Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new plow used it twice center(rubber) shoe is leaving mark in snow and digging in its wearing off chunks out of it...its not going to last long at this rate.Should i lower steel shoe? if i do will it not leave mark then?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I don't know what is "normal" with the Boss, but from my experience, the snow catcher may be sitting a little lower than the cutting edge initially until it wears down. So you'll get that snow catcher impression where it cleans the snow clear to the pavement while the wings are leaving a little skim coat of snow behind.

The catcher will loose a few chunks here and there but should remain intact under normal conditions. I have yet to rip an OEM catcher off completely. I plowed last year (about 150 to 200 hours) on one catcher and cutting edges. There wasn't much left of them by the end of the year, but I did it.

Bottom line... I wouldn't worry at this point. Eventually you'll wear the rubber down and you'll be riding on the steel edges.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
A Blizzard 810 is a good fix :)

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I fixed my Boss center shoe problem once and for all.:D . Blizzard 810 Other than that i loved the boss V.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hmmm I thought this was the Boss section;)

Back to the OP's problem, Mine was doing the same thing until I ran it a few times and each time got better till everything wore in.

I belive it also depends on the surface, while strecting across 8' or so with a solid steel surface some surfaces will leave high and low spots.

Ken

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mike! Get that piece of **** BLIZZARD pic off here now!!!!:argue
Fordhipo, I have had the same problem with my center shoe. Lawn Lad is right though, it will eventually wear down and be running on the steel edge instead of just rubber. I just put on a new center shoe on my 9'2" my other blade has never lost the center shoe in 2 years. Can't understand it, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't! Boss is the best blade out on the market today. Blizzard needs to get some issues dealt with before i will buy one. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well, now that I've switched from urethane cutting edges back to new steel edges, my catcher is a little small relative the new steel edges. So now I leave a little 1/4" thick trail of snow. I'll wind up leaving this trail until I wear the steel down even with the catcher. Just goes to show the inverse of your problem 03GMC can happen as well!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hey guys dont keep posting stuff about Blizzard, I like my boss and I wouldnt change it. If you look at boss section their is hardly 200 posts while blizzard is 400 + I mean its my wing is froze no my lights dont work no it wont move now my wing is froze again and can someone make a uedge and how do I get my wing unfroze. Get my hint and you dont see us over there WELL BUY A BOSS THIS IS THE FIX, and did you guys ever figure out how to get your wing unfroze!

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Don't know what forum you are on, but didn't read any of that on the ones I read.

Also a problem here or there, and now there are more than one of you with the same isolated problem.......

Sounds like a problem to me, that needs a major fix.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Personally I like the humor... solving Boss "problems" with a Blizzard. I can laugh a little.

I would say that I'm interested in trying a Blizzard. However, like anything, there is no single answer to all problems at hand, as much as the folks touting the Blizzard might like to have you believe.

For me personally, I like how a V blade transports on my salt truck. I think I will always use a V blade on a salt truck because it can clean up aisles and do light plowing as needed, with the primary purpose of the truck set up for salting. The V blade rides tucked into the fenders/bumpers and is unobtrusive. A straight blade must be manuervered while driving and navigating through traffice and parking lots. Although the Blizzard may "scoop" with the wings and "go wide" to 10', which is great on a plow truck, it doesn't work for me on a truck set up primarily for salting.

I'd like to give a Blizzard a whirl on a plow truck. I think it's worth trying out new technologies to see if we can improve our production times. I won't be so brand loyal that I wouldn't try something else. However, I think there is equipment for each application and there is no singular answer for applications.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Afeter diring around with a regular 9' on the front of a truck I would have to agree with you on the way the V plow does not have to be manuvered like a straigh blade does while salting...

Good comments Doug.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wouldn't know how to get around some streets with a straight plow . My 9'2" Boss V lays back against my fenders out of the way. With my Pro wings on my 8'2" I still have a 10 ft. plow and can catch a lot of snow. I forgot, I don't have a center shoe on my 8'2" and who cares about a quarter inch of snow three inches wide . Once the middle builds up with snow it stops going under my plow. My buddy just bought a Boss V 9'2" after having a Blizzard . His dad likes the Blizzard though. I gues someone has to like them!

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts