick.....can't hurt!

Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts