Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reviewing some information on the Blizzard plows and was a lcame up with some questions. The Blizzard 810 and the 810SS have a maximum wing angle of 30 degrees. Do you think this is because the wings are shorter? The 8611 has a maximum wing angle of 40 degrees. I know 10 degrees does not seem like much, but when you would be using these plows in the BucketBlade position I think it would make some difference? I don't know as I have never used either plow. What are your thoughts? I wonder if Blizzard could change the angle to make it 40 degrees like it's big brother? Maybe the extra 10 degrees would mean you could carry more snow in the BucketBlade position and overload you truck easier?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I don't really know but I think you might have answered your own question.
Maybe the extra 10 degrees would mean you could carry more snow in the BucketBlade position and overload you truck easier?

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I don't have any time with the 8611 to compare it to, but the 810 does a fine job of moving snow in the scoop position. Plus, when using the plow at an angled position with the forward wing canted ahead, there's virtually no spill off in consecutive passes, even when overlapping by only 6 inches.

Another consideration:

If you were to angle the wings further ahead as you suggest, you would narrow the overall width of the plow at the same time. This might negate any advantage the steeper angle would offer. My thoughts are the engineers have probably come up with the best combination to suit the 810.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
30 vs 40

Just speculation here, but the 810 is an older design, originally using 2 separate cylinders to slide out, then pivot the wing.

The 8611 uses a single cylinder to accomplish both functions with the aid of a cam that pivots the wing forward.

Just this year, Blizzard re-tooled the 810 to use the single cylinder.

I don't know if the new 810 still only angles forward 30 degrees or not, but perhaps the original reason was due to the cylinder geometry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts