Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After meeting the rep in Mass, I am rethinking buying the plow. They seem alot less interested in the customer, than making money. Very arrogant as well. Oh well, pro plus looks better all the time.
Dino

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Dunny Dino that's the way I feel about Fisher factory reps didn't really seam like the wanted to go that 110% to satisfy a customer. The son/owner of blizard anwered all my questions I just could not see it in actio at the show.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wow,
I had a great conversation with them both. Maybe it went better cause I already own 6 Blizzards. LOL

Spent the day with Jerre Heyer on Saturday and pretty much new all about the Blizzards. That man is a wealth of info.

Thanks Again Jerre

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Very surprising Dino. I dont know too many plow manufacturers where I can call their 800 number and speak directly with the owner or the CEO. I have had numerous conversations with Curt over at Blizzard and find them to be very helpful.

Jay

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I had some communication problems when I first purchased the 810ss but in fairness the dealer I was dealing with seemed to have a bit of a grudge against them to begin with.

However the people I met today seemed fair and friendly even after I told them I already had two of their plows and I had no plans to buy any plows in the imediate future. They answered all my questions and even talked about some of their future plans.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guy from Tarrant manf was the same way, very ****y.
My problem with the blizzard guy wasnt tech info or cust support, it was his explaination of when they make plows. If they sell out they dont have more available till april. So I asked what if a guy gets a new truck in Jan, and no plows are available, he said thats to bad, tuff luck. Well you must still be making some plows right now, even if the price might be higher than preseason, he said nope we shut down, couldnt make more plows if we wanted. That way the price will stay high for next year. Low supply and high demand. Its all about the money, poor marketing philosiphy if you ask me. Just my opinion, but I bet fisher western and even meyer ar still making plows.
Dino

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Dino

Because I am thinking about a new truck I too asked about getting a plow because I hear 810s are now scarce . . He told me that they continue to fabricate there in house parts . He said getting parts from their vendors is the problem ....they dont wait around for small lot buys . I am sure money always enters the equation . If I do get that new truck Blizzard may miss out on a sale .

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is the way I see it !

Blizzard put together a business plan and budget, talked to all their dealers about it. They asked how many plows each dealer wanted and went on with their plan to make X amount of plows. I am sure they built a few extra..... So what seems to be the problem? Just because their business plan worked out for them and they had a great year, everybody is ticked off?

This is where you need to have good communication with your dealer throughout the summer as you put your business plan and budget together.

Nobody stopped buying Harley Davidson's yet

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Great post Mike.

As it was explained to me and others at the show its a "projected growth" problem when it comes to out sourced parts.
If blizzard goes over their projected number of orders what are they supposed to do, find other suppliers and possibly jeopardize their relationship with the original one's or get inferior products from new suppliers? Companies now keep very little stock in supply. Why do you think when ever theres a rail or dock strike the country almost shuts down?

As to Fisher or Western still making plows now and through the winter thats probably true. However does anyone really think that if the country went into a snow drought for say two or three years (god forbid) that they wouldn't at least curtail production? These are businesses so making money and staying in business is always going to be preferable to making great products but going under.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Let's see now, first the Blizzard guys are arrogant and now Tarrant? You don't suppose your "magnetic charm" had anything to do with it?

I explained in another post that the aluminum manifold required by the 810 is sourced out and unique, this is the limiting factor in the production of their plows. They had problems with the first contractor who provided them, and found another who can provide a higher quality product. Unfortunately, the volume this contractor can handle is limited and when the supply of these manifolds runs out, so does the supply of 810s.

Blizzard has been investigating producing these manifolds in house, but apparently is not equipped to do so yet. Would anyone recommend them sacrificing quality over volume?

I mentioned how pleasantly I've been treated by the staff at Blizzard, both before and after my purchase of their plow. The same holds true for John Tarrant, owner of Tarrant Manufacturing.

After visiting their website, I called and asked to come to their facility to inspect the "Snowfighter", an F-550 based plow/sander truck. John immediately offered to bring one down to me to demo, a 2 1/2 hour trip for him. We met a couple days later, saw the truck and had lunch together.

After a little thought, I decided to order one. John brought the truck down to me a second time and we made out a detailed order sheet, based on some custom changes I wanted to make to my truck. The only thing John required from me was a handshake to start my order.

I was called a number of weeks later that the truck was ready, towards the end of June. I was in the real heat of business at that time and asked if they were open on Saturday. He stated no, they weren't, but when I explained that I couldn't afford to lose a day's work at that time during the week, he didn't hesitate to make arrangements for someone to make the delivery on a Saturday.

When I arrived early that Saturday morning, the employee was already there to greet me, and had the paperwork ready. He helped me load my truck and brought out some complimentary replacement parts. You couldn't ask for anyone to be more accomodating.

The original accounts in this thread don't anywhere near represent the experiences I've had with either company. I've met both John Tarrant and Kurt from Blizzard at shows months after purchasing their products, and both remember me by name and are very gracious. Real people in my opinion.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
I have met Kurl at my shop, he's a salemen, I would not call a rep arrogent.

From what I have figured out on my own assumptions, they want you to buy so many plows, and ask for payments from you. They don't want to finace money to make the plows.

And with the posts Mike Nelson and Pelcian made, that pretty much raps it up about their business plan.

Most of these dealer had a deadline that they could order plows by and after that, there is no garuntee they can get more.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Pelican,

I forgot about John Tarrant coming down to show me his Snowfighter.

He spent quite some time going over the truck and even waited for my foreman to get back to show him the truck.
Although we did not by one, I thought his product was real quality.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My personality had nothing to do with it. The rep had no name tag, and wasnt at his booth most of the time.
As far as I see it, the blizzard rep told us the factory is shut down, from now till after christmas. I can get a plow in April, but guess what, I DONT NEED A NEW PLOW IN APRIL, I will need one in January. Also they are no longer bringing in parts from the vendors. Worst case scenario, you order the same amount for delivery fo 12 months a year, that way your amount manufactured is consistant year round, given you wont be able to fullfill every order, but at least most customers will get what they want.
The rep said they do all this to keep prices high, and supply low. It is the most assinine sales pitch ever. You call me what you will, but you didnt hear the conversation or what he said. I my two employees were there and both dumbfounded by what he said.
As far as the tarrant rep is concerned, he had a 1.7 yd SS spreader on display, so I asked for a price, he replied in the 4800.00 range. I replied that was a little steep, about a grand to high. I can get an airflow SS 1.7 spreader for 3K, and the smith electric for 3800 out the door. He then replies that the smith is junk, wont spread mix, and that you need 10 batteries and 3 alternators to run it. Trust me he said it very condonsendingly. Basically he said his spreader was the only spreader that would ever work. This isnt saying that the manufactures feel the same way, but their sales rep need help with public relations.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I heard after you met the Blizzard rep, he wouldn't sell you a plow anyway. LOL

And I would go to bat anyday for the Smith Electric, they are a great unit.

Dino where can you get the sanders for those prices?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts