Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an old truck and Boss v-plow that I bought a few years ago. The plow motor has always seemed a bit weak, so I've baby'd it (retracting blades before lifting, etc.). First time out this year, on Sunday, and after a few passes, the plow wouldn't go up anymore. I've done a fair amount of troubleshooting, and think it is probably the motor, but I'd like some other opinions on whether I'm guessing correctly.

Here is what I've done so far:

1) I think the power solenoid *was* working when I first started messing around, but I think it died after shorting across its posts to test it. It does click, but I'm not getting continuity across the positive cable posts when it does. All other testing has been done by jumping directly from one of the batteries to the positive post on the pump motor.

2) The right and left blades do move forward and backward. They've never been really strong doing this when the plow is down, and now is no different, but they do move.

3) Pressing the down button on the remote does seem to extend the lift piston. Pressing up doesn't seem to do anything, other than relieve a little of the pressure from pressing down.

4) I took out the left blade valve, the hitch hookup valve, and the up/down valve, and valve solenoids and tested them with a battery connection. The hitch hookup valve doesn't behave like the others. The other valves, when standing alone, can be pushed in at the tip and they spring back. the hitch hookup valve doesn't spring back. The hitch hookup switch never worked with this plow either and I wasn't sure if it was wiring or the valve. It could be both, but that isn't my main goal right now. I just wan the up/down to work. The up/down valve maybe wasn't as "clicky" as the left blade valve.

5) I swapped the valves around, with the hitch hookup valve in the left blade location, the up/down valve in the right blade location, the left blade valve in the up/down location and the right blade valve in the hitch hookup location. The right blade still works. The left blade does not. This would seem to confirm that the hitch hookup valve is broken. The up/down still doesn't work, other than what I mentioned above about "down" pushing a little bit and "up" relieving that little bit of pressure.

6) I measured voltage at each valve solenoid while someone else pressed the buttons on the remote. Both blades and the up/down show voltage when retract (for blades) or down is pressed on the remote and show no voltage when extend (for blades) or up is pressed on the remote.

7) When the up/down piston is disconnected at its top end from the harness, it still doesn't compress when pressing up.

I am inclined to think the motor/pump finally reached the point where it just isn't able to produce enough power, but I don't understand why the blades will still move, yet the up/down piston won't compress when it has no load on it. Does it take a lot of power just to compress the piston and lifting the blade is a side effect of the compression of the piston, and the left/right blade pistons don't require a lot of power? If so, then the motor is strong enough to move the blades, but not to compress the up/down piston?

Or could something be wrong inside the up/down piston and that is why it won't compress, but the motor is fine?

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to buy a new motor if I don't need to.

Thanks!
David

·
Registered
1 Posts
boss issues

I have a very old Boss. I had the motor go, my controller, lift cyl. and lights. One time I knew all was good, but I still got no response, so, we cleaned out all the little ports on the pump, where the hoses hook up, they were all clogged up.
then check the little relief valve if you have one on the lift Cyl, take it out, and try to lift, it will shoot oil, but, if the valve is bad it will lift. If none of the4se then a hose may be clogged, or a bad lift cyl.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts