1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

Wow...I just re-found you guy's tonight. Nice to see familiar names:waving

What happened?

Anyway, we are a few storms away from buying our second rig and was looking for some input for a plow. The truck will either be a 3/4 or 1 ton (still researching) and be used mostly for lots and maybe some town and city work. We will continue to use the 1/2 ton for residential work.

I was considering a v-plow but someone recommended a Blizzard 810 and after looking at thier site, was wondering how well the expandable wings held up. Just trying to weight the differences.

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
321 Posts
Go with the Blizzard 810, you will be glad you did. Great plow, while ours has only one storm under it's belt I'd give it a thumbs up. Moves tons of snow. Just do a search or check out the Blizzard section below on the main forums page.

Bob :D :D :burnout :burnout

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something from the past tells me these are/were problematic though. No doubt they can move allot of snow and reduce time, but reliability is a concern for me. One because the only dealer around here is an hour away and two because of higher costs associated to repairs.

Does anyone have a ballpark price for the 810?

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
140 Posts
We bought two 810's at an early season price in the fall of $3750 installed. Average around here is $4200- $4400 installed.

Do a search on plowsite if you need to to see the history of our Blizzard issues and others. Suffice it to say, even knowing the history of the early ones, we feel confident the company has responded and greatly improved the original design, and fixed the problems. The advantage definately is there over any other plow design for large jobs.

We felt confident enough in them to buy two this season.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Tom,

That is funny you say there were problems only because how everyone is saying how great the plows are even with the draw back that if you do not buy one in April you will not have one in November. They look great but that is also what I thought about the Vee Pro 8000. Can you just share a quick list of what the problems were and do they still exist? I am really thinking about getting a 8611, and a 810.

BTW nice to see you over at SIMA I just joined.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well, there were some 1999 plows I believe that had poor design on the wings, and were getting tweaked when hitting something, and actuall bending parts. I dont remember all of the details of the inner workings of the old wing style, but they listened and fixed the problems. Same thing with an old issue of ice/packed snow/gravel getting into the channels, they seemed to have made improvements to eliminate that. The old hydro setup was apparently much tougher to get at to work on, ,,etc....

Though I hate to recommend anyone go to plowsite, since it really sucks lately, you could do a search and see some of my old pics of the problems.

I honestly believe that they have solved those problems, and last year I know of 7 Blizzards run by personal friends who all had nothing but good to say of the plow.

My sub who had the old 810 with problems, replace it with an 8611 on his F350. It is quite a rig ! He sure can produce....

The supply issue I think is probably pretty common for young companies, who obviously have a hard time predicting demand. I dont hold it against them, but if the problem still exists 5 years from now, then I will wonder if its intentional....

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I was one of the first to buy a Blizzard from the other site, even after all the nay saying I encountered. First time out, it saved me 2 hours off a 12 hour run, that being totally unfamiliar with the controls and new truck. Since then I've shaved off another 2 hours after learning how to use the plow to its full potential.

I blew a couple hoses in that time by hitting raised basins, and cracked the wing moldboard as well. I blame this on driver error, any plow would have had damage from the shots I gave the plow, in fact I was surpised that was the only damage.

I never had any failure whatsoever with the pump/manifold assembly, the most complex part of the plow. It worked immediately every time I hooked up. This is the area the early plows had problems and started a poor reputation for Blizzard. The manifolds are outsourced and their original contractor had poor quality control, resulting in a number of faulty units. Blizzard has since changed contractors and gone through one redesign of the manifold and have eliminated the quality problems. They've also increased the pump capacity for a faster operating plow.

They've also redesigned the wing assembly for this year, eliminating 2 pistons and the 4 hoses that serviced them. These were the wing tilt pistons and were a bear to replace hoses on. This was a shop job, not something to be performed in the field. Now they don't exist and the plow functions as well as before.

The manifold is also the limiting factor in production numbers. Since it is outsourced, they try to anticipate the number that they'll need, but once the manifolds are used up, they can not produce any more plows for the season. For the jobber to retool the machines again for a short run of manifolds would make the plow too expensive for sale. Last I heard Blizzard was investigating making the manifolds in house.

If you look at the structure of the Blizzard, it's boxed steel, similar to what modern heavy equipment uses in their construction. In fact, another division of Blizzard makes dozer blades of the same design to fit D5 and D6 sized dozers, so the concept is proven.

Even with the few problems I've had, I'd buy another Blizzard for the time savings. I'm finished plowing 4 hours earlier, and customers have remarked at how well the plow cleans up. It's easier on me and my truck than the straight blade I had, this adds up to a better overall procedure with less fatigue.

I can't report vs. a V, but I was considering the purchase of a Boss V before I discovered the Blizzard.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi, GeeMc
I just bought a Blizzard 810 this year and have only used it a couple of times but I can tell you that this is a fantastic plow and time saver. We run 8 MVP plows so I can talk from expeience that the time savings are substantial and this plow cleans snow way better then any V plow. V plows always seem to leave more snow on the asphalt then straight blades which requires more salt to get rid of it. The Blizzard also back drags great, this plow has such a steep attack angle that a back drag edge is not required. We do 800 driveways each snow storm and this, not cleaning well of the V plow, has always been a thorn in my side. Hope this helps you in your decision. :drinkup

·
Registered
119 Posts
Bonzai said:
We do 800 driveways each snow storm
omg Holy crap, leave some for the rest of us! :D:salute

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Nova
All of our driveways are townhouse complexes, some have 200 in one complex:eek: Plus we do all the lanes also. Sounds worse then it is it takes us 4-5 hours to do all the drives in a normal storm, not to bad. I think I saw you the other day at Bayview and Weldrick, I recognized the truck.:burnout

·
Registered
119 Posts
Bonzai said:
Hey Nova
All of our driveways are townhouse complexes, some have 200 in one complex:eek: Plus we do all the lanes also. Sounds worse then it is it takes us 4-5 hours to do all the drives in a normal storm, not to bad. I think I saw you the other day at Bayview and Weldrick, I recognized the truck.:burnout
That's not bad at all. It takes me 4-6 hours to do 50 driveways.

Bayview & Weldrick, that's my area, but I don't remember being up there except on Monday. Anyway, I assume you do the complex at Bayview/7? I used to pass an enclosed Bonzai trailer on Bayview a few times a week during the summer. I can't remember what kind of truck was pulling it because that trailer really gets your attention!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Wow, 8 trucks do 800 driveways? :eek: Thats alot, that means, if you average it out, that each truck is doing 100 driveways each storm. Must be a nice account to have, a real money maker. :cash Mike :shades

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tom

you have a sub that has an 8611 on a f350?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yep ! It's quite the rig ! He sold it this summer, much to my dismay, and then yesterday I found out the guy he sold it to is a friend from church, who is in construction, and doesn't plow commercially, so maybe..... I will still have it in "the fleet" this year ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 350 held up with that plow on it. How did it push? Any extra springs or timbrins? Or if you know what rear end did it have in it?

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Bottom line is this, if you want to put a plow on truck this season unless you look long and hard, you will be hard pressed to find a blizzard. Come april you will up to your armpits in blizzard plows, but that doesnt help ayone right now does it. If you really want one, look into an area of the country that hasnt seen alot of snow yet, and pay for the shipping out east. I still dont understand the reasoning from blizzard to short the market. Its not like the valve bodies have a shelf life. Will they go bankrupt if thy have an extra 100-200 valve bodies on the shelf.
Can you imagine telling your ustomer I cant plow your lot, I underestimated the amount of snow we were going to get, and so I cant plow anymore. It i just ludicris. All the other plow makers including meyer are still making plows.
That all being said, look into the fisher x blade or western pro plus. Get some wings and go plow some snow. Lets face it, any plow is more effecient than no plow.
Blizzard = no plow right now
See youn the spring with truck loads of them.
Dino

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's not a problem of getting an 8611. I have 3 in stock. I was just curious on how the 350 that Pineisland sub's pushed with it on.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
I was responding to Bruce's question, however it is good to know that some blizzards are still avaiable.
Dino

1 - 20 of 49 Posts